[REQ] Help identifying a precise version of a Thriller CD

Maxym

Proud Member
Donations
$6.00
Hello,

I ordered this on Discogs: https://www.discogs.com/Michael-Jackson-Thriller/release/1729490
R-1729490-1498845671-5757.jpeg.jpg

But instead I received this: https://www.discogs.com/Michael-Jackson-Thriller/release/265985
R-265985-1176682050.jpeg.jpg

Most numbers are identical, the only differences I can spot so far are
Matrix / Runout (Variant 5): Sony Music S0108593010-0101 44 A08
And the Epic labels are different.

I wanted that precise edition because it was what I owned years ago as on of my first MJ CDs. I'm not a fan of post-year-2000 remasters (though I must say that the remasters for the Jacksons albums and Off the wall and Thriller are among remasters that I found relatively acceptable).

First thing I would like to identify is the issue year of the CD I received (the year is not on Discogs for this one).

And, if by chance someone could confirm that this CD has indeed the 90s sound of the album and not some in-between remaster... but I expect that one goes too precise.

Another difference I noticed ar the associated rights societies. Only BIEM/STEMRA for the first one, more for the second one.

Thanks.
So it's closer in time to the remasters that I wanted to avoid

I already have Special Edition as CD and 25th as Hi Res digital ... these two sound excatly the same... I also have flac files of the Japanse 1st CD edition.
This CD I just received sounds closer to the 2001 remaster, only is a little less loud. I of course I can't remember if that sound I was hearing from my initial CD or not.

Hello,

I ordered this on Discogs: https://www.discogs.com/Michael-Jackson-Thriller/release/1729490
R-1729490-1498845671-5757.jpeg.jpg

But instead I received this: https://www.discogs.com/Michael-Jackson-Thriller/release/265985
R-265985-1176682050.jpeg.jpg

Most numbers are identical, the only differences I can spot so far are
Matrix / Runout (Variant 5): Sony Music S0108593010-0101 44 A08
And the Epic labels are different.

I wanted that precise edition because it was what I owned years ago as on of my first MJ CDs. I'm not a fan of post-year-2000 remasters (though I must say that the remasters for the Jacksons albums and Off the wall and Thriller are among remasters that I found relatively acceptable).

First thing I would like to identify is the issue year of the CD I received (the year is not on Discogs for this one).

And, if by chance someone could confirm that this CD has indeed the 90s sound of the album and not some in-between remaster... but I expect that one goes too precise.

You can buy the original 1982 CD on eBay, I'd show you pictures of mine but it's sealed...

MICHAEL_JACKSON_THRILLER-652045c.jpg

This here is one of the earliest European Thriller CDs. Only difference to the first Japanese is, this isn't pre-emphasised.

Thanks. I know that earlier pressing can be bought, and I consider it, but as I already have FLAC files for Japanese 1st pressing, it's not in my priorities.

I was really hoping to get an early 90s issue this time (and unluckily it happened that I got one for which Discogs doesn't know the year ...).

Also, I slightly got that feeling you get when you buy something and receive something slightly different instead, but I think that I'll only notify/message the seller, I don't think that I should ask a refund ... CD was cheap, highest cost was for international shipping.
And it was sealed so I'm not sure if there would have been a way for the seller to assign it to precise version.

Deception and confusion again ! But also more info.
This time I thought I ordered and early CD release of Thriller because back cover had reference "DI8P-11". There was not picture of the disc... but it was really cheap considering that I was buying something else from the same seller so I gave a try...
But inside the box was not a "DI8P-11" version but instead the European issue I was hoping to get (acutally "CDEPC-85930 61 B4 DADC AUSTRIA")
And I can now confirm that "CDEPC-85930 61 B4 DADC AUSTRIA" sounds precisely the same as "Sony Music S0108593010-0101 44 A08". (Which replies to my original question.)

Now I see that so many sellers have DDD ... Disc Disorder Disorder ... (which I just made up) ... which means that they can't place the right disc back in the right packaging... *makes me sad...*

Last edited:
Back