Hypothetical followup album to Invincible

kv101

Proud Member
I have been wondering what a worthy followup album to Invincible released around 2007/08 would have looked like. One of the problems that I had with Michael and Xscape was that songs from early 80s were put together with his later material which made the albums inconsistent because his voice change is clear between the tracks. They did not seem like proper albums which could follow up Invincible.

So I thought of an album that could have followed up Invincible based on songs recorded post 1990 with almost all of them from Michael and Xscape.

I wanted your opinion if this album would have worked if it was released in 2007/08 with production from Neff-u and Timbaland. I know MJ recorded Best of Joy in 2009 and did not work with Timbaland, but I was just curious if this album would have worked as a followup to Invincible.

Album name: Xscape (It has a very edgy feel to it like MJ's other album titles)

Hold my hand (ft Akon)
Chicago
Hollywood Tonight
Place With No Name
Another Day (ft Lenny Kravitz)
One More Chance
Slave To The Rhythm
I Like The Way You Love Me
Best Of Joy
Blue Gangsta
Much Too Soon
Xscape

The album has a very warm opening followed by energetic tracks and some smooth R&B tracks and the last track is aggressive and very prophetic of Michael "escaping the system".

This album is a mix of Pop, R&B, Rock and soul.
What do you think of this "album"? Would this be a worthy followup to Invincible? Do you think this album is as good as or better than Invincible?
Please let me know your thoughts

kv101;4313434 said:
I have been wondering what a worthy followup album to Invincible could look like. One of the problems that I had with Michael and Xscape was that songs from early 80s were put together with his later material which made the albums inconsistent because his voice change is clear between the tracks. They did not seem like proper albums which could follow up Invincible.

So I based an album on songs recorded post 1990 with almost all of them from Michael and Xscape:

Album name: Xscape (It has a very edgy feel to it like MJ's other album titles)

Hold my hand (ft Akon)
Chicago
Hollywood Tonight
Place With No Name
Another Day (ft Lenny Kravitz)
One More Chance
Slave To The Rhythm
I Like The Way You Love Me
Best Of Joy
Blue Gangsta
Much Too Soon
Xscape

The album has a very warm opening followed by energetic tracks and some smooth R&B tracks and the last track is aggressive and very prophetic of Michael "escaping the system".

This album is a mix of Pop, R&B, Rock and soul. What do you think of this "album"? Would this be a worthy followup to Invincible? Do you think this album is as good as or better than Invincible?
Please let me know your thoughts

But this is the main point of a posthumous, compilation album (like ‘Michael’, or ‘Xscape’): to show the artist’s evolution throughout the years (when the artist was still alive) both in terms of vocals and songwriting.

For example the ‘Xscape’ album includes a song that he recorded in early 1980s (‘Love Never Felt So Good’), two songs that he recorded in mid-1980s (‘Do You Know Where Your Children Are’, ‘Loving You’), a song that he recorded in early 1990s (‘Slave To The Rhythm’), and also several songs that he recorded in late 1990s (such as, ‘Blue Gangsta’).

Also, this approach attracts more fans to buy the album because the album includes more than one era, so from a business point it also makes sense.

On the other hand, your hypothetical ‘Xscape’ album with these 12 tracks (recorded post 1990) would attract mainly the fans who are interested in songs that Michael Jackson recorded post 1990 (this would also mean fewer sales for this hypothetical ‘Xscape’ album).

mj_frenzy;4313486 said:
But this is the main point of a posthumous, compilation album (like ‘Michael’, or ‘Xscape’): to show the artist’s evolution throughout the years (when the artist was still alive) both in terms of vocals and songwriting.

For example the ‘Xscape’ album includes a song that he recorded in early 1980s (‘Love Never Felt So Good’), two songs that he recorded in mid-1980s (‘Do You Know Where Your Children Are’, ‘Loving You’), a song that he recorded in early 1990s (‘Slave To The Rhythm’), and also several songs that he recorded in late 1990s (such as, ‘Blue Gangsta’).

Also, this approach attracts more fans to buy the album because the album includes more than one era, so from a business point it also makes sense.

On the other hand, your hypothetical ‘Xscape’ album with these 12 tracks (recorded post 1990) would attract mainly the fans who are interested in songs that Michael Jackson recorded post 1990 (this would also mean fewer sales for this hypothetical ‘Xscape’ album).

Or, they chose what they thought was best regardless of era because there simply is not enough material left to solely focus on one era of music.

mj_frenzy;4313486 said:

Good point. I majorly considered this album as a followup as in where his vocals and style are mature. So the majority of my song picks are from the Invincible era.

Akon was Billboard's number 1 artist in 2007. Neff-u who produced I Like the way & Best of joy had worked with Ne-Yo (He won best Contemporary R&B album in 2008) and Timbaland was also hot with hits from Justin Timberlake.

So hypothetically, say if this album was released in 2007/08 do you think it would have worked? I know that Best of Joy was recorded in 2009 and MJ did not work with Timbaland but still I am curious if this album would have been a good addition to his discography.

???? i don't get this question. but if they did made an album of all invincible stuff i wouldn't mind. i had no problems with Xscape. yes some songs was from the 80's. they should of put them on thriller 25 or any other coming up thriller event if we get one.

but to me i had no problem with Xscape. great album in my opinion.

... they chose what they thought was best regardless of era ...

I think so too. The mass of people (non hardcore fans) that make such albums a commercial success have a hard time distinguishing between Jason Malachi and Michael Jackson. How are they supposed to hear or care about what era a real MJ song is from. If it's a good song, it's a good song. That's all that counts for success.

you got a point. this been talk about in another thread. the general public don't care as much hardcore fans do. one of the fake tracks from michael comes on the radio a causal fan will be like oh my gosh it michael jackson! i love this song! a hardcore fan will be like that's not michael voice that's one of the fake tracks on the michael album etc etc etc

casual fan will be like what? that's michael jackson what are you talking about?

see? :D

Album: Victory
Release: 2005 (after the trial)

1. Innocent Man
2. Hollywood Tonight
3. She Was Loving Me
4. The Way You Love Me
5. A Place With No Name
6. Blue Gangsta
7. In The Back (finished)
8. What More Can I Give (solo)
9. Another Day