Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 187 USD, Received: 156 USD (84%)
We need your help...Please if you can help us with our cost's it will be hugely appreciated.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Was American Bandstand 2002 the last time we saw MJ with curls (until TII)?

Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 17
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Default Was American Bandstand 2002 the last time we saw MJ with curls (until TII)?

was this the last appearance of michael where he wear his curls like this at american bandstand 2002?
    30.01.2006 - My personal MJ-DAY! Thank you, Michael!

Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 83
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran25000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,015 Times in 1,528 Posts

Default Re: was American Bandstand 2002 the last time we saw MJ with curls (until TII)?

I'm not sure what was the last time but he had them at Apollo theather later that year:
    A Film Release Of Michael Jacksons Bad Tour 1988/89 Petition. Please sign so we can get Bad Tour in HD:

https://www.change.org/p/the-michael...d-tour-1988-89

#MJBadTourHD

Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 123
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thanks

Default Re: was American Bandstand 2002 the last time we saw MJ with curls (until TII)?

Apollo shows were after American Bandstand I believe. The American Bandstand special was broadcast after the Apollo concert but that’s because it was on tape delay.

The 2002 curls have nothing on the Bad > HIStory curls and even the This Is It curls. I wish he never abandoned that look in the early 2000s.

I heard that he wore curls for the 2001 MSG show rehearsals before changing his hairstyle to the straight hair wig we saw; I hope we get to see footage of that in the Hamid Moslehi documentary he is supposedly making.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Snek For This Useful Post:

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

i really would like to know when we sa him with his old hairstyle the last time in 2002/03

Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 277
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,754 Times in 511 Posts

AB was on April 20th and Apollo on April 24th. The last photos I have with him wearing that curl-ish look is from mid-June 2002 when he was in London and Exeter, UK. Early July photos show him with that new hairstyle (Sony demo in New York City and other events in this time frame).

July 14, 2002 (Exeter football ground)

Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 52
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Snek View Post
    Apollo shows were after American Bandstand I believe. The American Bandstand special was broadcast after the Apollo concert but that’s because it was on tape delay.

The 2002 curls have nothing on the Bad > HIStory curls and even the This Is It curls. I wish he never abandoned that look in the early 2000s.

I heard that he wore curls for the 2001 MSG show rehearsals before changing his hairstyle to the straight hair wig we saw; I hope we get to see footage of that in the Hamid Moslehi documentary he is supposedly making.
    Wait hold up... this is my 1st time hearing of this doc!! I need some details!

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

there doesnt seem to be a clean cut from curly to non-curly. he had straight hair in 2001 in NYC already:

But then in 2002 he had curls again at the Sony demos in London and NYC.

Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 123
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wonderouzmj View Post
    Wait hold up... this is my 1st time hearing of this doc!! I need some details!

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk
    Nothing concrete yet, but here’s hoping.

https://twitter.com/zigmanfreud/stat...238041602?s=21

Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 101
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

i always wondered why he ditched the dangerous era curls look where it was kind of an undercut in the side and the hair wasn't as thick as a whole,it was PERFECT

Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 142
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranTagger Second Class5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Default Re: Was American Bandstand 2002 the last time we saw MJ with curls (until TII)?

Quote Originally Posted by Glanni View Post

was this the last appearance of michael where he wear his curls like this at american bandstand 2002?
    Also, if I'm not mistaken, this report features footage from the other yet-unseen performance of Dangerous (0:11-0:25)
    since he did perform the song twice for American Bandstand's 50th Anniversary 'cause he was not satisfied with the first performance.

Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 296
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Snek View Post
    That is not true because there are photos that show him rehearsing with his straight, short hairstyle and without wearing curls.

This suggests that he did not consider wearing curls for the two 2001 MSG shows.

Besides, at that time, Sony Music hired a team of designers and fashion experts with the mission of refreshing the singer’s image, while abandoning some of his old, stylistic trademarks and relics.

