Which concert to get from the Victory Tour 1984?

R1chard

Proud Member
Hi guys,

I've always loved listening to live music, but so far I've only got the stuff that's been officially released. I'm more of an MJ fan than the J5, and I figure at this point there won't be any more official stuff, so I've been thinking about getting a bootleg DVD from this tour. I eventually want to end up with a recording from every tour, I guess I will work my way backwards.

A quick look on eBay reveals 3 DVDs: Kansas, Dallas and Toronto. The question is, to those who have some of them, which is best? Is the setlist the same every night? Do they all have the interlude? Which ones have Eddie Van Halen? Do they all have the same camera/editing/mastering?

In this case, my priorities would probably be (1) sound quality, (2) picture quality, (3) performance. It's obviously better to have all three, lol.

So can anybody shed some light on any differences? Any other dates worth looking at? Do they get tighter as the tour goes on? Perhaps they get more tired?

The only ones really "watchable" are these ones, to be honest...

Toronto is the best. You can probably find and download the concerts from 2000 Watts section of this forum. You don't have to buy bootleg DVDs.

Last edited:
Quality-wise:

1. Toronto
2. Kansas City
3. Dallas

Performance-wise:

1. Toronto
2. Dallas
3. Kansas City

Conclusion, get Toronto. Paying for a bootleg DVD is illegal, so you should go to 2000 Watts and download HappyLee's edition.

Im not sure he can access 2000 watts yet as not enough posts? maybe..

Im not sure he can access 2000 watts yet as not enough posts? maybe..

Correct. Junior members need to have at least ten posts before they are upgraded to Proud Member.
That's when they are able to gain access to 2000Watts.

The only ones really "watchable" are these ones, to be honest...
Thanks for those. There does seem to be a consensus on Toronto. It's a shame that wasn't the one with Eddie Van Halen.

The reason I have a preference for DVD is because
(1) Depending on the transfer, the quality will usually be a lot better than something on YouTube, which is often compressed then decompressed then compressed again. With a concert this old, I wanted to do everything possible to reduce any loss in quality.
(2) It's good just to have a copy - who knows when that link will suddenly stop working in the future, either because somebody closes their account, or lawyers get involved.

Conclusion, get Toronto. Paying for a bootleg DVD is illegal, so you should go to 2000 Watts and download HappyLee's edition.
I don't mind paying for a bootleg if it's good enough. I have plenty of CDs and DVDs from MJ and other artists (I've got a really good one of MJ duets and demos that I've never seen anywhere else, and I had Nirvana Live at Reading nearly 10 years before it had an official release).

Thanks for the heads up about 2000 Watts. I guess there's no rush.

(2) It's good just to have a copy - who knows when that link will suddenly stop working in the future, either because somebody closes their account, or lawyers get involved.
Which is why you should download it

Yeah, fair enough.

I'm thinking Sony have one last chance to do something about this. If they don't release anything for the 40th anniversary, then I'm just gonna get it all elsewhere

Like, I'm a patient man, but I guess 2024 will be their last chance.

I would agree with Hulk. Toronto is the best quality source we have. I wish Dallas was in better quality especially since Eddie is in it. I would recommend downloading the best source instead of bootlegs unless you really just want a DVD. You can burn your own if your pc still has a disc drive. Happy Lee made an enhanced mkv version few years ago.

As for any official release, we now know they have LA 84 on film. If they dont remove the footage from the T40 doc then theres no excuse not to release it.

Who's Eddie? If you don't mind me asking
eddieandmichael_2012.jpg

ohhhhhhhhh my he slipped my mind! Yes! NOW I remember that he played in a few of the Victory Tour concerts! Thank you!

I would agree with Hulk. Toronto is the best quality source we have. I wish Dallas was in better quality especially since Eddie is in it. I would recommend downloading the best source instead of bootlegs unless you really just want a DVD. You can burn your own if your pc still has a disc drive. Happy Lee made an enhanced mkv version few years ago.

As for any official release, we now know they have LA 84 on film. If they dont remove the footage from the T40 doc then theres no excuse not to release it.
Wow, so LA is the show in the doc? Is it the last Victory Tour date or a different show?

Wow, so LA is the show in the doc? Is it the last Victory Tour date or a different show?
According to other members its LA. No idea what date though. For years we knew the tour was filmed, we just didnt know what dates. Chicago was rumored to be also. I wish WBSS leaked from the doc.

According to other members its LA. No idea what date though. For years we knew the tour was filmed, we just didnt know what dates. Chicago was rumored to be also. I wish WBSS leaked from the doc.
From my own analysis, chances are high that HN at least is from the final date.

This report here says that 30 miles of film had been shot already up until the Chicago concerts.
Assuming MJ had the crew use 35mm film rather than 16mm and knowing that the size of a 35mm frame is 24mm x 36mm (tall x wide), it means that there were 2.011.680 frames (48.280.320 x 24) [as 30mi = 48.280.320mm and frames run vertically].

Average framerate of film is 24fps, so:
2.011.680 / 24 = 83.820 seconds or 1397 minutes of footage. Roughly 24 hours of footage from 32 shows (that is if every show was shot either completely or portions).

Assuming they had more than one film camera rolling, these 24 hours must be divided by the number of cameras used.

Anyway, I'm assuming one or more LA shows were shot in their entirety.

From my own analysis, chances are high that HN at least is from the final date.
Can't be. If you take look at the Shake Your Body footage, the brothers wear completely different outfits.

Can't be. If you take look at the Shake Your Body footage, the brothers wear completely different outfits.
Well, true. You just reminded me I'm making confusion. Is it the first show that we have no footage from?

Isn't that "official" HH clip from LA also?

Yes, kind of. Judging by those "same fans" and the way things were placed on stage, some of the footage is from LA. This is another case of APOM and how clips were taken from different shows & edited for a promo video. I always wonder when the official Jackson account posted this video and quickly deleted it. Was a Victory Tour show being released then and the MJ Estate blocked it or was it just a promo/throwaway video? And did that HH clip come from the "rumored" Victory Tour laser disc cancelled release or another source?

Yes, kind of. Judging by those "same fans" and the way things were placed on stage, some of the footage is from LA. This is another case of APOM and how clips were taken from different shows & edited for a promo video. I always wonder when the official Jackson account posted this video and quickly deleted it. Was a Victory Tour show being released then and the MJ Estate blocked it or was it just a promo/throwaway video? And did that HH clip come from the "rumored" Victory Tour laser disc cancelled release or another source?
I remember when they posted it. I think it was for the 30th anniversary of victory. I guess for legal reasons it had to be taken down? I think this clip was either a recent, quick promo edit or an old one. Although it's hard to tell. I wonder if they just found/digitized the victory tour film for T40.

Back