Whats the story behind Free?

Thriller_MJ

Proud Member
It's no secret that Michael wrote a lot of songs during album prepping sessions, some were recorded and some weren't one that was recorded was Free. I've been a fan for a while and I had never heard of Free till i bought Bad 25 but i've been curious what the background story/info is on this song.

Would love to know more about the song as well!! I really really love that song!!! ?

I don't know if there is a story to it to be honest. AlwaysThere or Themidwestcowboy are the best guys to ask on here, they're both great with info and their opinions are really interesting

I don't think Free was ever seriously considered for Bad, at least in that state of completion as we've heard it. I'd guess it was done between 1985-86. I believe it was a Havenhurst song with the "B Team" (John Barnes, Matt Forger those guys)
Not sure if the song was ever completed or worked on again really but who knows. Mike had a great knack for writing catchy hooks, and songs with the strongest hooks would always draw him back to complete them

I love the song myself, I remember hearing it for the first time with a big smile on my face because it was nice to hear Mike sound happy and care free on a track again. You can almost picture him smiling while recording this

SmoothCriminal1995;4320269 said:
I don't know if there is a story to it to be honest. AlwaysThere or Themidwestcowboy are the best guys to ask on here, they're both great with info and their opinions are really interesting

I don't think Free was ever seriously considered for Bad, at least in that state of completion as we've heard it. I'd guess it was done between 1985-86. I believe it was a Havenhurst song with the "B Team" (John Barnes, Matt Forger those guys)
Not sure if the song was ever completed or worked on again really but who knows. Mike had a great knack for writing catchy hooks, and songs with the strongest hooks would always draw him back to complete them

I love the song myself, I remember hearing it for the first time with a big smile on my face because it was nice to hear Mike sound happy and care free on a track again. You can almost picture him smiling while recording this

YES to everything you said about practically seeing him smile while recording it!! 👍🏻😃 And also considering everything he was put through, he now is “free”, so it’s almost like you can hear a happy Michael singing from the heavens. At least now no one can ever hurt him anymore. He is free. ❤️

I say the same thing about him smiling when I hear alot of 87 & previous

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

Back