Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 187 USD, Received: 62 USD (33%)
We need your help...Please if you can help us with our cost's it will be hugely appreciated.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 48

Thread: Was American Bandstand 2002 the last time we saw MJ with curls (until TII)?

   
  1. #31
    Points: 11,816, Level: 71
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 234
    Overall activity: 36.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    mj_frenzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    1,784
    Points
    11,816
    Level
    71
    Thanks
    35
    Thanked 856 Times in 497 Posts

    Default Re: Was American Bandstand 2002 the last time we saw MJ with curls (until TII)?

    Quote Originally Posted by dam2040 View Post
    Yes but my point was - some in this thread have said Sony made MJ stop and not use them.

    If that’s the case why are they still all over the album?
    Quote Originally Posted by analogue View Post
    Maybe Michael was afraid that he was becoming a parody of himself, so that's the reason why he cut down on his trademark adlibs on Invincible?
    Some of them remained on the ‘Invincible’ album, but the number of them is drastically reduced and much lower compared to those included on each of his previous studio albums.

    All his trademark adlibs began to sound overused (by the early 2000s, he had been using them for nearly 25 years) and they also began to sound more like gimmicks with no real value on the new songs.

    That is why Sony Music tried to make him tone them down (or even abandon them) for the new songs on the ‘Invincible’ album.

    Technically, Michael Jackson’s trademark adlibs were not even his own trademarks, because he took them from other artists.

    For example, he took the hee hee’s from Stevie Wonder (‘Maybe Your Baby’ song, released in 1972), and he started to use them few years later when he was still the frontman of The Jacksons band.

  2. #32
    Points: 37,014, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 64.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Sweden (Sverige)
    Posts
    5,567
    Points
    37,014
    Level
    100
    Thanks
    6,694
    Thanked 5,199 Times in 2,168 Posts

    Default Re: Was American Bandstand 2002 the last time we saw MJ with curls (until TII)?

    Quote Originally Posted by mj_frenzy View Post
    Some of them remained on the ‘Invincible’ album, but the number of them is drastically reduced and much lower compared to those included on each of his previous studio albums.

    All his trademark adlibs began to sound overused (by the early 2000s, he had been using them for nearly 25 years) and they also began to sound more like gimmicks with no real value on the new songs.

    That is why Sony Music tried to make him tone them down (or even abandon them) for the new songs on the ‘Invincible’ album.

    Technically, Michael Jackson’s trademark adlibs were not even his own trademarks, because he took them from other artists.

    For example, he took the hee hee’s from Stevie Wonder (‘Maybe Your Baby’ song, released in 1972), and he started to use them few years later when he was still the frontman of The Jacksons band.
    They were still his trademark adlibs regardless of where he got it from. Prince's trademark shouts and screams were taken from James Brown and they are still considered one of prince's tradmarks so I don't know where you are going with that last paragraph.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Themidwestcowboy For This Useful Post:


  4. #33
    Points: 7,548, Level: 57
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 2
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    141
    Points
    7,548
    Level
    57
    Thanks
    36
    Thanked 33 Times in 25 Posts

    Default Re: Was American Bandstand 2002 the last time we saw MJ with curls (until TII)?

    i think the reason for less hehes and such is actually him being more vocally aware of himself and not pushing the limits as much because it would either cause damage or would not be sustainable for long,as a singers ages their voice gets darked and lower and after history he would rarely ever go 100 hard as he used to before on songs,and would mostly lean on harmony work rather than belting or going to head voice (hehes hohos and such).
    also most songs after history sit between his lows and mid tones and rarely go high chest and high head(i really can only come up with butterflies for example of high head but other than that theres nothing) which makes me think he was just not comfortable with the hehes hohos as much as he used to be before

  5. #34
    Points: 11,816, Level: 71
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 234
    Overall activity: 36.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    mj_frenzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    1,784
    Points
    11,816
    Level
    71
    Thanks
    35
    Thanked 856 Times in 497 Posts

    Default Re: Was American Bandstand 2002 the last time we saw MJ with curls (until TII)?

    An interesting question is what hairstyle Michael Jackson would have adopted for his ‘This Is It’ shows had he not been pressured by his fans’ requests to wear again his curls.

    The singer seemed to be quite comfortable and very satisfied with his long, straight hair that he was wearing throughout the 2000s.

    He was even happily wearing his long, straight hair while performing on stage in the 2000s (such as, in his ‘We Are The World’ performance at the 2006 World Music Awards).

    This suggests that his plan was to perform his ‘This Is It’ shows without wearing his curls, but with his long, straight hair.

    Quote Originally Posted by Themidwestcowboy View Post
    They were still his trademark adlibs regardless of where he got it from. Prince's trademark shouts and screams were taken from James Brown and they are still considered one of prince's tradmarks so I don't know where you are going with that last paragraph.
    Prince's trademark shouts and screams were apparently taken from James Brown, but Prince used them in a different way by giving to them a mostly high-pitched/falsetto sound.

    So, Prince's trademark shouts and screams are legitimately considered one of Prince’s trademarks.

  6. #35
    Points: 37,014, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 64.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Sweden (Sverige)
    Posts
    5,567
    Points
    37,014
    Level
    100
    Thanks
    6,694
    Thanked 5,199 Times in 2,168 Posts

    Default Re: Was American Bandstand 2002 the last time we saw MJ with curls (until TII)?

    Quote Originally Posted by mj_frenzy View Post
    An interesting question is what hairstyle Michael Jackson would have adopted for his ‘This Is It’ shows had he not been pressured by his fans’ requests to wear again his curls.

    The singer seemed to be quite comfortable and very satisfied with his long, straight hair that he was wearing throughout the 2000s.

    He was even happily wearing his long, straight hair while performing on stage in the 2000s (such as, in his ‘We Are The World’ performance at the 2006 World Music Awards).

    This suggests that his plan was to perform his ‘This Is It’ shows without wearing his curls, but with his long, straight hair.



    Prince's trademark shouts and screams were apparently taken from James Brown, but Prince used them in a different way by giving to them a mostly high-pitched/falsetto sound.

    So, Prince's trademark shouts and screams are legitimately considered one of Prince’s trademarks.
    No that’s not true at all because James brown did all those screams and screeches all throughout his vocal range including falsetto. If you’ve listen to James brown extensively you would have known this. Prince did little to nothing to change that. MJ took
    Those hee-hees and experimented with them using them in a wide variety of ways. The way he sung hee-hee on the way you make me feel differs from Billie Jean and Billie Jean differs from beat it etc and with that he made them his own trademarks.

  7. #36
    Points: 28,642, Level: 99
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 1,358
    Overall activity: 82.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran25000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class
    Galactus123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    4,891
    Points
    28,642
    Level
    99
    Thanks
    2,468
    Thanked 3,021 Times in 1,532 Posts

    Default Re: Was American Bandstand 2002 the last time we saw MJ with curls (until TII)?

    Quote Originally Posted by mj_frenzy View Post
    An interesting question is what hairstyle Michael Jackson would have adopted for his ‘This Is It’ shows had he not been pressured by his fans’ requests to wear again his curls.

    The singer seemed to be quite comfortable and very satisfied with his long, straight hair that he was wearing throughout the 2000s.

    He was even happily wearing his long, straight hair while performing on stage in the 2000s (such as, in his ‘We Are The World’ performance at the 2006 World Music Awards).

    This suggests that his plan was to perform his ‘This Is It’ shows without wearing his curls, but with his long, straight hair.
    I don't think he would have performed with the long straight hair. He would have had it in ponytail at least. That 2006 We are the World wasn't really a proper performance.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Galactus123 For This Useful Post:


  9. #37
    Points: 763, Level: 14
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 37
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience PointsTagger Second Class3 months registered
    king_of_style's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Location
    Ballin' You
    Posts
    193
    Points
    763
    Level
    14
    Thanks
    71
    Thanked 60 Times in 45 Posts

    Default Re: Was American Bandstand 2002 the last time we saw MJ with curls (until TII)?

    Quote Originally Posted by Galactus123 View Post
    I don't think he would have performed with the long straight hair. He would have had it in ponytail at least. That 2006 We are the World wasn't really a proper performance.
    Yeah it was more of a spur-of-the-moment "I've got to get out there, they're calling me" sort of thing. From what I remember, his manager was all ready for everybody to get up and leave but Michael heard the fans chanting for him to come out (since apparently there'd been some hype from people thinking that he might do some comeback performance at the 2006 WMV). If I'm not mistaken, MJ coming back on stage to join that choir was 100% not supposed to happen.
    "I am the one who chased the clouds away; I am forever and a day; nothing can hurt you." ~~ Best of Joy

  10. #38
    Points: 11,816, Level: 71
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 234
    Overall activity: 36.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    mj_frenzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    1,784
    Points
    11,816
    Level
    71
    Thanks
    35
    Thanked 856 Times in 497 Posts

    Default Re: Was American Bandstand 2002 the last time we saw MJ with curls (until TII)?

    Quote Originally Posted by king_of_style View Post
    MJ coming back on stage to join that choir was 100% not supposed to happen.
    Michael Jackson originally agreed to perform ‘Thriller’ and ‘We Are The World’ at the 2006 World Music Awards, but eventually he performed only the latter song.

    It had been announced that he would make a comeback performance at that event.

    Quote Originally Posted by Galactus123 View Post
    I don't think he would have performed with the long straight hair. He would have had it in ponytail at least. That 2006 We are the World wasn't really a proper performance.
    Quote Originally Posted by king_of_style View Post
    Yeah it was more of a spur-of-the-moment "I've got to get out there, they're calling me" sort of thing. From what I remember, his manager was all ready for everybody to get up and leave but Michael heard the fans chanting for him to come out (since apparently there'd been some hype from people thinking that he might do some comeback performance at the 2006 WMV). If I'm not mistaken, MJ coming back on stage to join that choir was 100% not supposed to happen.
    Even if that 2006 ‘We Are The World’ performance was not really a proper performance and it was done in a more of a spur-of-the-moment way, you can check some of his other performances (in the 2000s) where he was again wearing his long, straight hair.

    Like, his ‘Black Or White’ Apollo 2002 performance.

    Or, his performance at the ‘United We Stand: What More Can I Give’ 2001 benefit concert where he was again wearing his long, straight hair.

    It appears that his original plan for his ‘This Is It’ shows was to wear again his favourite long, straight hair for most of the songs, while having them in ponytail for a few certain songs for practical reasons.

  11. #39
    Points: 7,640, Level: 58
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 110
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    96
    Points
    7,640
    Level
    58
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 34 Times in 19 Posts

    Default Re: Was American Bandstand 2002 the last time we saw MJ with curls (until TII)?

    I love MJ , massive fan in fact seen him in Glasgow 1992 and Liverpool 1988 but was too young to really remember the Liverpool concert but he clearly wore a wig from the later 1980s onwards . not hating but it was never his real hair. It was mostly a hairpiece i guess but i think it was due to the burn incident. MJs hair was at its best during the Triumph era ( not his fault i know) but when i saw his TII pics for his rehearsals it just did not suit him any more imo . Neither did the long hair. A shorter wig may have been a bit cooler.

  12. #40
    Points: 7,640, Level: 58
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 110
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    96
    Points
    7,640
    Level
    58
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 34 Times in 19 Posts

    Default Re: Was American Bandstand 2002 the last time we saw MJ with curls (until TII)?

    The 1991 remember the time hair and 2002 hair looked simply rediculous.

  13. #41
    Points: 71,942, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 64.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    South Wales
    Posts
    7,822
    Points
    71,942
    Level
    100
    Thanks
    2,228
    Thanked 8,830 Times in 2,823 Posts

    Default Re: Was American Bandstand 2002 the last time we saw MJ with curls (until TII)?

    Quote Originally Posted by mj_frenzy View Post
    Michael Jackson originally agreed to perform ‘Thriller’ and ‘We Are The World’ at the 2006 World Music Awards, but eventually he performed only the latter song.
    It had been announced that he would make a comeback performance at that event.
    The Thriller performance was just a rumor started by the media. And out of all the songs he could have performed why Thriller of all things? Not saying he wouldn't have done it but a one off performance of Thriller seems really odd considering the fact that he's never done one off performances of that song before.

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to analogue For This Useful Post:


  15. #42
    Points: 763, Level: 14
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 37
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience PointsTagger Second Class3 months registered
    king_of_style's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Location
    Ballin' You
    Posts
    193
    Points
    763
    Level
    14
    Thanks
    71
    Thanked 60 Times in 45 Posts

    Default Re: Was American Bandstand 2002 the last time we saw MJ with curls (until TII)?

    Quote Originally Posted by Andymachine View Post
    I love MJ , massive fan in fact seen him in Glasgow 1992 and Liverpool 1988 but was too young to really remember the Liverpool concert but he clearly wore a wig from the later 1980s onwards . not hating but it was never his real hair. It was mostly a hairpiece i guess but i think it was due to the burn incident. MJs hair was at its best during the Triumph era ( not his fault i know) but when i saw his TII pics for his rehearsals it just did not suit him any more imo . Neither did the long hair. A shorter wig may have been a bit cooler.
    Yeah I actually kinda dig what he had with the shorter style for part of the HIStory era, kinda like in the "Childhood" and "You Are Not Alone" music videos. I think a middle ground between that and the more messy style he went with in 2001-2002 would've been good for This Is It. But still, the curls in TII "Earth Song" were awesome to me
    "I am the one who chased the clouds away; I am forever and a day; nothing can hurt you." ~~ Best of Joy

  16. #43
    Points: 11,816, Level: 71
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 234
    Overall activity: 36.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    mj_frenzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    1,784
    Points
    11,816
    Level
    71
    Thanks
    35
    Thanked 856 Times in 497 Posts

    Default Re: Was American Bandstand 2002 the last time we saw MJ with curls (until TII)?

    Quote Originally Posted by analogue View Post
    The Thriller performance was just a rumor started by the media. And out of all the songs he could have performed why Thriller of all things? Not saying he wouldn't have done it but a one off performance of Thriller seems really odd considering the fact that he's never done one off performances of that song before.
    The ‘Thriller’ performance was not a rumour started by the media, but it had been announced by the organizers of that event.

    According to their announcement, Michael Jackson chose to perform specifically the ‘Thriller’ song because he wanted to give a dramatic feel with his comeback performance, but also because ‘Thriller’ was one of his classic songs.

    Here is what organizers stated about his ‘Thriller’ comeback performance:

    …Yes, it’s his first performance in a long time … It’s something of a comeback if you like…” (Outside Organization, a London-based public relations company that publicized the 2006 World Music Awards)

    Michael Jackson chose to perform at that event the ‘Thriller’ song also for boosting sales of his upcoming ‘Thriller 25’ anniversary album.

  17. #44
    Points: 6,158, Level: 51
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 192
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    742
    Points
    6,158
    Level
    51
    Thanks
    347
    Thanked 678 Times in 305 Posts

    Default Re: Was American Bandstand 2002 the last time we saw MJ with curls (until TII)?

    Quote Originally Posted by mj_frenzy View Post
    According to their announcement, Michael Jackson chose to perform specifically the ‘Thriller’ song because he wanted to give a dramatic feel with his comeback performance, but also because ‘Thriller’ was one of his classic songs.

    Here is what organizers stated about his ‘Thriller’ comeback performance:

    …Yes, it’s his first performance in a long time … It’s something of a comeback if you like…” (Outside Organization, a London-based public relations company that publicized the 2006 World Music Awards)
    If him standing still for a few minutes or walking around on stage receives a "dramatic" reaction from the audience, I'm pretty sure no one needs to be concerned about a "dramatic feel" when it comes to one of his performances. He could have performed a gentle song like Heal the World, or even the classic Billie Jean, any song off his discography, and the audience would still be engrossed. A "comeback" performance of Billie Jean would just make more sense, considering that one performance of the song to have been witnessed by a larger audience than any of his "Thriller" performances, unless we're talking about the Thriller music video, then that's quite possibly a match-up. But then again, more probably recognized him for that one dance move of gliding across the ground than the Thriller music video, just saying. No disfavor of the Thriller music video by the way, no disrespect to it

  18. #45
    Points: 64,232, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.5%
    Achievements:
    Created Blog entryVeteranThree FriendsOverdrive50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    england
    Posts
    5,347
    Points
    64,232
    Level
    100
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    2,901
    Thanked 4,191 Times in 1,788 Posts

    Default Re: Was American Bandstand 2002 the last time we saw MJ with curls (until TII)?

    MJ chose to do Thriller to promote an album no one knew was coming (doubt even MJ knew about it) 2 years later?

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •