deleted

well, they were canceled to film.. there is no production done at all.

dam2040;4316314 said:
Film sets? They were never filmed.

kai;4316315 said:
well, they were canceled to film.. there is no production done at all.

According to certain sources, Michael Jackson did start the filming of his ‘Unbreakable’ music video (when it was planned that this song was going to be the album’s first single).

This suggests that there are pictures and video footage from the ‘Unbreakable’ film set (taken by the staff that worked on it).

The duration of the ‘Unbreakable’ music video was around 20 minutes, and American actor Mel Gibson was also going to appear on it.

At one point during that music video’s production, Sony Music realized that the budget for that music video was getting too high, and as a result the record company cancelled the production.

On the other hand, the filming of the ‘Threatened’ music video never began, meaning that there were never pictures and video footage from that particular film set.

mj_frenzy;4316382 said:
According to certain sources, Michael Jackson did start the filming of his ‘Unbreakable’ music video (when it was planned that this song was going to be the album’s first single).

This suggests that there are pictures and video footage from the ‘Unbreakable’ film set (taken by the staff that worked on it).

The duration of the ‘Unbreakable’ music video was around 20 minutes, and American actor Mel Gibson was also going to appear on it.

At one point during that music video’s production, Sony Music realized that the budget for that music video was getting too high, and as a result the record company cancelled the production.

On the other hand, the filming of the ‘Threatened’ music video never began, meaning that there were never pictures and video footage from that particular film set.

MJ wanted Unbreakable and conceptualised it. It got no further when Sony said no. There was no director, cast, set, it never happened.

There was a director Michael unofficially “hired” for Unbreakable in early 2002. It was just a verbal agreement if I recall correctly, so nothing concrete. Michael was gonna fund it himself, but Sony told him not to bother since they were canceling all promo. I’ll try to find the guy’s name!

But even so, I wonder if there’s any concept art or script pages in existence. I’d love to hear from the allocated director.

This is from planetjackson.com, one of my favourite sites back in the day with reliable info:

30/10/2001 Unbreakable To Break All

Michael Jackson has more than one trick up his sleeve for INVINCIBLE.
After the great "You Rock My World" video, the King of Pop will return in early 2002 with a ground-breaking new short-film.
Michael Jackson has been working since last August on the video to accompany "Unbreakable," tentatively scheduled to be the third commercial single from the INVINCIBLE album.
Michael Jackson wants the "Unbreakable" short-film to shock the world. Work on the video has already been achieved at George Lucas' Industrial Light & Magic studios.

18/03/2002 Unbreakable Video

The filming of the "Unbreakable" video is now expected to start in April.
A previous concept for the video, directed by David Meyers, has been discarded by Michael Jackson.
The new project is to be produced by Michael, directed by Rush Hour's Brett Ratner and featuring Chris Tucker.

25/03/2002 "Unbreakable" Featuring Chris Tucker & Mel Gibson

This week, Michael Jackson has started preliminary work on the "Unbreakable" short-film with Chris Tucker and Mel Gibson. Filming is scheduled to begin shortly.

Last edited:
Brett Ratner! That’s the name — thank you!

Yeah, it was in the works, but nothing was ever filmed. I’d love to hear more about it though.

There are draft drawings available for "Unbreakable", that's all. "Threatened" is the last finished Jerkins track that got released on INVINCIBLE, obviously mainly as a hope to later repeat similiar success as with "Thriller". They certainly talked about ideas but there was no video for it on the schedule by the time the album was released and the troubling months after it when everybody realized MJ wasn't in his best form and health to get big things started. This album needed giant sales to recoup its huge production costs, it was doomed to fail. If you saw the video to YRMW and the MSG 30th concerts, you can understand why business decisions were made - doesn't matter if Michael or his fans understood them.

Korgnex;4316484 said:
There are draft drawings available for "Unbreakable", that's all. "Threatened" is the last finished Jerkins track that got released on INVINCIBLE, obviously mainly as a hope to later repeat similiar success as with "Thriller". They certainly talked about ideas but there was no video for it on the schedule by the time the album was released and the troubling months after it when everybody realized MJ wasn't in his best form and health to get big things started. This album needed giant sales to recoup its huge production costs, it was doomed to fail. If you saw the video to YRMW and the MSG 30th concerts, you can understand why business decisions were made - doesn't matter if Michael or his fans understood them.

I’m sure I’ve seen the Unbreakable storyboards somewhere over the years. Not sure.

dam2040;4316505 said:
I’m sure I’ve seen the Unbreakable storyboards somewhere over the years. Not sure.

I would love to see those. Hopefully someone can discover them and share them online, someday.

Michael Jackson envisioned the visual concept and story of his ‘Unbreakable’ music video in this way:

“…Michael even knew exactly how he wanted to open the ‘Unbreakable’ short film. He would be on the roof of a very tall building that was under construction, held over the edge by some thugs, and then they would let him go. He would go hurtling to the ground, seemingly dead, but slowly, his body parts would come together and he would turn into fire - dancing on fire from scaffold to scaffold as his body parts reassembled themselves. Michael envisioned creating a dance for ‘Unbreakable’ that people would remember forever…” (Frank Cascio, ‘My Friend Michael’ book)

The interesting thing here is that the singer was also about to introduce (in that music video) some brand new, amazing dance moves and choreographies that would stick to people’s mind forever.

Additionally, sources close to Michael Jackson revealed that the singer aimed at big sales with the ‘Invincible’ album also because his secret goal was to save the music business from the recession in the early ‘00s (just like he did with the big sales of his ‘Thriller’ album that saved the music business from a similar recession in the early ‘80s).

Korgnex;4316484 said:

The production costs of the ‘Invincible’ album were actually not that huge, but much lower.

The 30 million dollars of the album’s production costs was an exaggerated number that Sony Music announced to media in order to hype up that album (because that would create bigger anticipation from buyers for that album and therefore bigger sales).

Very interesting thanks Korgnex and Mj frenzy. Unbreakable once again sounded like it could of been on another level again.
Korgnex was you referring to Michael looking spaced out in both? I remember when we was supposed to be attending a very small impromptu gathering that he had arranged via his PR woman and that got cancelled because he was not well/ not ready but I feel so sorry for him as nobody knew the pain that man was putting up with and what he was going through!
The problem is the world misses him so much now but like always it's too late! Even these celebs that honour or admire him so much where were they when he needed them the most , where even were some fans? :(

Back