Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18

Thread: I Have This Dream questions

   
  1. #1
    Points: 7,121, Level: 55
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 29
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    53
    Points
    7,121
    Level
    55
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 12 Times in 8 Posts

    Default I Have This Dream questions

    What info is known about this track and how far they got recording it. I know in early 2006 there was a press release put out by maybe Ramone saying it was still being recorded. Although I've read stuff saying that the sessions were doing with MJ producing by phone from Bahrain.

    There were this two photos of him in a recording studio in late 2005, from London? Presumably working on that track.

  2. #2
    Points: 10,496, Level: 68
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 354
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    mj_frenzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    1,669
    Points
    10,496
    Level
    68
    Thanks
    35
    Thanked 812 Times in 463 Posts

    Default Re: I Have This Dream questions

    Michael Jackson wanted only black artists to contribute with their voices to the ‘I Have This Dream’ song (because that would give it the desired gospel feel).

    As the song was being recorded (by those black artists), more artists who were also white came forward and asked to contribute to that song, so that caused a problem to the song’s original plans, and thus its recording came to a halt.

    Because of that, since then the song’s all-star version remained incomplete, but Prince Abdullah confirmed that Michael Jackson did record a solo version of that song (that solo version served as the basis for the development of the all-star version of the song).

  3. #3
    Points: 68, Level: 1
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 32
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    7 days registered

    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Posts
    18
    Points
    68
    Level
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Re: I Have This Dream questions

    I think the song dates back further. I remember hearing about it prior to Invincible.

  4. #4
    Points: 26,669, Level: 97
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 681
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Anna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    6,555
    Points
    26,669
    Level
    97
    Thanks
    325
    Thanked 1,169 Times in 558 Posts

    Default Re: I Have This Dream questions

    Links and promotion of other MJ fan sites is not permitted.

  5. #5
    Points: 10,598, Level: 68
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 252
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Posts
    2,201
    Points
    10,598
    Level
    68
    Thanks
    3,135
    Thanked 1,617 Times in 892 Posts

    Default Re: I Have This Dream questions

    Lol it was literally a blog with an article that included info relevant to the topic of the thread? Wouldn't consider that promotion, way to stifle discussion.
    Last edited by SmoothGangsta; 16-11-2020 at 05:40 PM.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to SmoothGangsta For This Useful Post:


  7. #6
    Points: 6,370, Level: 52
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 180
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    AmitLal92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    167
    Points
    6,370
    Level
    52
    Thanks
    130
    Thanked 124 Times in 70 Posts

    Default Re: I Have This Dream questions

    Exactly lol
    Quote Originally Posted by SmoothGangsta View Post
    Lol it was literally a blog with an article that included info relevant to the topic of the thread? Wouldn't consider that promotion, way to stifle discussion.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to AmitLal92 For This Useful Post:


  9. #7
    Points: 22,205, Level: 92
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 145
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsOverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    3,309
    Points
    22,205
    Level
    92
    Thanks
    2,164
    Thanked 4,876 Times in 1,795 Posts

    Default Re: I Have This Dream questions

    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricEyes2 View Post
    I think the song dates back further. I remember hearing about it prior to Invincible.
    That’s a different track!

    Michael, Carole Bayer Sager, and David Foster worked on a song titled “I Have This Dream” in 1999. Michael described it as an anthem to bring humanity into the new millennium with optimism, but it got sidelined when Carole introduced him to Rodney Jerkins. (It was also subject to a DISASTROUS lyric writing competition in 2002.)

    In 2005, after Hurricane Katrina, Michael wrote a totally separate song titled “I Have This Dream,” and worked on it from Bahrain. It features a chorus of black artists, from Snoop Dogg and Shirley Caesar to the O’Jays and James Ingram, but it never came out (though it was at least partially finished according to John Barnes, and does exist in some capacity, as a lucky few have heard it). Around 2007-08, Michael started reworking it as “Bottom of My Heart,” but he sadly never put vocals to it.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to AlwaysThere For This Useful Post:


  11. #8
    Points: 26,669, Level: 97
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 681
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Anna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    6,555
    Points
    26,669
    Level
    97
    Thanks
    325
    Thanked 1,169 Times in 558 Posts

    Default Re: I Have This Dream questions

    Quote Originally Posted by SmoothGangsta View Post
    Lol it was literally a blog with an article that included info relevant to the topic of the thread? Wouldn't consider that promotion, way to stifle discussion.
    It was a link to another fan site. Links to other fan sites are not permitted. This is clearly stated in the rules. If you want to post information from these places then post the information without linking to it.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Anna For This Useful Post:


  13. #9
    Points: 10,598, Level: 68
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 252
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Posts
    2,201
    Points
    10,598
    Level
    68
    Thanks
    3,135
    Thanked 1,617 Times in 892 Posts

    Default Re: I Have This Dream questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Anna View Post
    It was a link to another fan site. Links to other fan sites are not permitted. This is clearly stated in the rules. If you want to post information from these places then post the information without linking to it.
    You could have merely deleted the link from the posts if that was the problem. Deleting entire posts and then telling users to post it all again but without a link it is pretty silly.

  14. #10
    Points: 26,669, Level: 97
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 681
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Anna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    6,555
    Points
    26,669
    Level
    97
    Thanks
    325
    Thanked 1,169 Times in 558 Posts

    Default Re: I Have This Dream questions

    Quote Originally Posted by SmoothGangsta View Post
    You could have merely deleted the link from the posts if that was the problem. Deleting entire posts and then telling users to post it all again but without a link it is pretty silly.
    "Entire posts". The first post is literally "Just found this article, with some interesting info. Hopefully we get to hear it one day." followed by the link. And the other post is a few sentences referencing information from the link, which makes no sense without the information from the link. If you want to continue complaining, please take it to PM.

  15. #11
    Points: 7,121, Level: 55
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 29
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    53
    Points
    7,121
    Level
    55
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 12 Times in 8 Posts

    Default Re: I Have This Dream questions

    And the there's From The Bottom Of My Heart. How much do we know about that from the same era

  16. #12
    Points: 10,598, Level: 68
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 252
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Posts
    2,201
    Points
    10,598
    Level
    68
    Thanks
    3,135
    Thanked 1,617 Times in 892 Posts

    Default Re: I Have This Dream questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Anna View Post
    "Entire posts". The first post is literally "Just found this article, with some interesting info. Hopefully we get to hear it one day." followed by the link. And the other post is a few sentences referencing information from the link, which makes no sense without the information from the link. If you want to continue complaining, please take it to PM.
    For some reason I thought the info had also been posted. General sentiment still stands though.
    Last edited by SmoothGangsta; 17-11-2020 at 10:38 AM.

  17. #13
    Points: 10,598, Level: 68
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 252
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Posts
    2,201
    Points
    10,598
    Level
    68
    Thanks
    3,135
    Thanked 1,617 Times in 892 Posts

    Default Re: I Have This Dream questions

    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysThere View Post
    That’s a different track!

    Michael, Carole Bayer Sager, and David Foster worked on a song titled “I Have This Dream” in 1999. Michael described it as an anthem to bring humanity into the new millennium with optimism, but it got sidelined when Carole introduced him to Rodney Jerkins. (It was also subject to a DISASTROUS lyric writing competition in 2002.)

    In 2005, after Hurricane Katrina, Michael wrote a totally separate song titled “I Have This Dream,” and worked on it from Bahrain. It features a chorus of black artists, from Snoop Dogg and Shirley Caesar to the O’Jays and James Ingram, but it never came out (though it was at least partially finished according to John Barnes, and does exist in some capacity, as a lucky few have heard it). Around 2007-08, Michael started reworking it as “Bottom of My Heart,” but he sadly never put vocals to it.
    So I Have This Dream is probably able to be finished with what's available but Bottom Of My Heart is just using elements from it but is a totally different song?

  18. #14
    Points: 22,205, Level: 92
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 145
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsOverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    3,309
    Points
    22,205
    Level
    92
    Thanks
    2,164
    Thanked 4,876 Times in 1,795 Posts

    Default Re: I Have This Dream questions

    Quote Originally Posted by SmoothGangsta View Post
    So I Have This Dream is probably able to be finished with what's available but Bottom Of My Heart is just using elements from it but is a totally different song?
    The all-star version of "I Have This Dream" is definitely complete in some capacity. No clue about an MJ solo version, but I'd put money down that one exists as a framework for the vocalists (similar to what was done for "We Are the World" and "What More Can I Give").

    "I Have This Dream"/"Bottom of My Heart," as far as I'm aware, is comparable to "Al Capone"/"Smooth Criminal" -- song B is a polished, repurposed, rewritten version of song A. I have no idea how similar the two songs are though, and according to Damien Shields, vocals were never recorded.

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to AlwaysThere For This Useful Post:


  20. #15
    Points: 787, Level: 14
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 13
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    14
    Points
    787
    Level
    14
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 7 Times in 4 Posts

    Default Re: I Have This Dream questions

    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysThere View Post
    Michael, Carole Bayer Sager, and David Foster worked on a song titled “I Have This Dream” in 1999. Michael described it as an anthem to bring humanity into the new millennium with optimism, but it got sidelined when Carole introduced him to Rodney Jerkins. (It was also subject to a DISASTROUS lyric writing competition in 2002.)
    That begs the question, is the instrumental that's on YouTube the real deal, like, the version from this competition?
    SUBSCRIBE TO MY CHANNEL, MJ TREASURY, ON YOUTUBE.


Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •