Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 35

Thread: The Paul Anka tracks -- 1980 or 1983?

   
  1. #16
    Points: 32,267, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rijeka, Croatia
    Posts
    6,296
    Points
    32,267
    Level
    100
    Thanks
    6,091
    Thanked 5,127 Times in 2,251 Posts

    Default Re: The Paul Anka tracks -- 1980 or 1983?

    Quote Originally Posted by mj_frenzy View Post
    All of the three duet songs that Michael Jackson and Freddie Mercury worked on together were originally contenders for the ‘Thriller’ album, according to Freddie Mercury himself.

    …I think one of the [three] tracks would have been on the ‘Thriller’ album if I finished it but I missed out…” (Freddie Mercury, 1983)

    In a later interview in 1991, Freddie Mercury confirmed that again:

    …I was going to be on ‘Thriller’…We had three [duet] songs in the can, but, unfortunately, they were never finished…” (Freddie Mercury, 1991)

    Freddie Mercury cited as the reason that he left unfinished these three duets songs the fact that he was being annoyed in the recording studio by Michael Jackson’s pet chimpanzee Bubbles.
    That is simply wrong because they recorded together only one day at Hayvenhurst studio and the exact day in 1983 is known and confirmed. He probably mixed up Thriller with Victory. If they had finished them, they would end up on Victory - State Of Shock and probably Victory as well.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to OnirMJ For This Useful Post:


  3. #17
    Points: 7,888, Level: 59
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 62
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    401
    Points
    7,888
    Level
    59
    Thanks
    228
    Thanked 277 Times in 109 Posts

    Default Re: The Paul Anka tracks -- 1980 or 1983?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mikky Dee View Post
    I agree with you, with regard to Damien Shields. He is insufferable to me, as well. The expression in Australia is that he is "up himself".....meaning arrogant, disengenuous and basically "full of it".
    So let me get this straight, you're a staff member on here insulting and dismissing a respected member of the fan community who dedicates a lot of his own time and money into doing actual research into the things he writes about...because you disagree about the dates of a few songs? You can disagree, but you're wrong about who Damien is and you're coming off as petty. This is the type of thing that made me stop coming around here years ago and why I won't be coming back anymore.

  4. #18
    Points: 22,871, Level: 93
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 479
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsOverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    3,387
    Points
    22,871
    Level
    93
    Thanks
    2,185
    Thanked 4,963 Times in 1,840 Posts

    Default Re: The Paul Anka tracks -- 1980 or 1983?

    Members of The MJ Cast recently called out some of us for our Damien Shields comments. All I'll say is this:

    Both Damien and The MJ Cast have done an incredible amount of in-depth research and coverage for the fans, and I can't thank them enough for it. However, the idea that they're immune to any subjective criticism is incredibly hypocritical. Plenty of biographers, from Joseph Vogel to J. Randy Taraborrelli to Mike Smallcombe to Richard Lecocq to Kit O'Toole, have also worked extensively to provide fans comprehensive information via books and articles, and they've been subject to scrutiny by those who find their work wanting or empty. Why are they liable to critiques, yet Damien and The MJ Cast aren't? How is anyone "pushing a false narrative" or "bullying" or "dismiss[ing] Damien's journalism" by offering their personal opinions and calling certain things into question? Why not do what StellaJackson did and offer a rebuttal?

    Yes, I was incorrect about the recording date of the Anka tracks, and I sincerely apologize to Damien for my implication that he was a liar (which wasn't my intent, but absolutely read that way due to my abhorrent wording). However, the fact that a host of The MJ Cast lashed out on Twitter over screenshots from one person saying that their podcast "rubs [them] the wrong way" and that they "don't like the way those guys operate" is painfully childish. While myself and others could certainly be better about our phrasing of our critiques, there is nothing wrong with not being a fan of someone because of their attitude and/or work ethic. My opinion doesn't invalidate yours, just as yours doesn't invalidate mine. And yet, for some reason, not liking Damien or The MJ Cast is somehow "bullying."

    As a fan of The MJ Cast, I find this response incredibly disappointing.

  5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AlwaysThere For This Useful Post:


  6. #19
    Points: 18,622, Level: 86
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 228
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsOverdriveTagger Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Mikky Dee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    2,642
    Points
    18,622
    Level
    86
    Thanks
    4,874
    Thanked 2,449 Times in 1,218 Posts

    Default Re: The Paul Anka tracks -- 1980 or 1983?

    Quote Originally Posted by cmstrike View Post
    So let me get this straight, you're a staff member on here insulting and dismissing a respected member of the fan community who dedicates a lot of his own time and money into doing actual research into the things he writes about...because you disagree about the dates of a few songs? You can disagree, but you're wrong about who Damien is and you're coming off as petty. This is the type of thing that made me stop coming around here years ago and why I won't be coming back anymore.
    I wear two hats Chris. Sometimes I'm speaking just as myself, not as a staff member. My opinions about Damien Shields are my own personal opinions and they have nothing to do with MJJC, the owner of MJJC, or anyone else on MJJC. What I think about Damien Shields, the MJ Cast, John Cameron and any other entity or personality within the MJ fan community, is based on much more than one thing, like the date a song was created. LOL! People who are respected members of the community and who put their research out into the public arena, should be confident enough in the space they fill within the community.... impervious to the critiques of others and resilient enough to handle it with grace. The petty ones are those trying to manufacture a twitterstorm out of nothing - posting screenshots out of context; talking ABOUT me, not TO me; disrespecting people's opinions and writing them off as lazy and misinformed; and denigrating MJJC for no reason.

  7. #20
    Points: 18,622, Level: 86
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 228
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsOverdriveTagger Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Mikky Dee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    2,642
    Points
    18,622
    Level
    86
    Thanks
    4,874
    Thanked 2,449 Times in 1,218 Posts

    Default Re: The Paul Anka tracks -- 1980 or 1983?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysThere View Post
    Members of The MJ Cast recently called out some of us for our Damien Shields comments. All I'll say is this:

    Both Damien and The MJ Cast have done an incredible amount of in-depth research and coverage for the fans, and I can't thank them enough for it. However, the idea that they're immune to any subjective criticism is incredibly hypocritical. Plenty of biographers, from Joseph Vogel to J. Randy Taraborrelli to Mike Smallcombe to Richard Lecocq to Kit O'Toole, have also worked extensively to provide fans comprehensive information via books and articles, and they've been subject to scrutiny by those who find their work wanting or empty. Why are they liable to critiques, yet Damien and The MJ Cast aren't? How is anyone "pushing a false narrative" or "bullying" or "dismiss[ing] Damien's journalism" by offering their personal opinions and calling certain things into question? Why not do what StellaJackson did and offer a rebuttal?

    Yes, I was incorrect about the recording date of the Anka tracks, and I sincerely apologize to Damien for my implication that he was a liar (which wasn't my intent, but absolutely read that way due to my abhorrent wording). However, the fact that a host of The MJ Cast lashed out on Twitter over screenshots from one person saying that their podcast "rubs [them] the wrong way" and that they "don't like the way those guys operate" is painfully childish. While myself and others could certainly be better about our phrasing of our critiques, there is nothing wrong with not being a fan of someone because of their attitude and/or work ethic. My opinion doesn't invalidate yours, just as yours doesn't invalidate mine. And yet, for some reason, not liking Damien or The MJ Cast is somehow "bullying."

    As a fan of The MJ Cast, I find this response incredibly disappointing.
    I completely agree. A lot of what you have said is why I have issues with the MJ Cast and some of their followers. I'm not sure why they are so incensed over the opinions of a handful of fans on this board - they're acting a little bit precious, I feel.

  8. #21
    Points: 33,274, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdrive1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    NatureCriminal7896's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    11,161
    Points
    33,274
    Level
    100
    Thanks
    2,950
    Thanked 1,508 Times in 1,162 Posts

    Default Re: The Paul Anka tracks -- 1980 or 1983?