Sony Music wanted to present for the new millennium a new Michael Jackson, meaning that his curls (as one of his old, stylistic trademarks) had to be abandoned.

Even if he shot more music videos from his newly-released ‘Invincible’ album, he would not have worn his curls in those music videos (in order to comply with Sony Music’s orders at that time).

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 70.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,896 Times in 1,695 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mj_frenzy View Post
    That is not true because there are photos that show him rehearsing with his straight, short hairstyle and without wearing curls.

This suggests that he did not consider wearing curls for the two 2001 MSG shows.

Besides, at that time, Sony Music hired a team of designers and fashion experts with the mission of refreshing the singer’s image, while abandoning some of his old, stylistic trademarks and relics.

Sony Music wanted to present for the new millennium a new Michael Jackson, meaning that his curls (as one of his old, stylistic trademarks) had to be abandoned.

Even if he shot more music videos from his newly-released ‘Invincible’ album, he would not have worn his curls in those music videos (in order to comply with Sony Music’s orders at that time)
    We don't really know that... - It's true they wanted to re-fresh his image (at least I've heard that before)

BUT - I really don't think MJ waqs the kind of person anyone said NO to og dictated to what he had to do. I have a feeling MJ was always in charge of things regarding his art - be it songs, albums, concerts, musicvideos etc. - I think MJ was in control and had the last say always.

If MJ had really wanted curld in 2001 I doubt SONY could have done anything about it.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Ahess/videos - me dancing MJ - many years ago. :)

I would be really glad if you rated or/and commented the videos. Thanks

Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    Created Blog entryVeteranThree FriendsOverdrive50000 Experience Points

Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,168 Times in 1,772 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hess View Post
    We don't really know that... - It's true they wanted to re-fresh his image (at least I've heard that before)

BUT - I really don't think MJ waqs the kind of person anyone said NO to og dictated to what he had to do. I have a feeling MJ was always in charge of things regarding his art - be it songs, albums, concerts, musicvideos etc. - I think MJ was in control and had the last say always.

If MJ had really wanted curld in 2001 I doubt SONY could have done anything about it.
    YRMW wasn't his first choice Invincible single.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to dam2040 For This Useful Post:

Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,164 Times in 2,154 Posts

I think there is some level of truth to this because I remember Rodney Jerkins talking about how he made, or wanted to make, MJ stop using his signature adlibs and kinda revamp himself for the new millennium.

Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 296
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

That is not true because in many artistic decisions Michael Jackson unwillingly did what others told him to do, for example:

Michael Jackson did not want to release the ‘Thriller’ song as a single with a music video, but Frank DiLeo persuaded him to do that.

Michael Jackson wanted to release a three-disc ‘BAD’ album, but Quincy Jones persuaded him to release just one disc of that album because that would make it sell easier.

Michael Jackson wanted ‘Streetwalker’ on the ‘BAD’ album (in the place of ‘Another Part Of Me’), but they persuaded him to include the latter eventually.

Michael Jackson wanted to use as a cover of his ‘BAD’ album the photo of his face with a lace, but Walter Yetnikoff (the then-president of CBS Records) rejected his idea and he persuaded the singer to use the one with the ‘BAD’ leather outfit which became the official cover of the album.

Michael Jackson did not want to include remixed version of his songs on his ‘Blood On The Dance Floor’ album, but Sony Music forced him to do that.

Michael Jackson wanted to release a three-disc ‘HIStory’ album (one disc of his old hits plus two discs of brand new songs), but Sony Music rejected his idea.

Michael Jackson wanted the gold, original ‘Invincible’ album cover (that was inspired by Albert Watson's Golden Boy photo), but Sony Music again rejected his idea.

Michael Jackson wanted to release ‘Unbreakable’ as the first single (from the ‘Invincible’ album) with a grandiose accompanied music video, but Sony Music again rejected his idea.

Sony Music forced him also to minimize the use of his hee's and hoo's in his new songs (on the ‘Invincible’ album), and as a result the singer used very few of them on that album.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to mj_frenzy For This Useful Post: