Strawberry Fields cover

Wilmert

Proud Member
Does anybody know if this cover is a real thing? I've seen it referenced in Wikipedia and I was wondering given all the talk about how most everything MJ left behind lacks vocals if this is an exception. Fingers crossed. It would be super interesting.

Michael didn't unfortunately record any vocals for Strawberry Fields. I so wish he had covered SF instead of Come Together.

Several engineers have said they know nothing about a Strawberry Fields cover, so the likelihood of it existing is slim to none (but not definite -- it could just be one of those songs that some insiders had no idea existed, like "Abortion Papers").

The myth of MJ recording this song came from a CallHector special on one of the Black&White post.mortem issues, not wikipedia, which showed something of a different artwork of Decade and it said only 3 copies were made.

And like others said, no producer has yet confirmed the existence of this recording.

Last edited:
It would be an odd choice for a cover song for Michael, IMO. That said, one could argue that "Come Together" was also an odd choice and look what he did with it. Completely amazing! (Better than the original....hahaha!)

AlwaysThere;4309474 said:
Several engineers have said they know nothing about a Strawberry Fields cover, so the likelihood of it existing is slim to none (but not definite -- it could just be one of those songs that some insiders had no idea existed, like "Abortion Papers").

That is because he never recorded a cover version of ‘Strawberry Fields Forever’.

Michael Jackson acted on Bill Bottrell’s advice, who advised him that they should focus on only one Beatles song (‘Come Together’).

During the Bad sessions, Michael asked me to drive him home to Westwood one night. During the drive, we played lots of Beatles songs he had compiled on a tape, he was pretty interested in my opinion, and I told him we should pick Come Together” (Bill Bottrell)

That story (of him recording a cover version of ‘Strawberry Fields Forever’) emanated from a fake article inside the last issue of the Black & White Magazine.

Even the editors of that magazine admitted later that this article was a hoax.

I know what you mean.

Everyone and their Aunt has done a cover of Come Together. I do like MJs version, but Strawberry Fields would've been a much more inspired choice of cover.

mj_frenzy;4309568 said:
That is because he never recorded a cover version of ‘Strawberry Fields Forever’.

Michael Jackson acted on Bill Bottrell’s advice, who advised him that they should focus on only one Beatles song (‘Come Together’).

“During the Bad sessions, Michael asked me to drive him home to Westwood one night. During the drive, we played lots of Beatles songs he had compiled on a tape, he was pretty interested in my opinion, and I told him we should pick Come Together” (Bill Bottrell)

Eh?
Where does this quote say that:
1.) Bill Bottrell advised to focus only on one Beatles song?
2.) Michael ended up acting upon such alleged advice and didn't record other Beatles songs anyway?

Not that I believe that Michael recorded 'Strawberry Fields Forever’, or really care about it...
But mj_frenzy's logic is all over the place once again.

Last edited:
i wish michael cover more songs from 70's era. lots of great songs he could of cover. i haven't listen to the beatles come together but i knew it was from the beatles. people need to look up music history more.

The myth of MJ recording this song came from a CallHector special on one of the Black&White post.mortem issues, not wikipedia, which showed something of a different artwork of Decade and it said only 3 copies were made.

Has the authenticity of those covers ever been confirmed? I've seen three & one of them features "Strawberry Fields Forever", along with a "It Doesn't Really Matter", i'm very skeptical about that one.

Even the editors of that magazine admitted later that this article was a hoax.

When did that happened?

All I knew is that it was US the fans the ones that saw something shady about that whole article, however , I don't recall the editors ever saying anything about it.

Come Together

i wish michael cover more songs from 70's era. lots of great songs he could of cover.
He did on Motown, on both Jackson 5 and the solo albums there.
i haven't listen to the beatles come together but i knew it was from the beatles. people need to look up music history more.
I listen to the local classic rock station sometimes and they usually play the Aerosmith version. The station sometimes play the original, but they don't play as much 1960s music in general as they used to. Lots of Journey & Def Leppard though.

Whilst it isn't my favourite song, I do think he did a terrific cover of Come Together. It grooves much harder than the original.

Re: Come Together

As far I know it's not real. A lot of stuff on the Wikipedia is fake.
Actually it's only a little bit. So many people are editing MJ articles, and there are always more good people than bad.

And thinking about it, a general member of the public is not usually gonna vandalise an article with lies. Truth be told, it's more likely to be an MJ fan that blurs the line between fact and fiction...

Nevertheless, see my thread on here from the other day where I ask people to help out editing Wikipedia articles...

He did on Motown, on both Jackson 5 and the solo albums there.
I was gonna say this. You have 8 or 10 albums where literally more than half the songs are covers from the 60s and 70s.

Re: Come Together

You have 8 or 10 albums where literally more than half the songs are covers from the 60s and 70s.
That was common with albums of that era, not just Motown. There was a rock band called Vanilla Fudge who would do psychedelic versions of Top 40 hits.

Back