Michael Jackson & the binary, etc.

KgB

Proud Member
I’ve wanted to say this on more than one occasion (occasionally on MJJC, very often on YouTube, but why even bother there) but I haven’t felt like throwing the conversation off..

Does anyone else notice how screwed up the fandom can be when it comes to how we perceive and react to Michael’s image and the ways he would express himself? So many people who call ourselves superfans are so set on wanting Michael to cater to our own fantasies, insecurities, fixations.. that we make an ass of ourselves trying to jump all over people to defend him, when there was never anything wrong with how he expressed himself.

No he did not have a naturally deep voice, and that’s beautiful. He had a glorious adult male tenor voice with a wide range, and chose to use his upper register most of the time. So stop stressing the “Seeee look he had a REALLY DEEP MANLY voice, he’s a sex God”.. No he didn’t! And why should he? Have you heard his voice as a child? No, he was not an incredibly masculine person, and that makes him all the more fascinating and subversive. He’s still sexy AF! He didn’t care to try to fit that mould and if he were around today, I think he would be really excited to know that people have loosened up on the binary and different forms of expression. Stop trying to define him in ways that fit your own levels of comfort. Michael wasn’t interested in defining himself within these constraints, he wasn’t that simple, so why do we as his fans feel intent on it? We should be better educated on the toxicity of the binary, on race, sexuality and gender expression, and on what Michael himself believed to be important. Michael rebelled against these things that boxed him in his whole life, so we as fans should do the same. I hope that makes sense, would be curious to know your thoughts on all this...

I think the binary is going to be a thing of the past soon enough and if anything Michael helped break down those barriers. He was unapologetically himself throughout his life and he’s all the better for it.

Although I would say that MJ’s voice was noticeably deeper at several points (YRMW music video, Super Bowl speech, etc). I guess we would just have to figure out which of his voices are his natural one. But maybe he wasn’t comfortable with it, I remember hearing or seeing him say he thought he sounded like a frog. Either way he should’ve spoke however he was comfortable

You're right. I wish he hadn't been judged so harshly for it during his lifetime.. yeah I remember something Seth Riggs said about that on a couple occasions I think.

Michael Jackson was weird.
A weirdo in his whole being.
A weird philanthropist, where he was weird about donating a lot of his money, his hard work, to people in extreme need.
Michael Jackson's weirdness was limitless because believe me he committed the weirdness of loving everyone
Literally...
Michael Jackson the weirdo who saved many lives with his weird money, and with his weird love where his weird audacity made many weird kids' dreams come true! See if you can!
What a weird thing!
Michael's Obsession was weird trying to change the weird world.
Changing lives was weird, and he did it. To give us the happiness of the pleasure of his music, his art, his love, his generosity, his compassion, especially with those who hurt him, that was also strange.
And Michael committed the worst oddities however ... Believing in people who destroyed him without mercy, and without mercy ...
Michael was weirdly betrayed for his generosity and compassion. That was really weird.
Strange is also not having the strangeness of your talent, your love, your compassion, your art, in short…
But this is more than weird, this cruel is too painful. I keep Michael Jackson enjoying his weirdness every day.
Crying with longing and emotion for all her oddities, and always being proud of all the best that the world has done for her oddities.
I love you my freak I love you so much never forget it. I believe that there in heaven you are making weird making God proud.
I always miss your eternal fan

Alessandra da Silva

KgB;4314750 said:
I’ve wanted to say this on more than one occasion (occasionally on MJJC, very often on YouTube, but why even bother there) but I haven’t felt like throwing the conversation off..

Does anyone else notice how screwed up the fandom can be when it comes to how we perceive and react to Michael’s image and the ways he would express himself? So many people who call ourselves superfans are so set on wanting Michael to cater to our own fantasies, insecurities, fixations.. that we make an ass of ourselves trying to jump all over people to defend him, when there was never anything wrong with how he expressed himself.

No he did not have a naturally deep voice, and that’s beautiful. He had a glorious adult male tenor voice with a wide range, and chose to use his upper register most of the time. So stop stressing the “Seeee look he had a REALLY DEEP MANLY voice, he’s a sex God”.. No he didn’t! And why should he? Have you heard his voice as a child? No, he was not an incredibly masculine person, and that makes him all the more fascinating and subversive. He’s still sexy AF! He didn’t care to try to fit that mould and if he were around today, I think he would be really excited to know that people have loosened up on the binary and different forms of expression. Stop trying to define him in ways that fit your own levels of comfort. Michael wasn’t interested in defining himself within these constraints, he wasn’t that simple, so why do we as his fans feel intent on it? We should be better educated on the toxicity of the binary, on race, sexuality and gender expression, and on what Michael himself believed to be important. Michael rebelled against these things that boxed him in his whole life, so we as fans should do the same. I hope that makes sense, would be curious to know your thoughts on all this...

Can you explain what you mean by "the binary"? I don't think I properly understand, from what you have said here. I agree that Michael never let himself be labelled and never liked to conform in terms of "expected behaviours" and that's something I love about him.

Alessandra 38;4314763 said:
Michael Jackson was weird.
A weirdo in his whole being.
A weird philanthropist, where he was weird about donating a lot of his money, his hard work, to people in extreme need.
Michael Jackson's weirdness was limitless because believe me he committed the weirdness of loving everyone
Literally...
Michael Jackson the weirdo who saved many lives with his weird money, and with his weird love where his weird audacity made many weird kids' dreams come true! See if you can!
What a weird thing!
Michael's Obsession was weird trying to change the weird world.
Changing lives was weird, and he did it. To give us the happiness of the pleasure of his music, his art, his love, his generosity, his compassion, especially with those who hurt him, that was also strange.
And Michael committed the worst oddities however ... Believing in people who destroyed him without mercy, and without mercy ...
Michael was weirdly betrayed for his generosity and compassion. That was really weird.
Strange is also not having the strangeness of your talent, your love, your compassion, your art, in short…
But this is more than weird, this cruel is too painful. I keep Michael Jackson enjoying his weirdness every day.
Crying with longing and emotion for all her oddities, and always being proud of all the best that the world has done for her oddities.
I love you my freak I love you so much never forget it. I believe that there in heaven you are making weird making God proud.
I always miss your eternal fan

Alessandra da Silva

amen. may god bless you. Michael was weird in a good way. bless his heart i hope he is too happy now.

I don't understand this thread. but i always treated Michael how he was and a human being. i wouldn't change nothing about Michael because i loved him just the way he was.

Fans who change Michael into their own fantasies, insecurities, fixations tend to forget he was a human being and just want him to be like them. that's very sad and i would think some fans need some help. that's like forcing someone to smoke when they don't.

while Michael was awesome dude i would never force him into anything that wasn't him. he loved each of us BUT he was his own person and self.

while i love Michael the fan community has their bad (no pun). it's really hurts me seeing bad apples divide this community. to be real with you i been inactive in the community for years and came back 2019 to the LN mess. Michael was about peace, love, and respect. he never into dividing us. this is why non fans look at us like we crazy. Michael was a human being and private man. he didn't have to always share personal life he just did because of media etc.

love Michael but his community sorry to say have it's bad apples. it's hurt to say because Michael loved his fans and look up to them during the tough times in his life and the greatest too and to see this community turn after his death in 12 years hurts. we are the ones that keep his legacy alive and going. if wasn't for us Michael probably would be forget it (i doubt that but you know the media).

it's best just block the people who make this community bad. they will realize once people keep blocking them etc they will know it's something wrong with them not other fans.

Can you explain what you mean by "the binary"? I don't think I properly understand, from what you have said here. I agree that Michael never let himself be labelled and never liked to conform in terms of "expected behaviours" and that's something I love about him.

I'm not the OP, but I presumed they meant the gender binary. Michael definitely bent the rules with that, and it's one of the things I love most about him.

Michael loved everyone regards who their were. he had friends who were jewish, white, men, muslim, the list goes on. so this isn't about who Michael didn't love because he loved everyone. who saying stuff like this?

I'm not the OP, but I presumed they meant the gender binary. Michael definitely bent the rules with that, and it's one of the things I love most about him.

Yes that's exactly it. Same here, I think about it all the time... he really didn't care what people thought in so many ways.

Back