Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 187 USD, Received: 156 USD (84%)
We need your help...Please if you can help us with our cost's it will be hugely appreciated.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Michael Album Appreciation Thread

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,164 Times in 2,154 Posts

Default Re: Michael Album Appreciation Thread

Best Of Joy is my favorite posthumous song. Even though everything that was going on at the time I actually have very fond memories of my buying the album and listening to the songs.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Themidwestcowboy For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 71
    Overall activity: 63.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Agreed. John McCain's work is definitely more authentic. Hopefully he'll do justice to future songs if he does get involved with another project.
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysThere View Post
    Just as an addendum to what I already posted, I feel strongly that Michael is a key argument as to why John McClain should be the lead producer of every posthumous album/single moving forward. Not only were his songs respectful to the source material, but they were excellent productions that (in my opinion) exceed the originals in almost every way. "Behind the Mask" is my favorite track on the album production wise, and "Much Too Soon" is far stronger as an orchestrated ballad than a simple acoustic track. (Plus, I believe he was behind the leaked version of "Do You Know Where Your Children Are," which is f***ing phenomenal and the definitive cut of the song so far as I'm concerned.) Not to mention his great work on This Is It and Xscape.

McClain has a knack for taking a track and elevating it while keeping true to its original sound. If the original producers aren't willing or able to come back to finish a track, I firmly believe McClain should be the one and only consideration.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to AmitLal92 For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 48
    Overall activity: 99.5%
    Achievements:
    31 days registered500 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Themidwestcowboy View Post
    Best Of Joy is my favorite posthumous song. Even though everything that was going on at the time I actually have very fond memories of my buying the album and listening to the songs.
    It's a three-way tie in my mind between "Best of Joy", "Hollywood Tonight", and "Behind the Mask". Neff-U did awesome work on "Best of Joy". It reminds me of "This Is It" where Michael fades out. It would've made a good closing track if it switched places with "Much Too Soon".
    "I am the one who chased the clouds away; I am forever and a day; nothing can hurt you." ~~ Best of Joy

6. The Following User Says Thank You to king_of_style For This Useful Post:

Overall activity: 99.4%
    Achievements:
    Created Blog entryVeteranThree FriendsOverdrive50000 Experience Points

Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,168 Times in 1,772 Posts

'Hollywood' is my favourite - a true to form, big MJ banger. Love it (not the video mix though sheesh!)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dam2040 For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 235
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,603 Times in 756 Posts

Even though my favourite unreleased songs were on Bad 25 and the second disc of Xscape, I'll always appreciate the Michael album. It had some truly brilliant songs, Hollywood Tonight, Best Of Joy and Behind The Mask.

The people that worked on the album cared about it sounding like Mike, and it came through when you listened to the record, even on Monster and Breaking News, the production was knock out by Teddy (shame they weren't Mike)

Aside from the obvious mistake the Estate made with the cascio tracks, the only other mistakes were the single choices. Best Of Joy should have been made more out of because of how special it was and how heartbreaking it was being one of Michael's final recordings, especially coming the back of This Is It.
    Behind Of Mask and Hollywood Tonight should have been made a bigger push, those tracks are incredible and really well produced

I still remember patiently waiting for the album to released, and how excited we were as a fanbase to hear new music and I'll always be thankful for that time, it felt like Michael was still with us, at least in spirit unlike Xscape

10. The Following User Says Thank You to SmoothCriminal1995 For This Useful Post:

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dam2040 View Post
    'Hollywood' is my favourite - a true to form, big MJ banger. Love it (not the video mix though sheesh!)
    I honestly believe that if MJ had lived he would've reworked that song and put it on an album anyway. And I could definitely see him doing a music video for it

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothCriminal1995 View Post
    Even though my favourite unreleased songs were on Bad 25 and the second disc of Xscape, I'll always appreciate the Michael album. It had some truly brilliant songs, Hollywood Tonight, Best Of Joy and Behind The Mask.

The people that worked on the album cared about it sounding like Mike, and it came through when you listened to the record, even on Monster and Breaking News, the production was knock out by Teddy (shame they weren't Mike)

Aside from the obvious mistake the Estate made with the cascio tracks, the only other mistakes were the single choices. Best Of Joy should have been made more out of because of how special it was and how heartbreaking it was being one of Michael's final recordings, especially coming the back of This Is It.
    Behind Of Mask and Hollywood Tonight should have been made a bigger push, those tracks are incredible and really well produced

I still remember patiently waiting for the album to released, and how excited we were as a fanbase to hear new music and I'll always be thankful for that time, it felt like Michael was still with us, at least in spirit unlike Xscape
    I've heard this sort of sentiment before, and I'd agree: Michael does sound like an album that he would've actually put together, like they captured his essence. While I love most of the remixes on Xscape, I'm glad they released the original versions too on the Deluxe Edition. If they were to release another album, I'd hope that it would have the dynamite production of Michael and the original versions included like with Xscape.
    "I am the one who chased the clouds away; I am forever and a day; nothing can hurt you." ~~ Best of Joy

12. The Following User Says Thank You to king_of_style For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 14
    Overall activity: 66.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsOverdriveTagger Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,530 Times in 1,269 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Themidwestcowboy View Post
    Me, too. I was so excited to hear new Michael music and hold the CD in my hands, just as I had done, for all of the previous album releases.
    "Hold My Hand" is just so sublime - I listened to it with wistful tears of sadness, mixed with joy rolling down my cheeks. Same for "Best of Joy".

Achievements:

Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

This thread made me go back to the album now & im currently on Behind the Mask.. it really was much better than most give credit for. It’s such a shame it’ll forever be tainted because I think the 7 songs are very respectfully done.

Also does anyone know why so many songs leaked when it came out? Was it anger towards the Cascio situation?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to dam2040 For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 303
    Overall activity: 66.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dam2040 View Post
    This thread made me go back to the album now & im currently on Behind the Mask.. it really was much better than most give credit for. It’s such a shame it’ll forever be tainted because I think the 7 songs are very respectfully done.

Also does anyone know why so many songs leaked when it came out? Was it anger towards the Cascio situation?
    Actually, they were not songs, but just snippets (of 30 seconds each) of the songs.

That leak was not because of anger towards the Cascio situation, but apparently it was done for promotional purposes (on the part of Sony Music/Estate) in order to hype up the ‘Michael’ album just few days before its official release.

That is perfectly normal and it happens very often in music industry: artists or record companies deliberately leak snippets (teasers) of the songs, or even certain entire songs right before the album’s official release.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to mj_frenzy For This Useful Post:

Achievements:

Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mj_frenzy View Post
    Actually, they were not songs, but just snippets (of 30 seconds each) of the songs.

That leak was not because of anger towards the Cascio situation, but apparently it was done for promotional purposes (on the part of Sony Music/Estate) in order to hype up the ‘Michael’ album just few days before its official release.

That is perfectly normal and it happens very often in music industry: artists or record companies deliberately leak snippets (teasers) of the songs, or even certain entire songs right before the album’s official release.

No, I mean Do You Know Where Your Children Are, Blue Gangsta & Slave to the Rhythm. They all leaked while the album was releasing.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to dam2040 For This Useful Post:

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks

If I'm not mistaken, in the case of "Blue Gangsta", a remix of it was floating around on MySpace in 2006, so both that remix and the one considered for Michael may have been leaked by the same person in 2006 and 2010 respectively.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to king_of_style For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 363
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsOverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,096 Times in 1,913 Posts

I do recall that some of the leaks were fueled by the Cascio situation. I remember seeing somebody post DYKWYCA snippets because of it. But overall, I think it was just a fan reaction to the massive influx of new material. This was the first time since 2004 that we received an album’s worth of new songs at once, so once the outtakes got to the fans it just snowballed.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to AlwaysThere For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 27
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    7 days registered

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pentum View Post
    This is funny. Ironically, most of it is just fabricated from Invincible:

Have a listen:

https://sndup.net/8hqc/d

Even the "you" is copied, but not sourced in the audio. It's most likely the same "you" they used in Black Widow towards the end.

The copied MJ vocals in the cascio tracks are still very interesting for me. Is there a list of all copied MJ vocals or does someone has a link to more audio comparison samples? For example I remember a video where someone compared the "I used to dream" of Earth Song to the "I used to dream" in All Right.

Overall activity: 70.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,895 Times in 1,695 Posts

I just listened to the Michael album again in the car - still feels like a MJ album - songs are great and done with respect for MJ and his vision for the songs.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Ahess/videos - me dancing MJ - many years ago. :)

I would be really glad if you rated or/and commented the videos. Thanks

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Hess For This Useful Post:

Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranTagger Second Class50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,302 Times in 1,120 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mind&magic View Post
    The copied MJ vocals in the cascio tracks are still very interesting for me. Is there a list of all copied MJ vocals or does someone has a link to more audio comparison samples? For example I remember a video where someone compared the "I used to dream" of Earth Song to the "I used to dream" in All Right.
    Correct, "I used to dream" is pasted right into "All right" after "I've got a premonition".

You will not find anything Cascio comparison related stuff online. Angelikson and Sony were hunting all audio like wild dogs back then. Fans have them stored offline I guess.