The - This Is It - duet with Paul Anka - appreciation thread

Hess

Proud Member
I don't know if there is already a thread like this but I really like this version.

The versions released on the This Is It-album with 2 versions are both melancolic and sad in a way - but the version released by Paul Anka is IMO far superior. It's happy, full of joy, a bit more up-beat.

If a MJ solo version existed with Paul Ankas arrangement it would be superb really. Such a carefree sweet song.

Does anybody else like the duet version too? The arrangement Paul Anka made?

Didn't know about the duet version.
I like both. (I just would have liked the lyrics to be louder in the duet because they sometimes get submerged by the music.)
So you yeah I guess the version you suggest could also be great.

Hess;4317676 said:
I don't know if there is already a thread like this but I really like this version.

The versions released on the This Is It-album with 2 versions are both melancolic and sad in a way - but the version released by Paul Anka is IMO far superior. It's happy, full of joy, a bit more up-beat.

If a MJ solo version existed with Paul Ankas arrangement it would be superb really. Such a carefree sweet song.

Does anybody else like the duet version too? The arrangement Paul Anka made?

The entire ‘This Is It’ era was a very sad and melancholic period for Michael Jackson and his fans (given the singer’s failing health and his untimely death), so the song and its orchestra version fit the ‘This Is It’ album, especially as the last two tracks on that album.

The entire ‘This Is It’ era was a very sad and melancholic period for Michael Jackson and his fans (given the singer’s failing health and his untimely death), so the song and its orchestra version fit the ‘This Is It’ album, especially as the last two tracks on that album.

It is strange though that this new single at that time (2009) had vocals that the singer recorded in the early ‘80s.

mj_frenzy;4317693 said:

It is strange though that this new single at that time (2009) had vocals that the singer recorded in the early ‘80s.

Do you just copy those from somewhere? I would write the sources if they are not your own words. Also I'm sure people here know the story of the song. :)

I really like the song. Michael's vocals are better in the solo version in my opinion.

Last edited:
My favorite is the version with the orchestra. The one used in Spike Lee's video. I've liked this song. It's a sad beautiful song.

My favorite is the version with the orchestra. The one used in Spike Lee's video. I've liked this song. It's a sad beautiful song.

I do not know why, but I can't find that video on YT, doe anyone have a link for it?

The Orhestra version is great too. - I just think the more uplifting feeling in the duet production fits the song better and it just makes me smile whenever I hear it.

michael wanted to do more of those before he pass.

The song is from the Thriller era. I doubt MJ would work more on the song.

Was the song on the list in MJ's house? - the list of songs he wanted to finish? If the story is true that "MJ took the song (the tapes) and ran" - then I doubt he would ever release this song - how could he? He needed Paul Anka's accept I guess? I hope there are more demoes in the vault in the same state (vocal-wise) as TII.

I do not know why, but I can't find that video on YT, doe anyone have a link for it?

good question. i don't know why the orchestra version isn't on the official channel yet. but you know the estate. it will one day. probably LQ but i got a feeling they will one day.

i don't think this is it suppose be a sad song. when i listen to it it sounds like a beautiful love song. even though it was made in the thriller era having it being release after michael passing was a great move.

The Orhestra version is great too. - I just think the more uplifting feeling in the duet production fits the song better and it just makes me smile whenever I hear it.

Do you mean this:

I really like the single cover:
image5375159.jpg

Last edited:
I don't think there is an orchestra version short film. Just the regular one was used for the video.

The Spike Lee video for This Is It is great. Nice tribute.

I do not understand why it's not on MJ's official youtube channel.

The version from Anka's album used Michael's vocals from the 2009 released version, and was Paul's vocals new?

The version from Anka's album used Michael's vocals from the 2009 released version, and was Paul's vocals new?

Good question. I don't know. I always thought it was new vocals, but really I do not know.

I really like Anka's version. His arrangement gives the song the flow it needed. Wish he would have used its real title, I Never Heard, for release.

Btw, this song was always intended being a duet between Anka & Jackson.

Yeah Spike Lee directed the video but it uses the normal version of the song. This is It movie end credits use the orcestral version with rehearsal clips.

Edit: I was wrong. This is the video:
https://vimeo.com/53428193

The video is set private & asks for pw

Just listened to some Anka's 1983 works, then to his "This is it" version... I would say that the lyrics to This is it were recorded later, but I could be wrong.

Also I stumbled upon this video, liked the song with the introduction speech:

Back