What has happened to music ?

Jim Crawford

Proud Member
So today I was on my way to get my vaccine and so I decided to turn on my radio. Oh my god... The songs have become worse.

The 1950s-1980s was a beautiful and incredible time for music and amazing music was being released every week and the records then were incredible.

The talent then too. Michael Jackson being an example for his heyday of the 70s and 80s.

I feel music took a huge nosedive in the early 90s and hasn't recovered since.

What do you think?

Music is dead

Back in the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s amazing music was easily available from talented bands and artists like Michael Jackson, Prince, Donna Summer, George Michael, Marvin Gaye, Queen, Led Zeppelin, David Bowie, Joni Mitchell, Rolling Stones etc.

After the 80s, music took a huge nosedive across many genre's.

Even Prince said the 60s-80s were the golden ages of music in 2011

What do you all think?

Re: Music is dead

i agree. all the music i listen nowadays are from the 20th century or the early 21th century. in my opinion music die in the mid-2000. maybe i'm just old fashion but music definitely isn't the same anymore. all the legends are almost gone and this coming from an young person.

people say music die in the 90's not to me in my opinion it die in mid-2000's. the 90's wasn't that bad. there was a few songs that didn't talk about sex, shooting people, etc. but i understand what you mean.

I agree what Prince say the music during the 60’s and the 80’s were a golden age. When Michael died, it’s like music just died and some say after Prince died, music has died.

Music today just sux @$$ majorly.

PoP;4320865 said:
I agree what Prince say the music during the 60’s and the 80’s were a golden age. When Michael died, it’s like music just died and some say after Prince died, music has died.

Music today just sux @$$ majorly.

agree. once Michael died everything started to fall. it's was falling while he alive but got worst after he died. Michael made the music industry and they trying so hard to erase him like he never existed. they can try as much they want but Michael will never be erase and forever legend same as Prince etc.

So today I was on my way to get my vaccine and so I decided to turn on my radio. Oh my god... The songs have become worse.

The 1950s-1980s was a beautiful and incredible time for music and amazing music was being released every week and the records then were incredible.

The talent then too. Michael Jackson being an example for his heyday of the 70s and 80s.

What do you think?

Back in the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s amazing music was easily available from talented bands and artists like Michael Jackson, Prince, Donna Summer, George Michael, Marvin Gaye, Queen, Led Zeppelin, David Bowie, Joni Mitchell, Rolling Stones etc.

After the 80s, music took a huge nosedive across many genre's.

Even Prince said the 60s-80s were the golden ages of music in 2011

What do you all think?

After the 1980s, music did not take a huge nosedive across many genres, because amazing and very successful music continued to be released.

Look at the 1990s for example, which was the golden era for many genres, like for rock, and especially for alternative rock (Nirvana, Metallica, among others).

Also, Britpop, a form of British-based alternative rock, emerged at that time and it became very successful internationally (Oasis, Blur, and other such acts).

Also, the 1990s was the golden era for pop music (Spice Girls, Backstreet Boys, Christina Aguilera, Britney Spears, Destiny's Child, Mariah Carey, to name a few).

Also, in the 1990s, hip hop became a mainstream and an even more commercial genre (such as, Snoop Dogg, Tupac Shakur, The Notorious B.I.G., Jay-Z) to the point where it was the top-selling genre towards the end of that decade.

After the 1980s, music did not take a huge nosedive across many genres, because amazing and very successful music continued to be released.

Look at the 1990s for example, which was the golden era for many genres, like for rock, and especially for alternative rock (Nirvana, Metallica, among others).

Also, Britpop, a form of British-based alternative rock, emerged at that time and it became very successful internationally (Oasis, Blur, and other such acts).

Also, the 1990s was the golden era for pop music (Spice Girls, Backstreet Boys, Christina Aguilera, Britney Spears, Destiny's Child, Mariah Carey, to name a few).

Also, in the 1990s, hip hop became a mainstream and an even more commercial genre (such as, Snoop Dogg, Tupac Shakur, The Notorious B.I.G., Jay-Z) to the point where it was the top-selling genre towards the end of that decade.

I agree. I definitely would NOT include the nineties in the so-called "downturn" of music. People who think music died in the 2000s normally just don't like the music genres that became prevalent in those times and beyond. I think good music can be found every year and in every decade, even though I definitely have a soft spot for the eighties and nineties. I tend to follow specific artists and bands, rather than a music genre and that way I know I won't be disappointed and I am definitely someone who appreciates good lyrics.

This is probably the worst website to post your thoughts about modern music, 90% of the users who are on this website are kids but I'll answer anyways. I agree with Prince when he said the golden era of music was the 60s 70s and 80s because in those era's music was original, the centre of youth culture, no one didn't need to copy shit in terms of soundings, there were a shit ton of innovation going on back then.

Bob Dylan was spot on when he said music had lost the plot in a 1992 magazine interview.

The 90s were the golden age of pop? How old are you? 12? The 80s is considered the golden age of pop, rock also had its best days in the 60s and 70s.

people say music die in the 90's not to me in my opinion it die in mid-2000's. the 90's wasn't that bad. there was a few songs that didn't talk about sex, shooting people, etc. but i understand what you mean.

Sounds like you didn't live through the 90s.

Edit: never mind, just found out you're a young. Shame you missed out

Last edited:
I think mainstream music has improved these last couple of years compared to what it has been. Much better than the auto-tune era nonsense we got in the mid-late 00's. Music now a days is focusing more on melody where in the mid-late 00's the main focus just seemed to be on mindless beats.

There are some good bands and artists out there, we just don't hear about them.
I tried to listen to an Ed Shearan song the other day, to find out what his popularity is about. I don't get it, his music is awful. He has a new song called "Bad Habits", it sucks big time.

I had to drive with some family members in their car, for a few hours. They turned on the radio, and all the songs were awful and sounded the same.

Lol, like I said, not the right question to ask on a Michael forum since 90% of them are Millennials and Gen Z, they didn't grow up in a good music era. To them Spice Girls are their legends 😂

Lol, like I said, not the right question to ask on a Michael forum since 90% of them are Millennials and Gen Z, they didn't grow up in a good music era. To them Spice Girls are their legends 😂
Urm... well, what is yours then.

Gen Z is also people born in 1968, so you are not totally right...

Adele seems to be the saving grace of modern music. She's ethereal, her voice sings to your heart and soul. She's not just standing there spouting autotune, manufactured pop garbage sound out of her mouth like so many Pop Stars do today. Adele's music, feels like it will be timeless and will STILL sound good in say 2050 whereas MANY Pop Stars music will sound like garbage in say 2050.

If you start digging there is still good music to be found. Those don’t get much airplay because youth buys music and they are into what you hear on commercial radio stations these days.

Regarding Adele her music drives me crazy. I have never been into the big female voices and Adele isn’t able to change that.

What do you think?
Pop music hasn't really been listenable to me since the boy bands of the 1990s. Everything else is just way to autotuned and artificial for my tastes and its really only gotten worse. However, that's not to say that all music from the modern day is bad. I mean theres an entire genre dedicated to making 80s styled pop music called "New Retro Wave" Theres also so much good new rock and metal coming out, but sadly we gotta accept that good music probably will never get the media attention it deserves these days.

Back