Gratitude Thread

Dan

Proud Member
Hi everyone. I struggle sometimes to stay happy, do you?. I have anxiety and the biggest cause of that is change. Everyday I have a longing for comfort, routine and familiarity. When things suddenly change such as, breaking up with a partner, moving house and even sometimes being out of the house for too long, my anxiety will flare up and/or I will get low, lost and even lonely. Sometimes I do even find myself feeling lonely in the presence of others, often at parties and other social gatherings. I can identify that I have some pretty big attachment issues, I feel lost and lonely today since my girlfriend just broke up with me (completely peacefully, she's really, really struggling with her own mental health at the minute and she is struggling to get out of bed, let alone carry the pressure and responsibility that comes with a romantic relationship, especially in the middle of a global pandemic. - There was no drama or discourse at all is what I am trying to explain) and even though we had only been together for 2 months, I feel lost and anxious knowing that we aren't going to video call and watch Netflix tonight (Which, of course is a pretty normal way to feel after a breakup. In fact I feel good, in comparison to my last breakup with a girl I was with for 2 and a half years and lived with. Boy, that was rough.) However, I still recognise that I project and have a subconscious belief that another person will solve this longing I have to feel safe and comfortable, when in reality it's a lack of connection to myself and not the absence of a relationship with another person but rather the absence of a relationship with myself.

I want to grow. I want to know who I am and more importantly, love who I am and be comfortable with being with me. There are some really important practices that I need to implement in my life to ease anxiety, become comfortable with who I am and feel fulfilled my own actions instead of expecting someone else to fulfill me.

1. Practice gratitude
2. Help other people
3. Be part of a community

I thought I would start this thread to do all three of these things. Let's list off three things that we're grateful for. Whenever you feel down, lost, anxious or in despair, just come onto this thread and make a comment. List three things you're grateful for in your life and talk and console others. It's very important to look after ourselves and each other.

These three things can be anything that makes you happy. They can be materialistic (my laptop, my guitars, my piano), spiritual (God (in which ever form God is to you), meditation, prayer), they can be even simpler (the sky, trees, the sun). Just think of three things and hop back in here to list another three when ever you need too.

I'll start:

I am grateful for:

- My family and friends
- The ability to write and record music
- This community

What about you?

Hi everyone. I struggle sometimes to stay happy, do you?. I have anxiety and the biggest cause of that is change. Everyday I have a longing for comfort, routine and familiarity. When things suddenly change such as, breaking up with a partner, moving house and even sometimes being out of the house for too long, my anxiety will flare up and/or I will get low, lost and even lonely. Sometimes I do even find myself feeling lonely in the presence of others, often at parties and other social gatherings. I can identify that I have some pretty big attachment issues, I feel lost and lonely today since my girlfriend just broke up with me (completely peacefully, she's really, really struggling with her own mental health at the minute and she is struggling to get out of bed, let alone carry the pressure and responsibility that comes with a romantic relationship, especially in the middle of a global pandemic. - There was no drama or discourse at all is what I am trying to explain) and even though we had only been together for 2 months, I feel lost and anxious knowing that we aren't going to video call and watch Netflix tonight (Which, of course is a pretty normal way to feel after a breakup. In fact I feel good, in comparison to my last breakup with a girl I was with for 2 and a half years and lived with. Boy, that was rough.) However, I still recognise that I project and have a subconscious belief that another person will solve this longing I have to feel safe and comfortable, when in reality it's a lack of connection to myself and not the absence of a relationship with another person but rather the absence of a relationship with myself.

I want to grow. I want to know who I am and more importantly, love who I am and be comfortable with being with me. There are some really important practices that I need to implement in my life to ease anxiety, become comfortable with who I am and feel fulfilled my own actions instead of expecting someone else to fulfill me.

1. Practice gratitude
2. Help other people
3. Be part of a community

I thought I would start this thread to do all three of these things. Let's list off three things that we're grateful for. Whenever you feel down, lost, anxious or in despair, just come onto this thread and make a comment. List three things you're grateful for in your life and talk and console others. It's very important to look after ourselves and each other.

These three things can be anything that makes you happy. They can be materialistic (my laptop, my guitars, my piano), spiritual (God (in which ever form God is to you), meditation, prayer), they can be even simpler (the sky, trees, the sun). Just think of three things and hop back in here to list another three when ever you need too.

I'll start:

I am grateful for:

- My family and friends
- The ability to write and record music
- This community

What about you?

Thank you for this thread, Dan. It's a beautiful idea! :wub:

You sound like a very sensitive soul, just like my own son, whose name is also Dan. :)

Three things that I feel grateful for (today and always) are:

My good health
My beautiful loving family
My home, which is my sanctuary

Thank you for this thread, Dan. It's a beautiful idea! :wub:

You sound like a very sensitive soul, just like my own son, whose name is also Dan. :)

Three things that I feel grateful for (today and always) are:

My good health
My beautiful loving family
My home, which is my sanctuary

Thank you so much! I am very sensitive, to a fault sometimes :hysterical:

We use others as keys to unlock positive feelings within ourselves. But you don't need an external key to find peace, love, happiness, or contentment. You are the key and you can unlock those states of being through things like mindfulness, meditation, and practicing gratitude. On that note, this is a lovely thread. Regularly practicing gratitude has all kinds of great benefits.

Today, and every day, I am grateful for:

Krishna
My family
My health. Even though it's not great, it's manageable. For that I am incredibly thankful.

We use others as keys to unlock positive feelings within ourselves. But you don't need an external key to find peace, love, happiness, or contentment. You are the key and you can unlock those states of being through things like mindfulness, meditation, and practicing gratitude. On that note, this is a lovely thread. Regularly practicing gratitude has all kinds of great benefits.

Today, and every day, I am grateful for:

Krishna
My family
My health. Even though it's not great, it's manageable. For that I am incredibly thankful.

This is true, I have horrific anxiety, especially at the moment and I have trying my best to stay spiritual but I am finding it hard. Wouldn't have any tips for connecting with myself would you, as in the real me not the materialistic driven, negative thoughts me but the witness?

Dan;4320331 said:
This is true, I have horrific anxiety, especially at the moment and I have trying my best to stay spiritual but I am finding it hard. Wouldn't have any tips for connecting with myself would you, as in the real me not the materialistic driven, negative thoughts me but the witness?

I recommend reading The Untethered Soul by Michael Singer. The Power Of Now by Eckhart Tolle is similar and also fantastic. Also check out Eckhart's YouTube, he has loads of great videos and meditations - https://youtube.com/c/EckhartTolle

Practice coming back into present awareness whenever you can, wherever you are, whatever you're doing, and just allow the fullness of the moment, whatever it is. Breathe. Take in your surroundings without labelling or judging. Just Be.

I have an anxiety disorder so I understand the struggle. Remind yourself that your ego, mind, thoughts, feelings, sense experiences — all of these changeable things are not you. Think of them as clouds arising and passing in a clear blue sky. You, your true Self, is the sky. Unchanging, infinite, deathless; pure, loving awareness.

Meditate as often as you can. Every day if possible, even if it's just for a few minutes. It's natural for your mind to wander. Don't try and resist, but when you notice it wandering, just bring yourself back to your point of focus. You can focus on your breath, a candle flame, soft music, imagine a beautiful place, repeat a mantra, or if you connect with a particular form of God you can sit and visualise Them.
The more you meditate the more you will find the peace and love of the Self spill over into your daily life.

Here's a great awareness meditation video - https://youtu.be/us0v67dmCbI

This podcast is brilliant as well - https://beherenownetwork.com/category/ram-dass/

My spirituality is my main focus so I have lots of different resources if you want more or want to talk more. I don't think we have a spirituality thread, might be worth making one.

Back