Projects that have been worked on but never saw the light of day?

dam2040

Proud Member
I was just wondering about the Estate and how certain people have said they saw Munich 1997 in 3D and then I began to wonder about the Off the Wall commercial that leaked saying it would contain new songs (from memory, I might be wrong - was this ever confirmed to be real?).

So I was wondering what else has been worked on, but never released (even in MJs lifetime)

I know while MJ was still here we had the Munich 1997/Ghosts VHS pack mentioned in shop catalogues that was never released, as well as the rumoured LA 1989 VHS after the tour ended, but what else could have been?

During his lifetime, some of his projects that have been worked on but never saw the light of day:

The ‘Decade’ compilation album (greatest hits plus few brand new songs along with a multi-page, glossy booklet) was a very important project that Michael Jackson was working on and it was scheduled to get a release in late ‘80s/early ‘90s, but it was eventually cancelled.

The ‘Dangerous’ single and its accompanying music video were planned to get a release in January (1994), but these plans were cancelled due to the child sexual abuse allegations against the singer.

The ‘Smile’ single and its accompanying music video were also planned to get a release in 1997, but these plans again fell through due to conflicts with the Charlie Chaplin Estate.

In early ‘00s, Sony and Michael Jackson planned to re-release the ‘Thriller’ album (in Super Audio CD format, 5.1-channel surround sound), but the singer eventually changed his mind and he cancelled that project.

mj_frenzy;4315447 said:
During his lifetime, some of his projects that have been worked on but never saw the light of day:

The ‘Decade’ compilation album (greatest hits plus few brand new songs along with a multi-page, glossy booklet) was a very important project that Michael Jackson was working on and it was scheduled to get a release in late ‘80s/early ‘90s, but it was eventually cancelled.

The ‘Dangerous’ single and its accompanying music video were planned to get a release in January (1994), but these plans were cancelled due to the child sexual abuse allegations against the singer.

The ‘Smile’ single and its accompanying music video were also planned to get a release in 1997, but these plans again fell through due to conflicts with the Charlie Chaplin Estate.

In early ‘00s, Sony and Michael Jackson planned to re-release the ‘Thriller’ album (in Super Audio CD format, 5.1-channel surround sound), but the singer eventually changed his mind and he cancelled that project.

Of course, how could I forget Decade!

But Thriller did release in SACD. It was the 5.1 masters of all of his albums, including Thriller, that MJ declined.

As much as I'd love to see a high fidelity Pure Audio Blu-Ray-R released similar to what Queen did with 'A Night At The Opera' I don't think it will sell, even Thriller. Judging by the streaming numbers, it's evident that most people are content with hearing the tracks on Spotify/Deezer/YouTube/Tidal etc.

Zakk;4315457 said:
As much as I'd love to see a high fidelity Pure Audio Blu-Ray-R released similar to what Queen did with 'A Night At The Opera' I don't think it will sell, even Thriller. Judging by the streaming numbers, it's evident that most people are content with hearing the tracks on Spotify/Deezer/YouTube/Tidal etc.

Those sorts of things are always for the purists though, never mass market. The sales expectations would be much lower (you’d hope anyway!)

Annual Halloween special planned for the TII residence featuring Ghosts in full length and performances of Thriller being taken from the London Shows.

Michael also planned the release of Ghosts + The Making of in the early 2000's.

New album in 2003.

New album in 2007/08.

Several CD Single releases during the TII residence, later resulting in a full length studio album.

Posthumously: the BAD World Tour included on BAD 25 was to be a montage of performances but would later be scrapped in favour of the July 16th Wembley show.

dam2040;4315458 said:
Those sorts of things are always for the purists though, never mass market. The sales expectations would be much lower (you’d hope anyway!)

Yeah, most people don't really tend to notice a considerable difference.

Bad documentary with the studio footage & highlights from 88 from bad 25

Decade simply just turned into Dangerous because MJ wrote so many new songs didn't it? - do we know if MJ re-recorded I'll Be There and Never Can Say Goodbye for Decade? - Would love to hear those songs as studio recordings with MJ's 1989 vocals.

MJ planned many things that never really got nowhere. - not always his fault of course. But he often mentioned things he wanted to do like it was fore sure it would happen, and those things never happend.

And BTW - no the Off The Wall commercial was proven fake if memory serves me right. - but it was really nicely done.

wonderouzmj;4315463 said:
Bad documentary with the studio footage & highlights from 88 from bad 25

Didn’t this release though?

I did read a few years back something that mentioned the filming of the studio footage for the 'BAD' Album, although I can't recollect the specifics. I don't think it was related to BAD 25 though.

Sadly the most obvious project that was worked on but never truly saw the light of day would be the This Is It concerts. :cry:

Sadly the most obvious project that was worked on but never truly saw the light of day would be the This Is It concerts.:cry
Plus the 95 HBO special, we don't even have rehearsal footage of it. It's a shame both never ended up happening though :(

MJ Themed Park

Edgar Allan Poe Movie
Peter Pan Movie
2000 Millenium concerts
Album with 2seas records
X-factor Performance in 2008 or 2009

^^ I vividly remember reading this article stating Michael would have performed on the X Factor in 2009. https://amp.rte.ie/amp/416577/

Janet performed and they also held a tribute to Michael the same weekend.

I heard from someone here that there were plans for Michael to perform at 2008 Grammys to promote the release of Thriller 25? If someone could confirm if that is true or not?

It sometimes feels like there were lots of balls in the air - but most of them landed flat on the floor...

So many missed opportunitys.

Thanks for the input guys! Just thought it would be a new discussion topic and I know some you guys have a wealth of knowledge so thanks for sharing so far!

I was also thinking about the potential Vegas residency with the robot strolling through the strip! That would've been insane lol.

The Grammy awards in 2008 was offered to MJ but not even considered. There were constant offers at the time but he wasn't ready.

Back