From what year is the mix of Monkey Business that ended up on The Ultimate Collection?

Themidwestcowboy

Proud Member
I was surfing through youtube and came across a 2 low quality snippets supposedly the demo for Monkey Business and it sounds quite amazing! Much more funkier and grittier than the one that ended up on TUC. The same thing goes for Streetwalker. The ones we've heard from Brad's seminars are much, much better than the one that came out on TUC.

So my question is, when was that mix made of monkey business that ended up on TUC?

Snippet 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wGDDhFNOvM

Snippet 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mwLYHkqQbw

What makes you think this is fake? This sounds like it comes from one of brads seminars.

In my opinion, this sounds nothing like a Brad recording but more like a fanmade edit which has been compressed to 16kbps.

Last edited:
The dude's youtube channel is full of fanmade stuff

Betting fake, notice how supressed the low quality sound is, done on purpose

It's not the early 2000s anymore where recordings of something actually sounds like this

Yeah, it's just someone trying hard to make it sound like it was recorded in a room. Didn't really work though.

This is definitely not from Brad's seminar, if it was such a low quality recording there wouldve been obvious reverb or distortion, not insane compression. This is just a mimic of the LQ seminar leaks from ages ago.

Yeah you guys are probably right. After looking at his YouTube account I can see that most of his videos are fake songs. But is monkey business on TUC the mix that was made in the early 90s or is this a newer mix? Anyone have any info on this?

Totally agree the versions of Streetwalker we've heard from Brad's seminars are better than the TUC version.
I could be wrong here but I thought the versions on TUC were the most recent mixes of the tracks. Like Streetwalker was from 1988 I believe, supposedly it was the template for what became Dangerous.
Although I think Cheater sounds like a version done about 1986ish

I love Monkey Business but the version we have doesn't seem as funky to me, compared with the leaked versions of Work That Body and Serious Effect. Feels almost too polished

It actually really took me a long time to appreciate Monkey Business - I thought it was so weird and bad for many years.

Now I actually enjoy it a lot - his low voice in the beginning, almost speaking, and the chorus.

Totally agree the versions of Streetwalker we've heard from Brad's seminars are better than the TUC version.
I could be wrong here but I thought the versions on TUC were the most recent mixes of the tracks. Like Streetwalker was from 1988 I believe, supposedly it was the template for what became Dangerous.
Although I think Cheater sounds like a version done about 1986ish

I love Monkey Business but the version we have doesn't seem as funky to me, compared with the leaked versions of Work That Body and Serious Effect. Feels almost too polished

Spot on brother! Compared to the other funky cuts from that era like She Got It, Monkey bussiness seems kinda tamed.

It actually really took me a long time to appreciate Monkey Business - I thought it was so weird and bad for many years.

Now I actually enjoy it a lot - his low voice in the beginning, almost speaking, and the chorus.

To be honest, still to this day I don't truly understand Monkey Business lol. I don't know what he was going for with this one but I do appreciate his vocal performance, especially towards the end.

SmoothCriminal1995;4321966 said:

Themidwestcowboy;4322072 said:
Spot on brother! Compared to the other funky cuts from that era like She Got It, Monkey bussiness seems kinda tamed.

According to Bill Bottrell, the released version of MB isn't a final mix.

Michael never told me why “Monkey Business” didn’t make the record. It had been in the top four priorities as the album came together. It was an adventurously odd thing, sometimes Beatlesque, other times bluesy and dark, and Michael loved the Beatles, but there was an obscure story here. The music and production were quite far along when Michael finally came to me with his lyrics.

“Billy,you know those people who want something for nothing?” (now he’s singing and snapping fingers)

“Your brother’s got kids with your mother-in-law

I might drop dead about what I saw

(Oh lord!)

I caught your mother she was doing the do

You can’t lie cause I was looking right at you

(oh Lord!)

Stop it

It’s too much!

Monkey Business going down”

And then in the bridge:

“I read the paper

And I can’t believe what’s going round

Somebody’s doing it to

Somebody’s up, somebody’s down

The government won’t pay my taxes

And I’m really mad

My mouth might let it free

So don’t you monkey shine with me!”

[Chorus]

In a few different sessions, we worked on the vocals. I always wondered who had been the lowly sexual grifters in the song, mothers and sons and what have you. It was not my job to ask Michael these things, as a songwriter of his status certainly can tell which stories he wants to tell, if and when he wants to tell them. So I only have his clear statement: “Billy, you know those people who want something for nothing?”

I got Greg Phillinganes in to Westlake studios to lay down a funky wurlitzer, and Jim Horn, the Beatles sax player, to layer some saxes. George Del Barrio’s string arrangement only entered a couple of times, but it evoked the sense of the story with an edgy riff. A lot of love and attention went into that recording. It never occurred to me that it might be left off the Dangerous album.

“Monkey Business” was eventually released without a final mix, on a rarities record, but without Michael to tell his back-story, it has gone unnoticed.

https://medium.com/@billbottrell/monkey-business-432cd980057e

Monkey Business might just be the worst MJ song that I have heard. It’s so cringe with all those monkey sounds.

Nite Line;4322113 said:
Monkey Business might just be the worst MJ song that I have heard. It’s so cringe with all those monkey sounds.

Makes me wonder if he recycled the monkey sounds idea for the opening of "Tabloid Junkie"

Nite Line;4322113 said:

No way..... It is one of the best outtakes... The vocal delivery is just... wow... And I absolutely love the monkey sounds :D

No way..... It is one of the best outtakes... The vocal delivery is just... wow... And I absolutely love the monkey sounds :D

Vocal delivery is possibly the only saving grace of Monkey Business.

I love this song, always have. I for one don't mind the monkey sounds. :smilev6:

Don't know why, but the monkey sounds kind of make the song sound old. I don't know how a monkey sound can do that - but the song has not aged well IMO.

Many of MJ's songs are timeless - but not MB. It could be a great song I guess with a new production and removal of the monkey sounds.

Back