Bad World Tour: US leg vs European leg

Scjking22

Proud Member
Sorry if anyone has already made a thread similar to this or has posted something about this topic coz I haven't seen any of those.

Anyways if we were to choose which leg of the bad Tour we wanted for release which leg would we go for, US leg or European leg? Personally I love the staging of the European leg and the fast pace tempo of the songs. The first US leg had 99% of live vocals but the slow pace dosent do it justice IMO. The second US leg at least was faster paced but I think Michael was tired of the tour by that point.

Anyways I wanna see who prefers what.

I really want to see Smooth Criminal sung live. So it's the US leg for me.

Starting shows of second leg for sure, and that one Pittsburgh show later on looks pretty good too

Pretty much every show is the same, so there isn’t much of a difference. However, I guess MJ sang every song live during the US leg, which sounds amazing.

AlwaysThere;4316020 said:
Pretty much every show is the same, so there isn’t much of a difference. However, I guess MJ sang every song live during the US leg, which sounds amazing.

Well first off I wouldn't say every show was the same. Don't get me wrong I would love to see Michael sing songs like SC,twymmf, Bad live but it's slower paced and seems less developed compared to the European leg. An example is the breakdown at APOM, it looks less developed in the first US leg compared to the European leg

US because we already have Wembley. New York or Kansas would be great. But I would be happy with any Bad Tour concert if it was Blu-Ray release in HD.

March 3rd 1988 The "Private" Concert would be perfect, and the fact we've seen a High Def snippet is just incredible. If that full show doesn't exist for whatever reason then I'd choose Aintree for the main feature with minute edits whilst the fans injuries are attended to during the first three songs and the blooper during IJCSLY.

I don't think MJ ever sang MITM fully live, even during the US leg. And I'm not so sure if SC, TWYMMF and Bad were sung live at every US show either.

I think the early US shows are very different. Compare Another Part of Me performance in Kansas to Wembley for example.

If the HD UK show is never found, MSG 88 is my second choice. MTV must have more than Dirty Diana in HQ...

If the HD UK show is never found, MSG 88 is my second choice. MTV must have more than Dirty Diana in HQ...

Dirty Diana was officially released, must have been sourced from a Beta Tape Master in Michael's archive? 2003 I think it was first unveiled, not entirely certain on that though.

Dirty Diana was officially released, must have been sourced from a Beta Tape Master in Michael's archive? 2003 I think it was first unveiled, not entirely certain on that though.

It was released to selected tv stations (as part of an EPK) in 1988. In 2004 (or 2005?) it was made available for premium members of MJJSource.

There's been talk of a full UK concert shot on film. They said it's in a processing lab either in the US or the UK. The estate have no idea where the processing lab is located. Idk if this is true but judging by all the Wembley shows having film cameras, there's big chances.

While the US leg has more live vocals, the European leg has better staging, better costumes and the band sounds better. Compare Another Part Of Me from the US shows to the European shows. The European shows sound much better.

Maybe the best solution would be to release a European show and then have Smooth Criminal, BAD and The Way You Make Me Feel from the US shows as a bonus feature?

While the US leg has more live vocals, the European leg has better staging, better costumes and the band sounds better. Compare Another Part Of Me from the US shows to the European shows. The European shows sound much better.

Maybe the best solution would be to release a European show and then have Smooth Criminal, BAD and The Way You Make Me Feel from the US shows as a bonus feature?
I'm now wondering if the estate had gave us an edited bad tour show in the first place, would they have used only EU or USA footage? Or mix them both? I would assume they would just use EU because of the better crowd shots/lighting. If the edited show looked like that HQ ending Billie jean snippet from Wembley then I would have no complaints about the quality. I'd also hope MSG was fully recorded on Beta. Not just DD. It's interesting how MJ chose that performance for release on tape but APOM on film...

Yeah it was on there, might still be on there not sure

I don't see it there anymore. I noticed that the Wembley live album is there as part of some The Indispensable Collection. I didn't know it was released separately from the Bad 25 Deluxe edition.

Last edited:
I would really like to see one of the American shows. Landover amateur shot concert is incredible. The tempo is great and MJ has tons of energy. Also it would be great to have an arena show as they are a little bit more intimate. MSG also for Smooth Criminal live vocals.

The US leg is better than the European one.

I agree. The first US Leg has

- 98% Live singing. The only exception being MITM (even though you can clearly hear him singing underneath the playback and that he comes in earlier than usual.

- Better live vocals

- More spontaneous dancing (compare APOM from the US leg to the European leg. Almost all European performances of APOM are identical)

- Better venues (Because of the venues being indoor it has a much more warmer and controlled sound. The sound isn't bouncing everywhere)

- Higher keys for songs i.e Dirty Diana

- Better tracklist arrangement

Last edited:
I Kinda liked the US/indoor stages better.Meanwhile the atmoshpere seems better during the European shows.
Of course the first shows have more energy since everyone is fresh at the new chapter,
But it could be more differences.like slight dance move changes,Notes,or even Instrumentals.
I Don't have any specific US Concert on my whislist. but at this rate.anything from the first US leg.
There are some many good things to reveal,yet hard to find it.

Remember we still can’t really confirm if MITM was potentially sung live in Kansas City. It could make sense to sing it live a couple of times before resorting to playback from there on out

Rocketeer;4316327 said:
Remember we still can’t really confirm if MITM was potentially sung live in Kansas City. It could make sense to sing it live a couple of times before resorting to playback from there on out

He didn’t sing it live in rehearsal. So, I doubt he would have done it in the show.

Last edited:
dethorro;4316330 said:
He didn’t sing it live in rehearsal. So, I doubt he would have done it in the show.

I think the only time it was sung live would be the Dangerous Tour rehearsal?

<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/DEZ8i4BjHZg?vq=hd1080" width="560" height="315" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Back