Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 187 USD, Received: 0 USD (0%)
We need your help...Please if you can help us with our cost's it will be hugely appreciated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Different masterings of Someone Put You Hand Out?

Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 72
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Overdrive1000 Experience Points3 months registered
    Level
    Thanks

Question Different masterings of Someone Put You Hand Out?

For those who have the occasion to compare them, does Someone Put Your Hand Out sound different on the original promo CDs from the early '90s , compared to the version that was released on The Ultimate Collection?

(I am asking because I usually prefer master from before 2000 and, I didn't check them all, but some songs on The Ultimate Collection sound like remasters. I am not asking Some Put Your Hand Out demo ! )

Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 90
    Achievements:
    Overdrive5000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thanks

Default Re: Different masterings of Someone Put You Hand Out?

Mastering of Japanese 3" PEPSI CD is comparable to the original Dangeous album CD.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzball For This Useful Post:

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks

Thanks.

I realised that I have old .wav and .mp3 files (from different sources) of the this song, both sound like they have gone a long way across many tapes before digitization. Not perfect but I used these as comparison, and ... yes for me the Ultimate Collection version is a typical post 2K remaster and I was wondering why when I re-listened to it from the Ultimate Collection, I didn't find it as good as I thought it was back then, before TUC...
    Also just ordered the cheapest 1992 CD I could find (they're not really cheap), so that flaw in my collection should be corrected soon.

Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 59
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,760 Times in 984 Posts

Everything on the ultimate collection is mastered really badly.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SmoothGangsta For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 876
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsOverdriveTagger Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,577 Times in 1,295 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothGangsta View Post
    And just think, that occurred when MJ was alive and he signed off on it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mikky Dee For This Useful Post:

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks

Actually, this happens on many works, many of which artists are still alive today.

The closest related thing I ever heard MJ say was in some long interview he gave to a radio I think when Invincible was released (I would actually like to find back this interview if any one has the link), he said something like "You have to listen to it loud because otherwise you don't hear everything we've done."

I've also heard, I think from the Brud Sundberg interview series that MJ was very technically knowledgeable. However I don't know if that means that he had any real "audiophile" notions... I felt like saying "you have to listen to it loud", was the closest thing he could say to "you have to listen to it on good audio gear with that will provide a good dynamic range, a good frequency response curve and allow to hear clearer instrument separation... etc." ... Or maybe he was aware that this was too audio-geeky to be said on radio and so he just said "loud"...
    But also, that's what most post-2K remasteres are about, getting everything super loud. What bugs me with those is that they often swallow the vocals, and add percussion overdubs in songs that didn't need them.
    Last edited by Maxym; 16-04-2021 at 11:50 AM.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

I recall someone that I find to be quite knowledgeable saying that MJ thought the mastering of the special editions sounded awful after they came out. (It was either those or TUC, can't remember exactly) So I think he probably did know but it wasn't something he necessarily controlled or tried hard enough to control.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Maxym View Post
    Actually, this happens on many works, many of which artists are still alive today.

The closest related thing I ever heard MJ say was in some long interview he gave to a radio I think when Invincible was released (I would actually like to find back this interview if any one has the link), he said something like "You have to listen to it loud because otherwise you don't hear everything we've done."

I've also heard, I think from the Brud Sundberg interview series that MJ was very technically knowledgeable. However I don't know if that means that he had any real "audiophile" notions... I felt like saying "you have to listen to it loud", was the closest thing he could say to "you have to listen to it on good audio gear with that will provide a good dynamic range and allow hear clearer instrument separation... etc." ... Or maybe he was aware that this was too audio-geeky to be said on radio and so he just said "loud"...
    But also, that's what most post-2K remasteres are about, getting everything super loud. What bugs me with those is that they often swallow the vocals, and add percussion overdubs in songs that didn't need them.
    It's kinda funny he said that because when you turn invincible up it makes your ears bleed because of how over compressed it is lol.
    Last edited by SmoothGangsta; 16-04-2021 at 11:12 AM.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks

...but it wasn't something he necessarily controlled or tried hard enough to control.
    I was about to say, yes I think the reason must be something like this something like this yes.
    I guess many artists don't really control the final mastering...

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxym For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 221
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

About Michael Jackson having any real "audiophile" notions or being technically knowledgeable, there is also the fact that he kept demanding that his ‘Invincible’ album should be recorded on Analog, and not on Pro Tools (digital).

