Improving MJ stuff on Wikipedia

R1chard

Proud Member
Hi guys,

I do quite a bit of editing on Wikipedia, on a range of subjects. Recently I've been working on:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_concert_tours_by_Michael_Jackson_and_the_Jackson_5

Examples: I've created the graphical timeline for the musicians, and also the world map. However, sometimes there is a lack of information, or I might make a typo.

I'm wondering if anybody here can spot an error (eg countries he/they played that are not shaded on the map).

Also, there seems to be a lack of information around the Goin Places era. For example, when did Johny Jackson stop playing drums? When did Jonathan Moffett start? Was there anybody between the two?

Also, if anybody has some ideas for stuff that could be added...

I've made some progress. I've found out that Tony Lewis comes between the two of them.

But now the question becomes "When did Tony Lewis start playing drums? Was there anybody between the two?"

Somebody must have some tour programmes from about 1977?

Nobody have any info?

On a related note, I've now made the tour map interactive. Trouble is, Wikipedia doesn't allow javascript. So if anybody is running a website and can host SVG images, let me know.

Re: Improving MJ Information on Wikipedia

Correct stuff on wiki? I think they have better things to do?

I meant particularly the family tree part of it - or perhaps family representatives could work on it, if not actual family members.

Every fan here should read (and improve) a Michael Jackson's wiki page.
It's the only way to preserve and share Michael's legacy among people who are not aware of his humanitarian actions beyond his successful career.
(Too many haters out there...)

Re: Improving MJ Information on Wikipedia

Shouldn't the family do something like that?
No. Under Wikipedia rules, the family are not allowed to edit. They're not independent enough from the subject.

After a long battle, Leaving Neverland was recently removed from the lead of MJ's main Wiki article.

R1chard;4321705 said:
No. Under Wikipedia rules, the family are not allowed to edit. They're not independent enough from the subject.

The Jackson family members are not allowed themselves to edit (as they are not independent enough from the subject), but they can submit their edits to the editors that they had chosen for that editing work on their Wikipedia page.

The editors then can edit these parts according to the family’s wish.

So, that problem is solved.

This is also not a conflict of interest, it does not violate Wikipedia’s editing rules, and it actually happens quite a lot generally with many artists and their families (they appoint such editing corrections to editors who later make the appropriate edits/updates on their Wikipedia page).

mj_frenzy;4322192 said:
they can submit their edits to the editors that they had chosen for that editing work on their Wikipedia page.

The editors then can edit these parts according to the family’s wish.

So, that problem is solved.

This is also not a conflict of interest, it does not violate Wikipedia’s editing rules, and it actually happens quite a lot generally with many artists and their families (they appoint such editing corrections to editors who later make the appropriate edits/updates on their Wikipedia page).
But it doesn't matter whether the family make the edits themselves or whether they pay someone to do it.

This is very different to Facebook and Twitter. This isn't just an extension of the estate's PR machine. This is a place for encyclopedic content that people can use for reference...

Here's one I really need help with.

In the Category system, there are categories for Songs in each key, like A-minor, D#, etc. So we can add one to every song. This will make it easier to find songs, and they will be grouped together. The trouble is there are literally hundreds of them!

Here's where to start:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Songs_by_key

Back