Unpopular opinions about MJ’s music?

AlwaysThere

Proud Member
I’m sure there are a million and two threads similar to this, but why not kickstart a fresh one with the gift of hindsight and leaks? :D

What are your hottest takes about MJ’s discography? I’ll throw a couple in to start:

- Off the Wall is Michael’s worst adult album. It’s good, but the genius moments are few and far between. Michael didn’t reach the stratosphere and artist until Thriller.
- “Privacy” is pretty good. I only got into it over the last month or so, but it definitely gets way too much hate.
- Dangerous would be Michael’s best album without “Why You Wanna Trip on Me,” “She Drives Me Wild,” and “Can’t Let Her Get Away.” They’re all decent, but they don’t measure up to anything else on the album.
- “We’ve Had Enough” is VERY overrated. It’s a great song, but I don’t think it’s the holy grail of MJ’s outtakes.
- The Estate’s priority should be on releasing new music. They have a MUCH higher chance at commercial success than anything else, and are basically guaranteed to draw people in. (Plus, how can you turn down new MJ tunes?)

- Invincible is his best album.

- Cry should've been number one and is better than We've Had Enough, which I agree is overrated.

- Just Good Friends isn't the worst song on Bad, Speed Demon is.

AlwaysThere;4310246 said:
- Off the Wall is Michael’s worst adult album. It’s good, but the genius moments are few and far between. Michael didn’t reach the stratosphere and artist until Thriller.

I don't think it's his worst album, but I do scratch my head whenever I see people (Mostly media and other celebs) say that it's his best work.

like you said there's already alot of threads like this. all the mods gonna do is merged them. i have this problem too. try searching the forum to find the topic your looking for. i use the SERACH FOURM to see what already exist. this site been up for 20 years now so topics like theses has been made by inactive and active users.

I'm not a massive Jackson 5 fan. I like some of their music but I'm mainly a fan of The Jackson's and Michael's adult solo work.

analogue;4310318 said:
I'm not a massive Jackson 5 fan. I like some of their music but I'm mainly a fan of The Jackson's and Michael's adult solo work.
I actually think that’s the popular opinion. So I’m gonna riff off what you said and say that Jackson 5/solo Motown/Jacksons are as much of a part of the MJ canon as anything from 1979-2009.

ElectricEyes2;4310256 said:
- Cry should've been number one and is better than We've Had Enough, which I agree is overrated.

I am sorry, but some ppl don´t have ears... only vocal delivery on WHE burries Cry nearly 4miles into the ground....

I’m sure there are a million and two threads similar to this, but why not kickstart a fresh one with the gift of hindsight and leaks? :D

What are your hottest takes about MJ’s discography? I’ll throw a couple in to start:

- “Privacy” is pretty good. I only got into it over the last month or so, but it definitely gets way too much hate.
- Dangerous would be Michael’s best album without “Why You Wanna Trip on Me,” “She Drives Me Wild,” and “Can’t Let Her Get Away.” They’re all decent, but they don’t measure up to anything else on the album.
- “We’ve Had Enough” is VERY overrated. It’s a great song, but I don’t think it’s the holy grail of MJ’s outtakes.
- The Estate’s priority should be on releasing new music. They have a MUCH higher chance at commercial success than anything else, and are basically guaranteed to draw people in. (Plus, how can you turn down new MJ tunes?)

I disagree.

‘Off The Wall’ is not his worst adult album, but it still sounds very fresh even so many years after its initial release.

Also, his vocal style on that album is by far better compared to his vocal style of any of his other adult albums (his vocal style on the ‘Off The Wall’ album also has influenced and inspired many other singers in the following years, and it continues to influence and inspire many top, current singers even these days).

‘Privacy’ is not a good song because melodically is mediocre, it revolves around a repeated and annoying camera’s mechanical sound, and his voice here is over-processed and thus unnatural.

‘Why You Wanna Trip On Me’ is a necessary inclusion on the ‘Dangerous’ album, and it fits the album’s overall theme and musical, aggressive tone.

I would say that Michael Jackson should have never included on that album his ‘Gone Too Soon’ cover song, simply because that album was his most creative album (at least, up to that point) meaning that cover songs should have had no place in it.

‘We’ve Had Enough’ is not an overrated song, but it fully deserves all the praise that it gets from his fans (it is among one of his best outtakes).

Oh you did not...:lmao:

Blue Gangster and Don't Be Messin' Round are just okay songs.
Butterflies is overrated within the fandom

Heal the World didn't do the Dangerous album any good.

Not sure if this is unpopular or not, but Michael should have stopped having rappers guest star on his albums after Dangerous.

Not sure if this is unpopular or not, but Michael should have stopped having rappers guest star on his albums after Dangerous.
I disagree. I love "This Time Around", "2Bad" (especially the Refugee Camp Remix) and "We Be Ballin'" to name a few :)

Sent from my Titan using Tapatalk

lubyss;4310382 said:
I am sorry, but some ppl don´t have ears... only vocal delivery on WHE burries Cry nearly 4miles into the ground....

Cry has a simplicity and a warmth to it that appeals to me. WHE is good also, but I prefer Cry.

- Off The Wall is Michael's most underrated album in the fanbase. It is Michael's most enjoyable album to listen to from start to finish.

- It's The Falling In Love is a very underrated song.

- Girlfriend is a cute song and it has grown on me a lot recently. It doesn't deserve the hate it gets.

- Some of Michael's later albums are too long and feel like a chore to listen to from start to finish in one sitting.

- The much hated ballads on Invincible are the highlights of the album. Give Me Don't Walk Away, You Are My Life, The Lost Children over Unbreakable, Invincible etc.

- Michael is much better than Xscape.

Working Day And Night is probably one of his worst songs.
Too long and too repetitive, especially the live version.

I don't agree that Working Day and Night is one of his worst songs.

But I agree that it isn't really that good live. I think fans overrated the live performance of that song. I actually find it really boring tbh.

Jackson Rules;4310479 said:

I wouldn’t say it’s one of his worst, but I see what you mean about the live performances. I absolutely love the first two minutes or so, but it does not warrant being stretched out to 10+ minutes. Same with Shake Your Body.

- Off The Wall is Michael's most underrated album in the fanbase. It is Michael's most enjoyable album to listen to from start to finish.
I feel the same. I love Off The Wall. It has so much energy and joy and Michael sounds great.

If he trimmed down the live version of WDAN then that would have giving him more room to add another one or two extra songs into the setlists.

The Lost Children has a strong melody and is extremely hummable.

Off the Wall has its staples but not one of the best MJ album.

For its faults, the Michael album does fairly well. They could have speant a little longer on it and could have minimized the synthy sounds. (HMH could be so much better)

Damn some of these opinions are hurting me on a molecular level :rollin:

Here it goes, I think the Invincible album is overrated by fans because it's Michael's least commercially successful album. The high points like, Break Of Dawn, You Rock My World and Whatever Happens are classics but a large majority of the album is filler compared with the rest of Michael's discography

The short film for Who Is It, is disappointing when you think of how amazing the song is, it's one of Michael's weakest visuals

I'm glad Michael didn't tour Invincible, because he wasn't healthy at that point and I think that would have reflected in the shows

Michael's peak was the Bad era not the Thriller era

Whatever Happens is a great song but too repetitive.. I made my own edit which makes it less so! :D

Invincible is over produced and should have had more real instrumentation.

- His humanitarian songs are a bit over the top and make me cringe sometimes. Especially Heal The World and Keep The Faith.
- CLHGA is one of the best songs on Dangerous. Love its beat.
- Bad album is overrated.

Back