Rodney Jerkins spoke about that in one of his interviews:

…I like digital because it's a lot cleaner, but I love the warmth of analog. There's nothing like Neve EQs and analog mixes on vocals and tracks. It makes everything warm and Pro Tools is not able to capture the true essence of analog yet. Sometimes I use both …The last time I used analog was on Michael Jackson in 2000 [‘Invincible’ album]. He was a little scared of Pro Tools. We tried to get him to use it, but he didn't want to go that route yet and I understand: He came from the school of analog. But experimenting with new toys keeps you ahead of the game…” (Rodney Jerkins, Mix On Line)

On October 26th (2001), Michael Jackson stated that the listener should buy the actual CD in order to feel the real punch of the sound of his new album, rather than listening the album over the Internet or small speakers:

…Well, the sound is…sonically, we always try to make sure we have, you know, pristine, detailed, uh, you know, the best sound, the best engineers, the best technicians available ... That’s one of my favorite things, hearing the music really loud. ‘Cause I like to play music loud. I mean, it’s, uh… If you play something over the Internet or small speakers, it doesn’t have the same punch. That’s why you have to buy it. You have to buy that CD to really hear that punch. It makes a huge difference. Huge difference. There’s no comparison. Buying the CD is the best thing…” (Michael Jackson, Online Audio Chat, 2001)

The singer cared a lot about the pristine, detailed sound of his studio albums in general, judging also by the fact that he demanded his ‘HIStory’ album to have the most elaborate and expensive mastering process (the ‘HIStory’ album still these days remains the most expensive album of all time, in terms of mastering costs).

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mj_frenzy For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,218 Times in 2,177 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mj_frenzy View Post
    About Michael Jackson having any real "audiophile" notions or being technically knowledgeable, there is also the fact that he kept demanding that his ‘Invincible’ album should be recorded on Analog, and not on Pro Tools (digital).

Rodney Jerkins spoke about that in one of his interviews:

…I like digital because it's a lot cleaner, but I love the warmth of analog. There's nothing like Neve EQs and analog mixes on vocals and tracks. It makes everything warm and Pro Tools is not able to capture the true essence of analog yet. Sometimes I use both …The last time I used analog was on Michael Jackson in 2000 [‘Invincible’ album]. He was a little scared of Pro Tools. We tried to get him to use it, but he didn't want to go that route yet and I understand: He came from the school of analog. But experimenting with new toys keeps you ahead of the game…” (Rodney Jerkins, Mix On Line)

On October 26th (2001), Michael Jackson stated that the listener should buy the actual CD in order to feel the real punch of the sound of his new album, rather than listening the album over the Internet or small speakers:

…Well, the sound is…sonically, we always try to make sure we have, you know, pristine, detailed, uh, you know, the best sound, the best engineers, the best technicians available ... That’s one of my favorite things, hearing the music really loud. ‘Cause I like to play music loud. I mean, it’s, uh… If you play something over the Internet or small speakers, it doesn’t have the same punch. That’s why you have to buy it. You have to buy that CD to really hear that punch. It makes a huge difference. Huge difference. There’s no comparison. Buying the CD is the best thing…” (Michael Jackson, Online Audio Chat, 2001)

The singer cared a lot about the pristine, detailed sound of his studio albums in general, judging also by the fact that he demanded his ‘HIStory’ album to have the most elaborate and expensive mastering process (the ‘HIStory’ album still these days remains the most expensive album of all time, in terms of mastering costs).
    In my humble opinion HIStory is not only Michaels best sounding album, strictly speaking of the audio, mixing and mastering quality, but that album is one of the best sounding albums i've ever heard. It is mixed so perfectly that you can hear every little single detail on the record even on songs like 2bad and Tabloid Junkie.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks

Just received the promo CD, I can confirm that it sounds much better than what is on The Ultimate Collection.

Question: Do you know how to recognize if it is the 1991 first pressing or the 1992 re-issue? (Discogs is being very vague and even seems to contain errors about it.)

Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 56
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Yeah, that includes Invincible, SE, T25, KOP and TII.

Quote Originally Posted by mj_frenzy View Post
    Buying the CD is the best thing
    Yeah, of course he would say that. He wants to sell copies of his new CD, lol.

I did hear an interview once about setting up the equipment for a live show, saying how you should feel the bass in your chest.

Quote Originally Posted by Themidwestcowboy View Post
    In my humble opinion HIStory is not only Michaels best sounding album, strictly speaking of the audio, mixing and mastering quality, but that album is one of the best sounding albums i've ever heard. It is mixed so perfectly that you can hear every little single detail on the record even on songs like 2bad and Tabloid Junkie.
    Well, there's a Grammy Award for Best Engineered Album.
    Dangerous, Bad and Thriller all won. History was nominated but didn't win. But the gold CD helped.

Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 291
    Overall activity: 45.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsCreated Blog entry5000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

melody is like PYT Demo version

Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 35
    Achievements:
    500 Experience PointsTagger Second Class3 months registered
    Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NuTNC View Post
    melody is like PYT Demo version
    I've noticed that too
    "I am the one who chased the clouds away; I am forever and a day; nothing can hurt you." ~~ Best of Joy

21. The Following User Says Thank You to king_of_style For This Useful Post: