View Poll Results: Which song do you want to trend/chart?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • For All Time

3 60.00%
  • Cry

0 0%
  • On The Line

2 40.00%
  • Someone Put Your Hand Out

0 0%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Question- As fans can we get unheard tracks like *for all time* we've had enough, trending?

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger First ClassVeteranOverdrive50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,114 Posts

Default hits

Quote Originally Posted by mj_frenzy View Post
    I could mention many sad, dark songs (self-written in an honest way by the singer, or the band) which are about the difficulties and problems of their personal lives, or about general sad themes, and they have become big hits.

Some of them, off the top of my head:

‘Don't Go Away’ (1997) by Oasis, which is about serious health issues of the band’s family members.

‘Fallin'’ (2001), by Alicia Keys, which is about the difficulties of her relationship but also about the difficulties of any love relationship.

‘Jesus To A Child’ (1996) by George Michael, which is about his grief because of the loss of his Brazilian lover Anselmo Feleppa.

‘I Get Lonely’ (1997) by Janet Jackson, which is about her depression, emotional emptiness and loneliness at the time.

‘Time After Time’ (1983) by Cyndi Lauper, which is about the big difficulties of her relationship with her boyfriend.

‘Stranger In Moscow’ (1995) by Michael Jackson, which is about his feelings of isolation and loneliness (although not a hit in US, it became a hit internationally).

‘Ordinary World’ (1993) and ‘Out Of My Mind’ (1997), two songs that Simon Le Bon (from Duran Duran) wrote and he dedicated to the loss of his childhood friend David Miles.

Or even, ‘Purple Rain’ (1984) by Prince, which is about death and about the end of the world (purple comes from the mix of the two colours of the sky, blue and red (red symbolizes blood).
    You keep mentioning sad songs, which I said nothing about. I said most hit songs are not about the performers' personal life, not that personal songs didn't become hits at all. It's like me saying more people eat at McDonald's than at vegan restaurants, then you saying people do eat at vegan places, which has nothing to do with what I said. "Personal life" & "sad songs" are two different things. Just because a song is sad does not mean it's about the singer's life. You could say Maxwell's Silver Hammer is a sad song going by the lyrics, but the arrangement makes it sound happy. It's doubtful that Maxwell's Silver Hammer had anything to do with Paul McCartney's or any of the other Beatles life.

Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 6
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Default Re: hits

Maxwell Silver Hammer was a metaphor for when things went wrong in Paul's life. Bad example haha.

Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 322
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DuranDuran View Post
    You keep mentioning sad songs, which I said nothing about. I said most hit songs are not about the performers' personal life, not that personal songs didn't become hits at all. It's like me saying more people eat at McDonald's than at vegan restaurants, then you saying people do eat at vegan places, which has nothing to do with what I said. "Personal life" & "sad songs" are two different things. Just because a song is sad does not mean it's about the singer's life. You could say Maxwell's Silver Hammer is a sad song going by the lyrics, but the arrangement makes it sound happy. It's doubtful that Maxwell's Silver Hammer had anything to do with Paul McCartney's or any of the other Beatles life.
    "Personal life" and "sad songs" are two different things, but songs about the singer’s/band’s personal life are, most of the time, sad songs.

Paul McCartney but also countless other artists and bands do write and release sad, personal songs quite often because this song-writing process acts as some sort of a psychotherapy session to them.

Just like the ‘Maxwell's Silver Hammer’ song that you brought up, which is actually about Paul McCartney’s sad, negative issues of his personal life.

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger First ClassVeteranOverdrive50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,114 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mj_frenzy View Post
    Paul McCartney but also countless other artists and bands do write and release sad, personal songs quite often because this song-writing process acts as some sort of a psychotherapy session to them.
    I'm aware of that. Still what does that have to do with the ratio of "personal life" songs that become hits compared to non-personal songs? Which is what I said in the first place. The entire blues genre is full of sad songs, but I'm not talking about "sad songs". I'm talking about "personal life songs" that become hits. You're talking about an entire different thing from what I am which was this:

"
    Are you sure about that? Because most songs that become hits, especially Top 40 pop hits, are not about the singer's/band's personal problems and they're not protest songs either. That was more popular with the boomer hippy generation."

There's nothing in that statement about why people write sad songs and the words "sad songs" are not mentioned. Then I replied to another poster:

I think people in general just want their entertainment to be an escape from everyday life. It's like New Kids On The Block albums sold way more than any album by Bob Dylan. A lot of people don't even care about what the song is about. It's like what the people on American Bandstand used to say "it has a good beat and I can dance to it".

Again I did not say anything about why people write sad songs (or any type of song for that matter), that sad songs do not exist, or that audiences do not listen to them. I didn't even say anything about "sad songs" becoming radio hits either. I clearly used the words "personal problems/personal life". My comments are basically saying "Marvel superhero movies" make more money than "art films" or the Thriller album sold more than Billy Ocean's Suddenly album. Then you bring up something totally unrelated like "Billy Ocean has a song called There'll Be Sad Songs (To Make You Cry). Billy wrote that song for this reason". Why a song was written has nothing to do with how many songs become hits. What I'm saying is more about statistics.

Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 288
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Default Re: Question- As fans can we get unheard tracks like *for all time* we've had enough, trending?

Ok, so this thread has definitely gone way off subject!

Can we agree or do a poll to see what song most people would like to try and promote to get in at least top 10 . If it got higher than that it would be amazing!

I think for run up to Christmas/Christmas For All Time would be an amazing song that would remind people how incredible Michael's songwriting skill was and his vocals soar on this song.

Let's start with that and see what everyone thinks. I am not even talking about just unreleased but also some songs that the general public may of not have heard!

Eg: Whatever happens, Butterflies, etc.

Could we do some kind of poll please? I am considering taking this to twitter and even fb to see if we can get these gems in the airwaves.

Please let me know what you all think?

Just say yes or no , but if No then a good reason why not too!

If someone can make a poll so we can vote it would be most appreciated.

*beatlesboy*

Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 123
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Overdrive5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thanks

Default Re: Question- As fans can we get unheard tracks like *for all time* we've had enough, trending?

Quote Originally Posted by xscape guy 2003 View Post
    I think for run up to Christmas/Christmas For All Time would be an amazing song that would remind people how incredible Michael's songwriting skill was and his vocals soar on this song.
    For All Time wasn't written by MJ.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

So are we in agreement that For All Time should be what we focus on?

Can we sort this into a poll please?

Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 635
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,170 Times in 558 Posts

So are we in agreement that For All Time should be what we focus on?

Can we sort this into a poll please?
    If you want us to add a poll to this thread then decide which options you want.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Hi Anna,

Thanks for saying this.

Will people get behind this?

I will take this to twitter and fb as well.

The options I am thinking is
    1. For all time
    2. Someone put your hand out.
    3. On the line
    I am trying to put across positive and up beat songs for the holiday season. However if someone wants to add more or thinks we should include weve had enough etc. Then let me know.

I would much rather see how this goes and we agree on a song and then we all agree to buy it if we can. If not we stream as much as possible.

I think butterflies or break of dawn could go on that list too.

Tell me what you all think?

Once we see how this goes then maybe we can think of what's next to do for the start of 2021.

*beatlesboy*

10. The Following User Says Thank You to xscape guy 2003 For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 322
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DuranDuran View Post
    I'm aware of that. Still what does that have to do with the ratio of "personal life" songs that become hits compared to non-personal songs? Which is what I said in the first place. The entire blues genre is full of sad songs, but I'm not talking about "sad songs". I'm talking about "personal life songs" that become hits. You're talking about an entire different thing from what I am which was this:

"
    Are you sure about that? Because most songs that become hits, especially Top 40 pop hits, are not about the singer's/band's personal problems and they're not protest songs either. That was more popular with the boomer hippy generation."

There's nothing in that statement about why people write sad songs and the words "sad songs" are not mentioned. Then I replied to another poster:

I think people in general just want their entertainment to be an escape from everyday life. It's like New Kids On The Block albums sold way more than any album by Bob Dylan. A lot of people don't even care about what the song is about. It's like what the people on American Bandstand used to say "it has a good beat and I can dance to it".

Again I did not say anything about why people write sad songs (or any type of song for that matter), that sad songs do not exist, or that audiences do not listen to them. I didn't even say anything about "sad songs" becoming radio hits either. I clearly used the words "personal problems/personal life". My comments are basically saying "Marvel superhero movies" make more money than "art films" or the Thriller album sold more than Billy Ocean's Suddenly album. Then you bring up something totally unrelated like "Billy Ocean has a song called There'll Be Sad Songs (To Make You Cry). Billy wrote that song for this reason". Why a song was written has nothing to do with how many songs become hits. What I'm saying is more about statistics.
    My point, and main disagreement with you, is that "personal life songs" (which are mostly sad songs) can become hits as easily as the happy, uplifting songs.

Also, if you look at Michael Jackson’s hit songs from his entire solo career, you will realize that his hit sad songs (about his personal issues, paranoia, but also about other general negative issues like social issues, environmental issues, protest themes, etc) are actually more than his hit happy songs.

Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 161
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsOverdriveTagger Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,196 Posts

Hi Anna,

Thanks for saying this.

Will people get behind this?

I will take this to twitter and fb as well.

The options I am thinking is
    1. For all time
    2. Someone put your hand out.
    3. On the line
    I am trying to put across positive and up beat songs for the holiday season. However if someone wants to add more or thinks we should include weve had enough etc. Then let me know.

I would much rather see how this goes and we agree on a song and then we all agree to buy it if we can. If not we stream as much as possible.

I think butterflies or break of dawn could go on that list too.

Tell me what you all think?

Once we see how this goes then maybe we can think of what's next to do for the start of 2021.

*beatlesboy*
    Butterflies and Break of Dawn are not really "unheard tracks", as they've been released on a major studio album.

I'm thinking we could have For All Time, On the Line, We've Had Enough and Someone Put Your Hand Out in the poll. We can choose a song by popular vote and then try to get it trending, and/or stream it/buy it, etc. If anyone has other suggestions for the poll, then please add them here. Then either Anna or I can add the poll.

Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 384
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranTagger Second Class10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,167 Times in 548 Posts

"We've had enough" probably has the best potential for this.
    It's a song with a message many fans would want to get out and musically the song is simply great.
    I like some of the other suggested songs, but I think in comparison they are all way less popular among fans.

Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 32
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    7 days registered

Level
    Thanks

I think Cry should've been number one. It's a perfect song for right now.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Sorry you clearly misunderstood me I am talking about the unreleased commercially or very little heard of.

I think if you was to say to *Joe public* who sang "whatever happens" or "butterflies" or even "break of dawn" they would say never heard of them or if you asked what artist or band they would not have a clue!

I know these are on released albums but they never got much exposure when that album came out.
    I also think and agree that *cry* should be on that list too.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

We need some agreement what songs we are going to go with for a poll and then whatever wins should be promoted by way of streaming, buying etc.

What's everyone's views as I want to get this moving now.

Once we have done one then we could progress to the next one on poll and so on.