    While i don't care about this thread. i agree. i always had a bad taste for MJ cast. i remember something happen last year that caused alot problems. while i'm not a fan MJ cast they need to accept people opinions and criticism.

    they think they so special just because they MJ fans. word on the street, not everybody like MJ and that's not out of hate it's the truth. they living in their own little world which nothing wrong with that but if they can't accept opinions and criticism then why this exist?

    i would say MJ cast are the bullies not people who disagree with them.



    a female with major depression,generalized anxiety,behavioral and emotional disorder,ocd mild retardation, and learning disability. i'm not contagious but my smile is.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to NatureCriminal7896 For This Useful Post:


  10. #22
    Points: 3,260, Level: 35
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 90
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Snek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Posts
    180
    Points
    3,260
    Level
    35
    Thanks
    44
    Thanked 162 Times in 81 Posts

    Default Re: The Paul Anka tracks -- 1980 or 1983?

    I do find the MJCast’s anti-estate bias to be rather eye-rolling at times, it can be quite boring to listen to them include a caveat as to how much they dislike the estate EVERY time they speak about a new MJ product. I’m not a big fan of the estate either and I do wish they did more for us and Michael’s legacy, but the constant bashing gets old after a while and doesn’t change anything.

    That being said, the MJCast has been a great source of entertainment and information for me thanks to their great interviews with many of MJ’s biggest collaborators. My fandom would not be where it is without them and this forum. I do not understand the problem with Damien Shields? His knowledge is robust on topics like in this thread. And while he is perhaps the worst offender of beating the dead anti-estate horse, he has done a lot for this community such as many informative projects and reporting on the Casio tracks business. I’m not saying you have to like Damien, I’m just wondering how anyone could have a negative impression of him?

    I did notice the MJCast promoting a new forum without giving this one as much of a mention, which I found very petty. It will only serve to divide the already split fanbase even further. I wish we could all get along in the spirit of Michael, we’d get more done
    Every day create your history.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Snek For This Useful Post:


  12. #23
    Points: 33,274, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdrive1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    NatureCriminal7896's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    11,161
    Points
    33,274
    Level
    100
    Thanks
    2,950
    Thanked 1,508 Times in 1,162 Posts

    Default Re: The Paul Anka tracks -- 1980 or 1983?

    Quote Originally Posted by Snek View Post
    I do find the MJCast’s anti-estate bias to be rather eye-rolling at times, it can be quite boring to listen to them include a caveat as to how much they dislike the estate EVERY time they speak about a new MJ product. I’m not a big fan of the estate either and I do wish they did more for us and Michael’s legacy, but the constant bashing gets old after a while and doesn’t change anything.
    thank you. i'm not pro estate or anti estate but if your topics are about the estate all the time just like users on this forum you need to get a life and find some other topics to talk about.



    a female with major depression,generalized anxiety,behavioral and emotional disorder,ocd mild retardation, and learning disability. i'm not contagious but my smile is.

  13. #24
    Points: 33,274, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdrive1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    NatureCriminal7896's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    11,161
    Points
    33,274
    Level
    100
    Thanks
    2,950
    Thanked 1,508 Times in 1,162 Posts

    Default Re: The Paul Anka tracks -- 1980 or 1983?

    Quote Originally Posted by Snek View Post
    I did notice the MJCast promoting a new forum without giving this one as much of a mention, which I found very petty. It will only serve to divide the already split fanbase even further. I wish we could all get along in the spirit of Michael, we’d get more done
    Agreed! while i love Michael the fan community has their bad (no pun). it's really hurts me seeing bad apples divide this community. to be real with you i been inactive in the community for years and came back 2019 to the LN mess. if Michael was alive he would not take this mess. he was never like that. Michael was about peace, love, respect. he never into dividing us. this is why non fans look at us like we crazy. Michael was a human being.



    a female with major depression,generalized anxiety,behavioral and emotional disorder,ocd mild retardation, and learning disability. i'm not contagious but my smile is.

  14. #25
    Points: 18,622, Level: 86
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 228
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsOverdriveTagger Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Mikky Dee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    2,642
    Points
    18,622
    Level
    86
    Thanks
    4,874
    Thanked 2,449 Times in 1,218 Posts

    Default Re: The Paul Anka tracks -- 1980 or 1983?

    Quote Originally Posted by Snek View Post

    I did notice the MJCast promoting a new forum without giving this one as much of a mention, which I found very petty. It will only serve to divide the already split fanbase even further. I wish we could all get along in the spirit of Michael, we’d get more done
    A couple of people in that conversation were actually maligning MJJC - saying that they were "attacked" when they brought "facts" to a discussion about what kind of format Michael's short films were created in. This, of course, is absolute rubbish. As I said - a few of them seem to be rather precious and immature when it comes to dealing with any push-back at all....about anything. I totally agree with you about the need for greater unity within the fandom. Twitter is not the place to find it, though, in my experience.

  15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mikky Dee For This Useful Post:


  16. #26
    Points: 33,274, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdrive1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    NatureCriminal7896's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    11,161
    Points
    33,274
    Level
    100
    Thanks
    2,950
    Thanked 1,508 Times in 1,162 Posts

    Default Re: The Paul Anka tracks -- 1980 or 1983?

    Twitter and social media in general not good for mental health at all. that's why i stay far from them. your best bet will be Instagram or maybe Facebook.



    a female with major depression,generalized anxiety,behavioral and emotional disorder,ocd mild retardation, and learning disability. i'm not contagious but my smile is.

  17. #27
    Points: 33,274, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdrive1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    NatureCriminal7896's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    11,161
    Points
    33,274
    Level
    100
    Thanks
    2,950
    Thanked 1,508 Times in 1,162 Posts

    Default Re: The Paul Anka tracks -- 1980 or 1983?

    It's sad what this community has become.



    a female with major depression,generalized anxiety,behavioral and emotional disorder,ocd mild retardation, and learning disability. i'm not contagious but my smile is.

  18. #28
    Points: 32,267, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rijeka, Croatia
    Posts
    6,296
    Points
    32,267
    Level
    100
    Thanks
    6,091
    Thanked 5,127 Times in 2,251 Posts

    Default Re: The Paul Anka tracks -- 1980 or 1983?

    Unfortunately, Cascio tracks divided fan community, probably forever.

    Which is really unfortunate because if we stayed united (like we did for Leaving Neverland) we could really make the difference. Just imagine huge biilboards, twitter campaigns, vans with billboards, buses, various events, crowdfunding, flyers... We are forgetting the power of fans in today day and age - just see what DC fans managed to achieve with #ReleaseSnyderCut movement. Just imagine entire MJ fanbase from all over the world united twitting #RemoveCascioSongs for months and years. And don't tell me there are more DC fans than MJ fans. Maybe there are, but they stayed united on that matter.

    And don't say that Cascio track are not the most important thing (after LN of course) that happened after MJ died and that this is not the main reason for dividing the fan community. Because it is.

  19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OnirMJ For This Useful Post:


  20. #29
    Points: 33,274, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdrive1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    NatureCriminal7896's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    11,161
    Points
    33,274
    Level
    100
    Thanks
    2,950
    Thanked 1,508 Times in 1,162 Posts

    Default Re: The Paul Anka tracks -- 1980 or 1983?

    In my opinion what made this community divide are people who can't respect others opinions and disagreements. i would also say people who can't take criticism.



    a female with major depression,generalized anxiety,behavioral and emotional disorder,ocd mild retardation, and learning disability. i'm not contagious but my smile is.

  21. #30
    Points: 33,274, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdrive1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    NatureCriminal7896's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    11,161
    Points
    33,274
    Level
    100
    Thanks
    2,950
    Thanked 1,508 Times in 1,162 Posts

    Default Re: The Paul Anka tracks -- 1980 or 1983?

    i'm not saying those tracks on the Michael album should stay there but in my opinion that's isn't the problem.



    a female with major depression,generalized anxiety,behavioral and emotional disorder,ocd mild retardation, and learning disability. i'm not contagious but my smile is.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •