Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsThree FriendsVeteran
    Level
    Thanks

Default Re: Best of Joy - Original Version

I only take some parts of the 3rd verse just for asking you guys something:

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysThere View Post
    “Remember the times you said your life was through?
    That’s when I held and carried you
    These arms that took hold of you”
    So this part it's still unreleased and not in the other verses?
    Last edited by Stefano MJS; 23-11-2020 at 10:21 PM.
    "Make That Change"
    https://bit.ly/StefanMJS

Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 14
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothGangsta View Post
    Has anyone said that they've heard a 2008 demo of the song with those lyrics in it? Could it be the case that it wasn't a third verse but just a discarded/changed one? I'm struggling to think of why it would be left out otherwise.
    I highly doubt that as listen to the leaked acapella, around 1:06 there's just a splice in the vocals

Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 57
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,646 Times in 907 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stefano MJS View Post
    I only take some parts of the 3rd verse just for asking you guys something:

So this part it's still unreleased and not in the other verses?
    That part is unreleased yes.

Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 470
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsOverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,965 Times in 1,841 Posts

Has anyone said that they've heard a 2008 demo of the song with those lyrics in it? Could it be the case that it wasn't a third verse but just a discarded/changed one? I'm struggling to think of why it would be left out otherwise.
    I spoke to three people who heard it at some sort of fan event/seminar a few years back (not a Sundberg one). Evidently the 2008 demo is pretty different from the version we have: a slightly different count-in intro, the third verse, a differently structured chorus, etc. But the general consensus is that Neff-U blew MJ’s version out of the water, and he did justice to the track.

Just speculating here: it’s to my understanding that BoJ was recorded over a two-day period, and on the second day (when the third verse was recorded), Michael’s vocals were a bit more energized and dynamic. Since the whole song is very laid back and sensual, maybe it was removed for consistency’s sake? It would be pretty odd if suddenly MJ went from basically a whisper for the whole song to an impassioned wail in the third verse. (Though, like I said, that’s just speculation.)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to AlwaysThere For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 84
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Since we're talking mostly about the lyrics, I'm wondering if were there any major changes in the instrumentation of the song.

Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 16
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ekans View Post
    Since we're talking mostly about the lyrics, I'm wondering if were there any major changes in the instrumentation of the song.
    It was just a Drum machine loop and a Fender Rose guitar, according to Michael Prince on The MJ Cast.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MJJ Leaks For This Useful Post:

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MJJ Leaks View Post
    It was just a Drum machine loop and a Fender Rose guitar, according to Michael Prince on The MJ Cast.
    Small correction: a Fender Rhodes keyboard, played by Brad Buxer

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AlwaysThere For This Useful Post:

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Ngl I will probably prefer MJ's version unless it's actually utterly awful, which is doubtful.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

I spoke to three people who heard it at some sort of fan event/seminar a few years back (not a Sundberg one). Evidently the 2008 demo is pretty different from the version we have: a slightly different count-in intro, the third verse, a differently structured chorus, etc. But the general consensus is that Neff-U blew MJ’s version out of the water, and he did justice to the track.

Just speculating here: it’s to my understanding that BoJ was recorded over a two-day period, and on the second day (when the third verse was recorded), Michael’s vocals were a bit more energized and dynamic. Since the whole song is very laid back and sensual, maybe it was removed for consistency’s sake? It would be pretty odd if suddenly MJ went from basically a whisper for the whole song to an impassioned wail in the third verse. (Though, like I said, that’s just speculation.)
    That would make sense. I hope we get to hear it at some point. I wish they would have been able incorporate all his vocals. Also, I'm guessing that means that someone within the fanbase has it, if it's being brought to a fan event.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

That would make sense. I hope we get to hear it at some point. I wish they would have been able incorporate all his vocals. Also, I'm guessing that means that someone within the fanbase has it, if it's being brought to a fan event.
    One of the MJ Cast hosts has a version of it. I’m not sure which one, but he said something along the lines of, “There are certain parts where I had to rewind because of how beautiful his vocals were. It’s the one I listen to most often.” Maybe it came from him?

Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 344
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran10000 Experience PointsOverdrive

Level
    Thanks

I’m with you guys...I absolutely ADORE Best of Joy!!! It’s definitely one of my absolute FAVORITE MJ songs! ❤️ And it was so comforting after he died. 😢 I wasn’t aware that there were different versions of it? From my understanding that was the only song Michael had actually finished before he died? 🤔 Does anyone know when it was written? I sooo wish we could’ve gotten to hear the songs he had written 2006-2009. 😩 I bet they were all amazing!! I bet the ones he did with Will I Am were awesome too! I’m still so gutted that we lost him! 😢 But luckily TJ (Tito’s son) is making music and he’s awesome! 👍🏻❤️ He definitely has the songwriting gene in him. Taryll too! 👍🏻 Wish they could complete the songs if there are some without vocals! 🙏🏻 ❤️

15. The Following User Says Thank You to summer For This Useful Post:

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by summer View Post
    Does anyone know when it was written?
    It was originally written and recorded in 1982 as "The Toy" for the Richard Pryor film of the same name, but wasn't included because the Thriller sessions took priority. Michael turned it into "Best of Joy" between 1990-91; the only substantial change was the opening lyric (changed from "I am your toy, I am your boy" to "I am your joy, your best of joy"). The version we have was recorded in late October 2008, and is one of the last songs that Michael ever recorded a full, top-to-bottom vocal for.

Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 177
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thanks

It was originally written and recorded in 1982 as “The Toy” for the Richard Pryor film of the same name, but wasn’t included because the “Thriller” sessions took priority. Michael turned it into “Best of Joy” between 1990-91; the only substantial change was the opening lyric (changed from I am your toy, I am your boy to I am your joy, your best of joy). The version we have was recorded in late October 2008, and is one of the last songs that Michael ever recorded a full, top-to-bottom vocal for.
    Hmm....I didn’t know about any of this, @AlwaysThere. But, the lyrics to “Best of Joy” were already written down by Michael, not long before he passed, were they not? They were photographed, and the pictures of them were posted online, too. I didn’t know that the song was originally written for some other project besides one of his albums, and then, eventually re-written and recorded years later. That’s interesting.

And, I thought he was the only writer/composer of this song. Were there other people involved in its writing/composition, who should have gotten credit for their work, as I’m reading other posters’ comments about this “third verse” by another songwriter, that was removed before “Best of Joy” was released on the “MICHAEL” posthumous album? I’d like to know.

Great, absolutely BEAUTIFUL vocals on “Best of Joy” as well. For them to have been recorded only months before his rehearsals for “This Is It” —— in spite of his having just turned 50 years of age, at the time he recorded them —— was just simply A-M-A-Z-I-N-G....PERIOD. He NEVER really “lost” any of his vocal abilities, which stayed with him throughout his life.
    Last edited by GGVVGGCC22331122; 08-12-2020 at 08:43 AM.

Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 238
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

It was originally written and recorded in 1982 as "The Toy" for the Richard Pryor film of the same name, but wasn't included because the Thriller sessions took priority. Michael turned it into "Best of Joy" between 1990-91; the only substantial change was the opening lyric (changed from "I am your toy, I am your boy" to "I am your joy, your best of joy"). The version we have was recorded in late October 2008, and is one of the last songs that Michael ever recorded a full, top-to-bottom vocal for.
    There is conflicting information about these things.

According to some sources, ‘The Toy’ was originally written and recorded in 1981, not in 1982.

Also, some sources state that ‘Best Of Joy’ was recorded in 2009 (during the ‘This Is It’ sessions), not in late October 2008.

Michael turned it into "Best of Joy" between 1990-91; the only substantial change was the opening lyric (changed from "I am your toy, I am your boy" to "I am your joy, your best of joy").
    You refuted that in the past when you stated the following (not in MJJCommunity):

I still don't find that "Dangerous" paper scan legitimate. the words Best of Joy look photoshopped

So, although ‘The Toy’ is certainly an early version of ‘Best Of Joy’, it is unknown when Michael Jackson made that song’s title change and that substantial opening lyrical change.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GGVVGGCC22331122 View Post
    Hmm....I didn’t know about any of this, AlwaysThere. But, the lyrics to “Best of Joy” were already written down by Michael, not long before he passed, were they not? They were photographed, and the pictures of them were posted online, too. I didn’t know that the song was originally written for some other project besides one of his albums, and then, eventually re-written and recorded years later. That’s interesting.

And, I thought he was the only writer/composer of this song. Were there other people involved in its writing/composition, who should have gotten credit for their work, as I’m reading other posters’ comments about this “third verse” by another songwriter, that was removed before “Best of Joy” was released on the “MICHAEL” posthumous album? I’d like to know.

Great, absolutely BEAUTIFUL vocals on “Best of Joy” as well. For them to have been recorded only months before his rehearsals for “This Is It” —— in spite of his having just turned 50 years of age, at the time he recorded them —— was just simply A-M-A-Z-I-N-G....PERIOD. He NEVER really “lost” any of his vocal abilities, which stayed with him throughout his life.
    There were! The lyric sheets were written later in his life, but he did that commonly. There are notes for "Hollywood Tonight," including the bridge lyrics, spanning nine years.

Michael is the sole composer. There are persistent rumors that Rod Temperton wrote the unreleased third verse, but they're fictitious. Rod Temperton was working on an alternate chorus that never made it past the consideration phase.

Quote Originally Posted by mj_frenzy View Post
    There is conflicting information about these things.

According to some sources, ‘The Toy’ was originally written and recorded in 1981, not in 1982.

Also, some sources state that ‘Best Of Joy’ was recorded in 2009 (during the ‘This Is It’ sessions), not in late October 2008.
    There were no This Is It sessions. Those sources were reliant on the Estate-provided fact that "Best of Joy" was among the final tracks Michael provided full vocals for, leaving them with the assumption that it was recorded in 2009. Michael Prince relayed to both Joseph Vogel and Mike Smallcombe that the released version was recorded in October 2008.

You refuted that in the past when you stated the following (not in MJJCommunity):

I still don't find that "Dangerous" paper scan legitimate. the words Best of Joy look photoshopped

So, although ‘The Toy’ is certainly an early version of ‘Best Of Joy’, it is unknown when Michael Jackson made that song’s title change and that substantial opening lyrical change.
    That was my opinion based on the low-quality image scan. As it turns out, it is legit.