"Music & Me" and "Music & Me" confusion!

Dan

Proud Member
Hi everyone I maybe completely late to this party but just in case there are people like me who had no idea about this, I'd thought I'd post it. I have been a fan for YEARS and had no idea about this until 2 minutes ago. "Music & Me" always confused me as it was a studio album that contained already released tracks but this is not "Music & Me" the studio album. Motown released a compilation album with the same name in the '90s. I have seen EVERYONE using the cover of the '73 album for the compilation album and never clocked that there were two different albums, so BE CAREFUL if you're listening on YouTube or anything like that or if you're buying the CD and you think the cover is different because it's a re-issue or something like that. Watch the track listing (because they're a little similar) so you know what you're actually getting!

This is the studio album, released in 1973:
Mjmusicandme.jpg

TRACK LISTING:

1. With a Child's Heart
  2. Up Again
  3. All the Things You Are
  4. Happy (Love Theme from Lady Sings the Blues)
  5. Too Young
  6. Doggin' Around
  7. Euphoria
  8. Morning Glow
  9. Johnny Raven
  10. Music and Me

This is the compilation album:
Music_%26_Me_compilation_album_cover.jpg

TRACK LISTING:

1. Rockin' Robin
  2. Johnny Raven
  3. Shoo-Be-Doo-Be-Doo-Da-Day
  4. Happy
  5. Too Young
  6. Up Again
  7. With a Child's Heart
  8. Ain't No Sunshine
  9. Euphoria
  10. Morning Glow
  11. Music and Me
  12. All the Things You Are, Are Mine
  13. Cinderella Stay Awhile
  14. We've Got Forever

Yup, I remember stumbling onto this issue back in the late 90's trying to acquire every commercially released song of Michael as well as the Jackson 5/Jacksons. As I recall back in those days it was REALLY tough to find the song "Doggin' Around", outside of tracking down the vinyl release of "Music & Me". I don't think that track made it onto any compilations back in the day. Come to think of it, I'm not sure how I finally got ahold of it........I think I traded/bought it from a collector that put together custom CDs.......now this has me going down memory lane!! lol

@Loneman1: I randomly stumbled upon "Music and me" (the album) and "Forever Michael", both on CD when going in a random shop in a random city in my country around 1995. I always wondered why the nearby record shop where I used to go never tried to sell these to me since the guy knew I would be looking for any MJ songs... But didn't need to dig vinyl records for it...

Though on the other hand, some J5 albums were extremly hard to find... And I only ever got a copy of "Looking Back To Yesterday" when "Hello world" came out...

@Loneman1: I randomly stumbled upon "Music and me" (the album) and "Forever Michael", both on CD when going in a random shop in a random city in my country around 1995. I always wondered why the nearby record shop where I used to go never tried to sell these to me since the guy knew I would be looking for any MJ songs... But didn't need to dig vinyl records for it...

Though on the other hand, some J5 albums were extremly hard to find... And I only ever got a copy of "Looking Back To Yesterday" when "Hello world" came out...

That is awesome!! I found a lot of what I was looking for locally here as well at a massive record store that was owned by a local DJ that had a collection of vastly diverse stuff, including a decent amount of J5/early MJ years solo stuff. I had to go online to buy the "Dancing Machine" and "Moving Violation" vinyls as I recall because I had never seen those records for sale in person in my life up to that point. I transferred all the vinyl to CD, cleaning up the pops as best as I could. It was really nice a number of years later to finally have official releases on CD of all those old albums, complete with bonus tracks!

Back