Your ultimate MJ rarities compilation?

Maxym

Proud Member
Donations
$6.00
I had this thread in mind recently but since Dan came up with similar thread (but about regular albums:Let's Our Definitive MJ Album! and Ultimate Album Shootout!), this brought me back to the idea of actually creating the thread.

What would your ultimate MJ rarities compilation look like?

Rules
  • Anything that is sound and that it not on regular releases is accepted. *
  • Length equivalent to 1 or 2 CDs (each CD may be up to 80 minutes)
  • Regarding leaks (or any) only the best currently available quality is taken into account. (Which means that if you include "Throwing You Life Away" ... it's only the crappy version that is available so far.)

Some precisions: B-sides like "Shouth" are accepted, bonus tracks like "For all time" are accepted. "Come together" not accepted since it's on HIStory after it's been a b-side (though if it is the "long version" that you want to include, it could be accepted), tracks from "Joyeful Jukebox Music", "Boogie", "Looking Back To Yesterday" and "Blood On The Dance Floor" are not accepted. Tracks that are only on The Ultimate Collection are accepted.

My current selection:

Disc 1. - It's mostly catchy ballad we a few exceptions and I really like this tracklist.
01. When you wish upon a star / Follow the yellow brick road / Ease on down the road (TV medley from Disney, 1980)
02. I'm in love again (posthumous duet with Minnie Riperton, 1980)
03. There must be more to life than this (MJ with piano demo)
04. There must be more to life than this (duet version) (which I think is NOT the fan-made duet version, yet NOT the remix version released by Queen a few years ago)
05. Someone in the dark (opening version)
06. Someone in the dark (closing version)
07. Scared of the moon (demo)
08. We are the world (MJ's solo demo)
09. You were there (live, 1989)
10. For all time
11. If you don't love me
12. Happy birthday Lisa (MJ's version of course)
13. I'll be there (Pepsi)
14. Much too soon (demo with only MJ's vocal and guitar ... which I not actually 100% sure if it's genuine but I think so)
15. On the line
16. People of the world (MJ's demo)
17. Seeing voices (part 1, instrumental) (I cut it in two so I can get to the lyrics part directly, depending on my mood)
18. Seeing voices (part 2)
19. All in you name
20. We've had enough
21. Days in Gloucestershire (demo, 2003?)

Disc 2.
01. You're the one (Jennifer Holliday, written by MJ, 1985 I think)
02. Carousel (full version)
03. P.Y.T. (slow demo version) (I used to have it on disc 1 between "There Must Be More To Life Than This" and "Someone In The Dark" but I moved it because I wanted to include "We've had enough".)
04. She's trouble (demo)
05. Night line (demo)
07. Sunset driver (demo)
09. The lady in my life (with unreleased vocals)
10. Al Capone
11. Price of fame
12. Free
13. Fly away
14. Alright now (Ralph Tresvant, written by MJ, 1991 I think)
15. Smile (alternate vocal take)
16. Elizabeth, I love you (live) (some fan-remastered version, live 1997)
17. What more can I give?
18. One more chance (2003)
19. I am a loser (demo, 2004?)
20. What more can I give? (live)

They're not necessarily definitive (Disc 1 may be, Disc 2 less likely), I know that I ignored some stuff that could have made it there because I've known them for a much longer time ... like "Eaten alive", "Save me", "Say say say", "Mind is the magic" ... Or yet "When we grow up" and "Just friends" because I didn't know them yet or they dropped out of my attention when I made the selection. And possibly the alternate versions of "The lady in my life" and "Smile" don't bring so much compared to their classic versions.

Last edited:
I think mine would be a simple one disc with my favorite cuts....

1. Sunset Driver
2. Nite Line
3. Free
4. Starlight
5. Mind is the Magic
6. What About Us
8. Someone Put Your Hand Out
9. In the Back
10. I'll Be There (Pepsi Version)
11. Big Boy
12. On the Line

My list would be for ones that haven't gotten much or any attention outside of the MJ fandom, and I think a good title would be either Michael Jackson's Starlight or Gloucestershire. But it goes:

Side One:
  1. If'n I Was God
  2. Sunset Driver
  3. Carousel
  4. Got the Hots
  5. Starlight
Side Two:
  1. On the Line
  2. Fall Again
  3. In the Back
  4. Gloucestershire
  5. We've Had Enough

I would've ended it on "Gloucestershire" but that song is pretty barebones in terms of production and state of completion (I mean it is a demo after all) and "We've Had Enough" would be a great closing track and deserves more love.

"If'n I Was God" is not what I consider a rare track ... unless maybe if it's the 1973 version. I don't want to get too pick anyway.

I think that it's only available on Motown's Anthology, but yet only on the 1995 edition (along with Love's Gone Bad 1972 and Make Tonight All Mine 1973).
I got a bit confused because in my memory the classic version for If 'n I was God was with MJ's child voice, but my memory may have had flaw because it's actually like the first sentence that sounds like child voice.
"1973 mix" sound like a more natural grown up MJ voice which made me guess that the classic version was earlier, but now I don't know, I think that both versions are from that era when his voice was changing. It's a song from Music & Me sessions if I'm not mistaking, or maybe Get It Together...
And I don't have time right now but I'd like to check again if they are actually two different vocal takes of just different mixes.

Back