Rest In Peace "Tiny" Tommy Lister

NatureCriminal7896

Proud Member
Tommy “Tiny” Lister died Thursday 11 December from COVID-19 related symptoms.

You might not know Tiny, an American actor and professional wrestler. You might have seen him in “Friday” or “The Fifth Element” but you will definitely remember him in Michael Jackson’s short film “Remember The Time” where he played a guard of The Pharaoh (played by Eddie Murphy) and chased Michael around Egypt.

Tiny overcame COVID-19 earlier this year but became sick about a week ago and developed breathing troubles.

During a 2018 interview with The Hannibal TV, Tiny discussed some of his career highlights and mentioned his friendship with Michael Jackson. He said when he was recruited to work on “Remember the Time”, he signed on to do it for five weeks. In that time, both became close.

He shared that during filming, he would stay in character after the scene cut and kept chasing Michael around the set. Then Michael and John Singleton, the director, plotted against him as payback.

Laughing, Lister recalled how they pranked him. “One time, I’m chasing Michael looking for him in the barrels and baskets, and they put real snakes in there. I’m scared of snakes,” he said.

“I put my hand in there and started talking like Prince and Michael Jackson. They got that on camera and if they use it against me, I’ll be in trouble,” he joked. Lister added that he screamed.

Rest in Peace Tiny Lister.

Tommy 'Tiny' Lister: Wrestler and Friday actor dies aged 62

Manager Cindy Cowan says he overcame COVID-19 earlier this year but became sick about a week ago and developed breathing troubles.

Tommy "Tiny" Lister, a former wrestler and actor well-known for playing Deebo in the comedy film Friday, has died aged 62.

Lister was found unconscious at his Marina Del Rey home in Los Angeles County, California, on Thursday afternoon, his manager Cindy Cowan said.

He was pronounced dead at the scene, she added.

The coroner is investigating the cause of death.

Ms Cowan said Lister overcame COVID-19 earlier this year but became sick about a week ago and developed breathing troubles.

She described Lister as "a gentle giant", adding: "He had a smile as broad as you could imagine.

"He's going to be missed by so many. We're all devastated."

Lister started his career as a wrestler, standing 6ft 5in with broad shoulders and weighing 275lb.

His early roles included in HBO football series 1st & Ten, Beverly Hills Cop II with Eddie Murphy, and No Holds Barred, the 1989 film where his character Zeus challenged Hulk Hogan in wrestling.

But his most famous appearance was playing the tough felon, Deebo, in the 1995 film Friday and its sequel five years later.

Deebo was a neighbourhood bully who terrorised and intimidated residents. He spoke the infamous line: "Get knocked out like your father used to".

Lister also acted in The Fifth Element, The Dark Knight and Austin Powers in Goldmember.

Ice Cube was among the celebrities who posted tributes online. He wrote on Twitter: "RIP Tiny 'Deebo' Lister. America's favourite bully was a born entertainer who would pop into character at the drop of a hat terrifying people on and off camera. Followed by a big smile and laugh. Thank you for being a good dude at heart. I miss you already."

Rapper Ice-T posted a series of photos of Lister on Twitter, alongside the words: "I'm dedicating my page today as a Tribute to my close friend 'Tiny Lister' aka Debo, aka Zeus, aka Cleatus.. Gone far to(sic) soon. Rest easy Big Homie."

Entertainer and rapper Otto Von Biz Markie tweeted the words: "RIP Tiny Lister, aka Deebo, aka Zeus, aka President Lindberg, aka Winston the bail bondsman.

"One of the greatest movie villains of all time. Without saying a word, his scowl and sneer sent everyone into hiding. No one ever ever looked more terrifying in a Pendleton. What a legend."

https://news.sky.com/story/tommy-tiny-lister-wrestler-and-friday-actor-dies-aged-62-12158168

With the announcement of his death, actor and wrestler Tommy “Tiny” Lister is being fondly remembered for his roles in TV, film, and music videos. Lister immortalized the character Deebo in the Friday franchise and he flipped things around when he played the president in The Fifth Element.

He was a fixture in hip-hop videos but also had the opportunity to work with people such as Will Smith, Marlon Brando, Adam Sandler, Vince McMahon, Tupac, Quentin Tarantino, and Michael Jackson.

Some fans may be aware that Jackson had a reputation as a jokester, but Lister got to experience that firsthand on-set with the late King of Pop.

Tiny Lister was in Michael Jackson’s ‘Remember the Time’ video

Back in 1992, people gathered around their TVs to catch the premiere of Jackson’s new music video for “Remember the Time.” Set in ancient Egypt, it featured a star-studded cast that included Eddie Murphy, Iman, Magic Johnson, and Lister.

Directed by John Singleton, it was a musical film that stretched out for nine minutes. In it, Lister — a towering figure who wrestled with greats such as Hulk Hogan — played one of the pharaoh’s palace guards who tried to capture Jackson’s wizard character.

Fans loved it for all the cameos, but the video also received praise for its stunning visuals and special effects.

How Michael Jackson pranked Tiny Lister

During a 2018 interview with The Hannibal TV, Lister discussed some of his career highlights and mentioned his friendship with Jackson. He said when he was recruited to work on “Remember the Time,” he signed on to do it for five weeks. In that time, Lister and Jackson became real cool.

He shared that during filming, he would stay in character after the scene cut and kept chasing Jackson around the set. Then Jackson and Singleton plotted against him as payback.

Laughing, Lister recalled how they pranked him. “One time, I’m chasing Michael looking for him in the barrels and baskets, and they put real snakes in there. I’m scared of snakes,” he said.

“I put my hand in there and started talking like Prince and Michael Jackson. They got that on camera and if they use it against me, I’ll be in trouble,” he joked. Lister added that he screamed.

Lister called it an honor to work with the cast

It was typical for Lister to speak highly of the those he worked with during his career, including rappers, directors, comedians, and actors.

When it came to “Remember the Time,” he with reverence about Murphy, Jackson, Singleton, Magic Johnson, and Iman, and said it was an honor to work with all of them on the project. “It was an awesome situation,” he said.

Though Lister will be fondly remembered as the street bully Deebo, fans can check out his extensive film and TV resume which includes appearances in The Dark Knight, The Fifth Element, Star Trek: Enterprise, Mann and Wife, Regular Show, and Disney’s Zootopia.

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertai...d-by-michael-jackson-during-video-shoot.html/

Back