Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 187 USD, Received: 62 USD (33%)
We need your help...Please if you can help us with our cost's it will be hugely appreciated.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Michael Album Appreciation Thread

Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 735
    Overall activity: 77.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsOverdriveTagger Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,554 Times in 1,287 Posts

Default Re: Michael Album Appreciation Thread

I'm not sure if everyone's seen "The Making Of" video for "Michael". It's actually very touching to hear from those who were involved in the collaborations for it - there is so much love and respect from those who worked on the songs with MJ when he was alive and they were highly motivated to make something that he would have been proud of. Like I said....it's sad what happened. Really sad.

Last edited by Mikky Dee; 11-04-2021 at 07:50 AM. Reason: Posted the entire documentary

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mikky Dee For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 42
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Here is the link to the full making of https://youtu.be/15TxYH0hAjQ it was unlisted

4. The Following User Says Thank You to SSdman123 For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 45.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranTagger Second Class50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,310 Times in 1,125 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothGangsta View Post
    Stewart Brawley is the answer to that mystery. He worked on the invincible album and helped put those songs together.
    Yes, the audio I made initially had Steward Brawley in its title, however, I removed it because I personally have no proof he is the one who did it. But it's a huge probability, and we will find out soon anyway. Just need some more patience yet again.

The Michael album could've been pretty good, if it was replaced with 3 other legit tracks for sure.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SSdman123 View Post
    Here is the link to the full making of https://youtu.be/15TxYH0hAjQ it was unlisted
    Thank you! I will embed this one in my earlier post, as a substitute for Part 1. :)

Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 926
    Overall activity: 87.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsOverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,136 Times in 1,935 Posts

Re-listening to Michael over the past few years, I’ve grown to appreciate not only the song selection, but also how the producers very clearly did their best to honor the material MJ left behind. I’m not crazy about all the creative liberties taken (don’t even get me started on Lenny Kravitz’s “Another Day” hack job), but listening to the available demos, it’s clear that the goal was to embellish and complete, not necessarily to remix. And, in most cases, I love what the producers did, especially John McClain and Teddy Riley. (Controversy and song quality notwithstanding, the production on “Breaking News” and “Monster” is killer.)

I also think the track listing is pretty wonderful. Obviously the Cascio tracks should be forgotten entirely, but “Hollywood Tonight”? “Best of Joy”? “Behind the Mask”? “Much Too Soon”? Some of the best music we’ve heard from MJ since his passing.

Faults and all, I personally think Michael is a far stronger and more rewarding listening experience than XSCAPE, and I hope that any future singles/albums toe the line between Michael and Bad 25 in terms of their handling of the material.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AlwaysThere For This Useful Post:

Overall activity: 99.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Blog entryVeteranThree FriendsOverdrive50000 Experience Points

Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,195 Times in 1,790 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysThere View Post
    Re-listening to Michael over the past few years, I’ve grown to appreciate not only the song selection, but also how the producers very clearly did their best to honor the material MJ left behind. I’m not crazy about all the creative liberties taken (don’t even get me started on Lenny Kravitz’s “Another Day” hack job), but listening to the available demos, it’s clear that the goal was to embellish and complete, not necessarily to remix. And, in most cases, I love what the producers did, especially John McClain and Teddy Riley. (Controversy and song quality notwithstanding, the production on “Breaking News” and “Monster” is killer.)

I also think the track listing is pretty wonderful. Obviously the Cascio tracks should be forgotten entirely, but “Hollywood Tonight”? “Best of Joy”? “Behind the Mask”? “Much Too Soon”? Some of the best music we’ve heard from MJ since his passing.

Faults and all, I personally think Michael is a far stronger and more rewarding listening experience than XSCAPE, and I hope that any future singles/albums toe the line between Michael and Bad 25 in terms of their handling of the material.
    I’ve just listened to Monster for the first time in many years and it’s actually hilarious to me how anyone can hear that second verse especially and think it’s MJ.. it’s even worse than remembered. The lyrics are almost worse, which is really saying something.

“And they eat your soul (like a vegetable)” just made me burst out laughing. It’s so bad.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to dam2040 For This Useful Post:

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dam2040 View Post
    I’ve just listened to Monster for the first time in many years and it’s actually hilarious to me how anyone can hear that second verse especially and think it’s MJ.. it’s even worse than remembered. The lyrics are almost worse, which is really saying something.

“And they eat your soul (like a vegetable)” just made me burst out laughing. It’s so bad.
    Yeah, the Cascio vocal performances are horrendous. It’s astonishing to me that ANYONE legitimately thinks they’re authentic. But honestly, “Monster” isn’t even the worst. Imagine if they put “Fall in Love” on the album... yikes.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AlwaysThere For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 191
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,750 Times in 976 Posts

LOL Fall In Love is a gem for sure

14. The Following User Says Thank You to SmoothGangsta For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 37
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience PointsTagger Second Class3 months registered
    Level
    Thanks

Yeah, the Cascio vocal performances are horrendous. It’s astonishing to me that ANYONE legitimately thinks they’re authentic. But honestly, “Monster” isn’t even the worst. Imagine if they put “Fall in Love” on the album... yikes.

At this point it's not even the sound of his vocals but it's the lyrical content that seals the deal for me that none of these are MJ songs. MJ had a range to his voice that maybe could explain why the Cascio tracks sound different, but he was consistently deep and thoughtful with all of his lyrics. The singer on the Cascio tracks just stumbles through inane verse after inane verse in order to get to the next chorus. Michael may not have always sung lyrics that made perfect sense (take "Smooth Criminal" for example) but his message always came across clear.
    "I am the one who chased the clouds away; I am forever and a day; nothing can hurt you." ~~ Best of Joy

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks

LOLOLOL. Well, Michael did sing, "you're a vegetable" in WBSS.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Mikky Dee For This Useful Post:

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks

All. of. this. Especially the emboldened.

Side note: I really hope this thread CAN take the path of an APPRECIATION of the album itself (production, art work, etc.) and the seven non-Cascio tracks, rather than just another Cascio-track bashing thread. Those kinds of posts are meant to be in the "Great Album Debate" thread, in Trials and Tribulations.

Please carry on, everyone.

:)

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Mikky Dee For This Useful Post:

Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,502 Times in 1,507 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mikky Dee View Post
    LOLOLOL. Well, Michael did sing, "you're a vegetable" in WBSS.
    True true

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Just as an addendum to what I already posted, I feel strongly that Michael is a key argument as to why John McClain should be the lead producer of every posthumous album/single moving forward. Not only were his songs respectful to the source material, but they were excellent productions that (in my opinion) exceed the originals in almost every way. "Behind the Mask" is my favorite track on the album production wise, and "Much Too Soon" is far stronger as an orchestrated ballad than a simple acoustic track. (Plus, I believe he was behind the leaked version of "Do You Know Where Your Children Are," which is f***ing phenomenal and the definitive cut of the song so far as I'm concerned.) Not to mention his great work on This Is It and Xscape.

McClain has a knack for taking a track and elevating it while keeping true to its original sound. If the original producers aren't willing or able to come back to finish a track, I firmly believe McClain should be the one and only consideration.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to AlwaysThere For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 191
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,750 Times in 976 Posts

The remixes on Michael actually tried to finish what Michael started which is nice. I have problems with them of course, but when compared to Xscape it's much more respectful.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to SmoothGangsta For This Useful Post:

Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,136 Times in 2,254 Posts

Just as an addendum to what I already posted, I feel strongly that Michael is a key argument as to why John McClain should be the lead producer of every posthumous album/single moving forward. Not only were his songs respectful to the source material, but they were excellent productions that (in my opinion) exceed the originals in almost every way. "Behind the Mask" is my favorite track on the album production wise, and "Much Too Soon" is far stronger as an orchestrated ballad than a simple acoustic track. (Plus, I believe he was behind the leaked version of "Do You Know Where Your Children Are," which is f***ing phenomenal and the definitive cut of the song so far as I'm concerned.) Not to mention his great work on This Is It and Xscape.

McClain has a knack for taking a track and elevating it while keeping true to its original sound. If the original producers aren't willing or able to come back to finish a track, I firmly believe McClain should be the one and only consideration.
    I disagree with you.

His version of Love Never Felt So Good is in my opinion awful, unlistenable while Timbaland version is brilliant. He did decent job on This Is It (I prefer Anka original demo). I'm not a fan of accordion he added to Much Too Soon and live audience from Bucharest he added to Behind The Mask. I love his production on Do You Know Where Your Children Are and I agree that this is the best version of the song - but he basically did exactly what Timbaland did on his version - completely discarded the original music including David Williams guitar and replaced it with Melvin Bliss's "Synthetic Substitution" sample - not very creative and I'm sure MJ would not approve it.