I Have This Dream questions

rumandraisin

Proud Member
What info is known about this track and how far they got recording it. I know in early 2006 there was a press release put out by maybe Ramone saying it was still being recorded. Although I've read stuff saying that the sessions were doing with MJ producing by phone from Bahrain.

There were this two photos of him in a recording studio in late 2005, from London? Presumably working on that track.

Michael Jackson wanted only black artists to contribute with their voices to the ‘I Have This Dream’ song (because that would give it the desired gospel feel).

As the song was being recorded (by those black artists), more artists who were also white came forward and asked to contribute to that song, so that caused a problem to the song’s original plans, and thus its recording came to a halt.

Because of that, since then the song’s all-star version remained incomplete, but Prince Abdullah confirmed that Michael Jackson did record a solo version of that song (that solo version served as the basis for the development of the all-star version of the song).

I think the song dates back further. I remember hearing about it prior to Invincible.

Links and promotion of other MJ fan sites is not permitted.

Lol it was literally a blog with an article that included info relevant to the topic of the thread? Wouldn't consider that promotion, way to stifle discussion.

Last edited:
ElectricEyes2;4309572 said:
I think the song dates back further. I remember hearing about it prior to Invincible.

That’s a different track!

Michael, Carole Bayer Sager, and David Foster worked on a song titled “I Have This Dream” in 1999. Michael described it as an anthem to bring humanity into the new millennium with optimism, but it got sidelined when Carole introduced him to Rodney Jerkins. (It was also subject to a DISASTROUS lyric writing competition in 2002.)

In 2005, after Hurricane Katrina, Michael wrote a totally separate song titled “I Have This Dream,” and worked on it from Bahrain. It features a chorus of black artists, from Snoop Dogg and Shirley Caesar to the O’Jays and James Ingram, but it never came out (though it was at least partially finished according to John Barnes, and does exist in some capacity, as a lucky few have heard it). Around 2007-08, Michael started reworking it as “Bottom of My Heart,” but he sadly never put vocals to it.

Lol it was literally a blog with an article that included info relevant to the topic of the thread? Wouldn't consider that promotion, way to stifle discussion.

It was a link to another fan site. Links to other fan sites are not permitted. This is clearly stated in the rules. If you want to post information from these places then post the information without linking to it.

It was a link to another fan site. Links to other fan sites are not permitted. This is clearly stated in the rules. If you want to post information from these places then post the information without linking to it.

You could have merely deleted the link from the posts if that was the problem. Deleting entire posts and then telling users to post it all again but without a link it is pretty silly.

You could have merely deleted the link from the posts if that was the problem. Deleting entire posts and then telling users to post it all again but without a link it is pretty silly.

"Entire posts". The first post is literally "Just found this article, with some interesting info. Hopefully we get to hear it one day." followed by the link. And the other post is a few sentences referencing information from the link, which makes no sense without the information from the link. If you want to continue complaining, please take it to PM.

And the there's From The Bottom Of My Heart. How much do we know about that from the same era

"Entire posts". The first post is literally "Just found this article, with some interesting info. Hopefully we get to hear it one day." followed by the link. And the other post is a few sentences referencing information from the link, which makes no sense without the information from the link. If you want to continue complaining, please take it to PM.

For some reason I thought the info had also been posted. General sentiment still stands though.

Last edited:
AlwaysThere;4309625 said:
That’s a different track!

Michael, Carole Bayer Sager, and David Foster worked on a song titled “I Have This Dream” in 1999. Michael described it as an anthem to bring humanity into the new millennium with optimism, but it got sidelined when Carole introduced him to Rodney Jerkins. (It was also subject to a DISASTROUS lyric writing competition in 2002.)

In 2005, after Hurricane Katrina, Michael wrote a totally separate song titled “I Have This Dream,” and worked on it from Bahrain. It features a chorus of black artists, from Snoop Dogg and Shirley Caesar to the O’Jays and James Ingram, but it never came out (though it was at least partially finished according to John Barnes, and does exist in some capacity, as a lucky few have heard it). Around 2007-08, Michael started reworking it as “Bottom of My Heart,” but he sadly never put vocals to it.

So I Have This Dream is probably able to be finished with what's available but Bottom Of My Heart is just using elements from it but is a totally different song?

So I Have This Dream is probably able to be finished with what's available but Bottom Of My Heart is just using elements from it but is a totally different song?

The all-star version of "I Have This Dream" is definitely complete in some capacity. No clue about an MJ solo version, but I'd put money down that one exists as a framework for the vocalists (similar to what was done for "We Are the World" and "What More Can I Give").

"I Have This Dream"/"Bottom of My Heart," as far as I'm aware, is comparable to "Al Capone"/"Smooth Criminal" -- song B is a polished, repurposed, rewritten version of song A. I have no idea how similar the two songs are though, and according to Damien Shields, vocals were never recorded.

AlwaysThere;4309625 said:

That begs the question, is the instrumental that's on YouTube the real deal, like, the version from this competition?

It's better to actually post the article here, with a link to the source, rather than just link straight to the blog or the website. That way discussion can continue, here, without members being led away from MJJC. That's always been the policy on this forum and also on quite a few others that I have been associated with.

Michael Jackson wanted only black artists to contribute with their voices to the ‘I Have This Dream’ song (because that would give it the desired gospel feel).

As the song was being recorded (by those black artists), more artists who were also white came forward and asked to contribute to that song, so that caused a problem to the song’s original plans, and thus its recording came to a halt.

Because of that, since then the song’s all-star version remained incomplete, but Prince Abdullah confirmed that Michael Jackson did record a solo version of that song (that solo version served as the basis for the development of the all-star version of the song).
Did the song i have this dream recorded do u have any new information

Did the song i have this dream recorded do u have any new information
Michael Jackson recorded the 'I Have This Dream' song (solo version) for his 'Invincible' album.

In 1999, the singer spoke about it.

TV Guide Magazine: "Is there a new Michael for the millennium?"

Michael Jackson: "Yeah … There's a song on the new album called 'I Have This Dream'. It's a millennium song about the world and the environment that I co-wrote with Carol Bayer Sager and David Foster"

'I Have This Dream' was even going to be one of the highlights of that album.

Michael Jackson recorded the 'I Have This Dream' song (solo version) for his 'Invincible' album.

In 1999, the singer spoke about it.

TV Guide Magazine: "Is there a new Michael for the millennium?"

Michael Jackson: "Yeah … There's a song on the new album called 'I Have This Dream'. It's a millennium song about the world and the environment that I co-wrote with Carol Bayer Sager and David Foster"

'I Have This Dream' was even going to be one of the highlights of that album.
With vocal ?

With vocal ?
Carole Bayer Sager described (during the 'Invincible' album sessions) 'I Have This Dream' as a song to take us into the year 2000 with hope, as a song of celebration of the changing times, and as a song for the future.

Michael Jackson also sounded very sure (in his interviews back then) about the inclusion of that song on his upcoming 'Invincible' album.

These things suggest that Michael Jackson had recorded it (with his vocals on it) for that album.

Carole Bayer Sager described (during the 'Invincible' album sessions) 'I Have This Dream' as a song to take us into the year 2000 with hope, as a song of celebration of the changing times, and as a song for the future.

Michael Jackson also sounded very sure (in his interviews back then) about the inclusion of that song on his upcoming 'Invincible' album.

These things suggest that Michael Jackson had recorded it (with his vocals on it) for that album.
What about men in black and hot fun in summertimes please

What about men in black and hot fun in summertimes please
'Hot Fun In The Summertime' exists, but not as a complete track.

'Hot Fun In The Summertime' was meant for the 'Xscape' album (2014), but eventually it did not make the official track list of that album.

Mary J. Blige and D'Angelo were about to sing Michael Jackson's missing vocal parts of the song (on the 'Xscape' album).

'Men In Black' exists as a complete track.

Bryan Loren co-produced this funky track, but eventually it did not make the official track list of the 'Dangerous' album.

Back