Records players, knowledge and opinions exchange

Maxym

Proud Member
Donations
$6.00
Creating this topic as branch from a topic from the 2000 watts forum where we started talking about record players and I’d be interested in more opinions/knowledge on this precise topic.

I’m still considering upgrading my rusty old record player.
Don’t misunderstand me, I don’t think that vinyl records can be qualified as audiophile *, what I want is that when I cannot get some sound on another support than vinyl records (no only MJ), I can make a top-notch digitization of it that will never make me want to look back at the physical record.

My budget is not "unlimited"… but I wouldn’t call it too "limited" as well.

I got first convinced of getting the Fluance RT85, and even possibly upgrade the already good cartridge. But after I read this, I realised that it’s not necessarily a good idea to import non-EU-supported devices to Europe.
https://www.reddit.com/r/vinyl/comments/axzhg2/any_way_to_get_fluances_reference_series_overseas/
(for some reason link returns me 503 error right now but was working ealier)
I had to eliminate Fluance and some other brands from my options.

I considered something like Audio Technica LP140XP or LP5X with something Ortofon 2M Blue, or Bronze, or even Black? But I hear things like the LP5X which is marketed as "audiophile" doesn’t actually have a truly balanced sound…

And considering the options available in local shops, I’m now thinking of
- Technics SL-1500c (from what I heard it’s got a VERY GOOD built-in preamp so I can skin an external amp, though I’ll still try to get reviews about the preamp itself, if any)
- Upgrading the already good cartridge … very tempted with Ortofon 2M Black though that makes the budget go high.

I’d like to hear if some people think these are bad choice (for other reasons than price tags).

Also considering record washing. Not "too many" records so time’s not a real problem, but I would consider the less risky ways…

Note: As mentioned in the other topic, I won’t have time to truly do everything of that before summer or fall. So it’s even possible that I completely change my mind.

---
(* and you have to put mountains of money and care to actually get some kind of audiophile sound from them. I think that well mastered CDs and well mastered digital files (possibly hi res) are more reliable and easier to use.
I’m actually even more convinced of this since I read that CD has a better dynamic range:
https://now.tufts.edu/articles/does-music-sound-better-vinyl-records-cds
Dynamics range very often the first argument you hear from record defenders.
Sample is rate is still a bit more hazy for me, some argue that records are better at it than CDs, but on that CD sample rate was choses be on Nyquist-Shannon theorem so that it cover all frenquencies the most humans can actually hear.
I agree that they look gorgeous when turning, they allow for larger cover arts, actual old edition have the nostalgia touch, and you can use them as Frisbees or cheese plates if they are too damaged,
and yet all the technical stuff and knowledge around record players may be appealing, but it’s not how I like to get sound…
Unless someone proves me otherwise… ? )
---

I mentioned in the other thread that I was suspicious about built-in phono amp. Even more after reading:
https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/technics-sl-1500c
Surprise number one is that the built-in phono stage is really good.
They’re giving it 5 stars everywhere, but still they are surprised that the built-in amp is good.

And going further, this one made my day, when he’s talking about those swiss-army-knife-type cheap players including built-in preamp AND speakers, and sometimes other stuff:
At approximately: 8:19 he says things like audio quality come in very low priority in these builds, they offer inferior sound quality and threaten to damage your vinyl records, they scream value for money but should be avoided, or report to police for potential crimes against music.
: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lgr0T51Qosc

Back