Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 187 USD, Received: 0 USD (0%)
We need your help...Please if you can help us with our cost's it will be hugely appreciated.

Thread: Do you guys think that Michael would've ever made a concept album like Queen or Prince?,

Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 35
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience PointsTagger Second Class3 months registered
    Level
    Thanks

Default Do you guys think that Michael would've ever made a concept album like Queen or Prince?,

As we all know, Michael always liked telling messages with his songs and albums, and he had many songs that told stories ("Who Is It", "Wanna Be Startin' Something", "Little Susie", "A Place With No Name", etc.) but he never really made an album that told one story in and of itself, like Queen or Prince did. His History album is the closest imho he ever got to making a concept album. He really liked telling stories in the short films he made, and I think that a concept album would've been the best of both worlds for him.

Why do you think he never made one, and do you think he ever would have had he lived longer or had things gone differently?
    "I am the one who chased the clouds away; I am forever and a day; nothing can hurt you." ~~ Best of Joy

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Default Re: Do you guys think that Michael would've ever made a concept album like Queen or Prince?,

Isn't HIStory a concept album? His-story? I always thought it was.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Thriller_MJ For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 35
    Achievements:
    500 Experience PointsTagger Second Class3 months registered
    Level
    Thanks

Default Re: Do you guys think that Michael would've ever made a concept album like Queen or Prince?,

I mean it actually might be, although when I think of a concept album I think of Pink Floyd's The Wall or Prince's Love Symbol. I think HIStory is sort of in-between genres but I'm not sure
    "I am the one who chased the clouds away; I am forever and a day; nothing can hurt you." ~~ Best of Joy

5. The Following User Says Thank You to king_of_style For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 139
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by king_of_style View Post
    I mean it actually might be, although when I think of a concept album I think of Pink Floyd's The Wall or Prince's Love Symbol. I think HIStory is sort of in-between genres but I'm not sure
    Yeah The Wall seamlessly blends all the tracks together into one long, cohesive narrative to the point where you almost can't tell where one song ends and another starts (unless you're listening on a device that doesn't have gapless playback). The HIStory album had a narrative but it was kind of all over the place. If Michael had done an album in the same vein as The Wall that would have been pretty cool.
    "Let's not be alone again. Will you be my partner? I hear a dance starting up. Come."

Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 582
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsOverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,163 Times in 1,949 Posts

I think he would’ve made an absolutely phenomenal concept album, but I don’t know if he would’ve been willing to. He seemed to be more about singular narratives, not overarching threads.

Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 205
    Overall activity: 55.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by king_of_style View Post
    As we all know, Michael always liked telling messages with his songs and albums, and he had many songs that told stories ("Who Is It", "Wanna Be Startin' Something", "Little Susie", "A Place With No Name", etc.) but he never really made an album that told one story in and of itself, like Queen or Prince did. His History album is the closest imho he ever got to making a concept album. He really liked telling stories in the short films he made, and I think that a concept album would've been the best of both worlds for him.

Why do you think he never made one, and do you think he ever would have had he lived longer or had things gone differently?
    The reason is that Michael Jackson created his albums as a collection of potential hit singles with unrelated themes, rather than with an album central concept in his mind.

That was his philosophy from ‘Off The Wall’ (1979) onwards, and the emergence of music video television channels in the following decades (such as, MTV) that aired music videos of songs released as singles also played a role for him to continue with that philosophy.

Michael Jackson wanted big sales along with high chart positions, and he was aware that concept albums are much more difficult to sell, to gain high chart success, or to produce successful singles.

Even the albums that he was working on after the 2005 trial were not meant to be concept albums (for instance, the album that he worked on with will.i.am was going to be a collection of dance hits with unrelated themes).

Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger First ClassVeteranOverdrive50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,724 Times in 1,141 Posts

Default concept

Quote Originally Posted by mj_frenzy View Post
    That was his philosophy from ‘Off The Wall’ (1979) onwards, and the emergence of music video television channels in the following decades (such as, MTV) that aired music videos of songs released as singles also played a role for him to continue with that philosophy.
    I never realized that all of the Jackson 5/Jacksons records were concept albums and he decided to abandon that idea with Off The Wall.

Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 156
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience PointsThree Friends

Level
    Thanks

Michael did a concept album, its called Blood On The Dance Floor. The NY Times agrees with me (https://www.nytimes.com/1997/05/20/a...urther-in.html) Those first 5 songs were extremely unique. Basically the birth of modern day gothic pop (Is It Scary, Ghosts), MJ channeling Trent Reznor on the metal infused Morphine, fusing dance floor classics like the title track, as well as the soulful funk number Superfly Sister.

Overall activity: 96.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Blog entryVeteranThree FriendsOverdrive50000 Experience Points

Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,209 Times in 1,799 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by travis3000 View Post
    Michael did a concept album, its called Blood On The Dance Floor. The NY Times agrees with me (https://www.nytimes.com/1997/05/20/a...urther-in.html) Those first 5 songs were extremely unique. Basically the birth of modern day gothic pop (Is It Scary, Ghosts), MJ channeling Trent Reznor on the metal infused Morphine, fusing dance floor classics like the title track, as well as the soulful funk number Superfly Sister.
    Wow, this is a great review!! ''Mr. Jackson's pain is often the world's merriment'' how true!!

Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 205
    Overall activity: 55.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

Moderators, please delete my above double post.

Quote Originally Posted by DuranDuran View Post
    I never realized that all of the Jackson 5/Jacksons records were concept albums and he decided to abandon that idea with Off The Wall.

All of the Jackson 5/Jacksons albums were not concept albums either, but they are irrelevant in this regard because Michael Jackson was just a member of the band and he had not full, creative control.

That is why, I referred to his adult, solo albums because here he had full, creative control and he could decide by himself if he wanted to make them concept albums or not.

Quote Originally Posted by travis3000 View Post
    Despite what this article claims, ‘Blood On The Dance Floor’ is not a concept album.

For example, ‘Superfly Sister’ (thematically) is totally unrelated to the rest four, new songs of the album.

Also, this article has some mistakes, like this one:

…Lyrics like ''every hot man is out takin' a chance'' point to Susie as a metaphor for AIDS…

The ‘Blood On The Dance Floor’ song does not metaphorically refer to AIDS, and this was actually confirmed by Teddy Riley when he was asked about that (in a fanzine interview from back in the day).

Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 28
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Michael had a great idea when he sampled Rod Sterling on Threatened and was inspired by one of the episodes to write The Lost Children. It would be pretty cool to hear a concept album inspired by the tv series. Imagine if Invincible was expanded upon using this concept.

Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 27
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

No. Michael wasn't about that. He didn't operate that way

Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdrive1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,607 Times in 1,247 Posts

Maybe

Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 56
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

I think Destiny and History are about as close as you can get.

Quote Originally Posted by mj_frenzy View Post
    The reason is that Michael Jackson created his albums as a collection of potential hit singles with unrelated themes, rather than with an album central concept in his mind.
    This. Although he sold a lot of albums, the real focus was on releasing something where you could pull out 6 or 7 hit singles. It's a different focus. There were too many people involved for MJ to do a concept album.

Early on, he was just a singer. And by the time he got to Invincible, every song had a different writer, a different producer and a different drummer. There was no chance.:rolleyes: