Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 187 USD, Received: 62 USD (33%)
We need your help...Please if you can help us with our cost's it will be hugely appreciated.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Artistic Decisions in Michael Jackson's Career That Are Questionable

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,502 Times in 1,507 Posts

Default Re: Artistic decisions in Michael Jackson’s career that can be considered wrong or bad

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothCriminal1995 View Post
    Hahaha I couldn't stop laughing at the sand comment mate

A lot of the points are subjective, for instance I love the RTT videos it's one of my favourite short films, the fact that it's ancient Egypt and it has an all black cast is beautifully subtle as well

I do agree Liberian Girl should have had a better music video, I get a kick out of it but the fact they spend most of the song talking over it annoys me.
    Mike should have done a video on a beach somewhere, with him and a beautiful black actress and have him performing it to her as his love interest (although I imagine MJ would have been too shy for that) I believe a stronger video may have made this incredible song even more recognised by the ge t

I totally agree with this!

Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 37
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience PointsTagger Second Class3 months registered
    Level
    Thanks

Default Re: Artistic decisions in Michael Jackson’s career that can be considered wrong or bad

Quote Originally Posted by mj_frenzy View Post
    The nearly one minute long and pointless ‘Black Or White’ spoken intro that has no connection at all with the song, and thus it sounds totally out of place.
    Yeah I agree with this, I get that it was Mac having fun but I think this is my least favorite part of the music video.

His HIStory Statue floating down the Thames River (London), a move that was understandably viewed by people/media as haughty and egotistical.
    I think this is on par with the "hyperbaric chamber" story where Michael basically shot himself in the foot when it came to giving the tabloids more gossip to talk about.

His old hits from the ‘HIStory’ album (disc one) that are not placed in chronological order.
    I'm gonna be honest, this gets me too. Especially for an album called HIStory, it's weird that they're not in chronological order.

Michael Jackson uttering ‘Slash’ right before the guitar solo in the ‘Privacy’ song (Slash himself confirmed that he did not play guitar on that song).
    I always thought he says "Slide!" like you'd put something up against the strings to make the long drawn-out 'screaming' noises during the guitar solo.

So, for symbolic reasons, he decided to include his cover version of the ‘Come Together’ song in the album’s second disc and specifically in the middle of that track list in order to denote that joint venture.

Besides, the mellifluous ‘On The Line’ song could not have fitted the aggressive and angry overall tone of the ‘HIStory’ album (hence its exclusion from the second disc).
    This is another one I agree with. I don't think "On The Line" should've been put on in place of "Come Together", if anything, it should've been put on in place of "Childhood". But that's an argument for another thread.
    "I am the one who chased the clouds away; I am forever and a day; nothing can hurt you." ~~ Best of Joy

Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 13
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    Overdrive1000 Experience Points3 months registered
    Level
    Thanks

The song "D.S.". I don't think such a personal revenge song ever was a great idea.

Also, all the 2008 versions on Thriller 25.

Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 37
    Achievements:
    500 Experience PointsTagger Second Class3 months registered
    Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Maxym View Post
    The song "D.S.". I don't think such a personal revenge song ever was a great idea.

Also, all the 2008 versions on Thriller 25.
    I'd agree. I mean Sneddon may have had a vendetta against him but there was no need for the song to be so directed at him. I mean the dude was a DA, he had a job to do regardless of who he was supposed to investigate. Michael could've easily rewritten the song to not be so personal
    "I am the one who chased the clouds away; I am forever and a day; nothing can hurt you." ~~ Best of Joy

Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 938
    Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsOverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,136 Times in 1,935 Posts

In fairness, Sneddon was unnecessarily aggressive and ruthless, both in 1993 and in 2005. He has a history of being unnecessarily crude and crossing lines in cases he had to oversee. That’s why Michael never wrote a song about District Attorney Gil Garcetti — HE was just doing his job. Sneddon made it a mission to make Michael’s life hell.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AlwaysThere For This Useful Post:

Overall activity: 99.3%
    Achievements:
    Created Blog entryVeteranThree FriendsOverdrive50000 Experience Points

Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,195 Times in 1,790 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysThere View Post
    In fairness, Sneddon was unnecessarily aggressive and ruthless, both in 1993 and in 2005. He has a history of being unnecessarily crude and crossing lines in cases he had to oversee. That’s why Michael never wrote a song about District Attorney Gil Garcetti — HE was just doing his job. Sneddon made it a mission to make Michael’s life hell.
    Sneddon was an absolute scum bag. Letting his own team get away with child molestation because he didn’t feel like charging them & meeting with POI in the MJ cases on his own in car parks. Disgusting.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dam2040 For This Useful Post:

Overall activity: 45.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,830 Times in 2,823 Posts

I'd say Michael was too nice to Sneddon on D.S.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to analogue For This Useful Post:

Overall activity: 99.5%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,907 Times in 1,701 Posts

MJ should have taken more chances - mixed up his concerts more. Performed different songs once in a while.

It's weird how he was a true innovator - and still so conservative. His concerts would have been so much more interesting if it wasn't all the same.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Ahess/videos - me dancing MJ - many years ago. :)

I would be really glad if you rated or/and commented the videos. Thanks

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hess For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 136
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

Some more:

Michael Jackson’s decision to star in one of the worst films of all time (‘The Wiz’), a role which was also generally his biggest failure by that time.

The removal of these additional few lines from the second verse of the ‘Smooth Criminal’ song (without these lines the song feels incomplete).

The casual, yellow-red jacket (with the ‘M’ letter on it) that he wore during the ‘Thriller’ performance in certain BAD Tour concerts.

His violent behaviour (smashing windows, destroying a car, etc) during the ‘black panther’ segment of his ‘Black Or White’ music video.

The gun shot at the end of the ‘D.S.’ song (which clearly implied a death wish).

Bringing an entire tank on stage for his ‘Earth Song’ performance (HIStory Tour).

All these sound effects, which were taken from arcade video games, in his ‘Heartbreaker’ song (from 03:48 onwards).

The replacement of ‘Shout’ with the yawn-inducing ‘You Are My Life’ song (on the ‘Invincible’ album), which was not only a bad decision but also an inexplicable decision as well.

Quote Originally Posted by king_of_style View Post
    In general I think an amazing choice for Michael would've been to include "We've Had Enough" instead of "Cry" on the Invincible album. "We've Had Enough" has a much stronger message and in my mind has way more punch to its instrumentals. Especially in the wake of the September 11th attacks in the U.S., "We've Had Enough" would've been a much more timely and well-heard message than "Cry". "Cry" has the feel of "You Are Not Alone" when the moment really called for another "Earth Song". I think that had MJ released "We've Had Enough" on Invincible it would've become a #1 hit in many countries. Obviously if he had included "We've Had Enough" he would have to either change the ending of or swap out "Privacy" (since that song takes its outro directly from "We've Had Enough").
    The record company insisted on including ‘Cry’, and actually that song was one of the very first songs which was finished for the album.

‘Cry’ appeared to have big chart and commercial potential because R. Kelly was a guaranteed hit-maker at the time given some of his big hits that he wrote, such as ‘You Are Not Alone’ (1995), ‘I Believe I Can Fly’ (1996), ‘I'm Your Angel’ (1998).

It goes without saying that leaving out ‘We've Had Enough’ from the album was another bad decision.

Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 174
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Sticking to a 3 year old setlist for the first leg of Bad World Tour. It didn't even make sense to perform that amount of Jacksons songs since he was going on a solo tour and had already released a few albums alone.

Standing still for 3 minutes at the Superbowl performance. In a concert when you have approx. 2 hours to perform it's okay but when you've only got 12 minutes you better make better use of that time.

Lipsyncing to more than 10 year old vocals at HWT. He could have recorded some new vocals on studio if he wanted to lipsync.

Not including Someone Put Your Hand Out in Dangerous. That's one of his finest works and I'd say it's obvious single material.

Not performing Thriller at Victory Tour. Honestly there's no excuse for this, it was a major global hit at the time.

Always doing the exact same choreography for some songs. For instance, WBSS had been performed the exact same way in 84, 87, 88, 92 and 96. He could've changed up a bit. Being repetitive on tour has already been noted by others on this thread anyway.

Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 72
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ekans View Post
    Standing still for 3 minutes at the Superbowl performance. In a concert when you have approx. 2 hours to perform it's okay but when you've only got 12 minutes you better make better use of that time.
    I think that's one of the coolest things he ever did. Because you need some balls to do that. Standing in front of one of the biggest audiences you can get (in the stadium and on tv), knowing that those people didn't come to that stadium or tune in on the tv to see you (these people mostly aren't fans), it takes an enormous amount of courage to jump on the stage and do nothing for 90 seconds. He dared to be that vulnerable – he dared to take that risk. And it worked. People in the satdium go crazy, and to this day critics describe Michael's performance as 're-defining' the Superbowl half time show. Now that's showmanship! I admire him a lot for it.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Piek For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 72
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thanks

All these sound effects, which were taken from arcade video games, in his ‘Heartbreaker’ song (from 03:48 onwards).
    O! I never knew those sounds were taken from arcade video games. That makes me appreciate the song a bit more, to be honest!

Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 136
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

A few more:

The decision to speed up the ‘Dirty Diana’ song (rock songs should not be sped up).

Ending the first 2 songs on the ‘Dangerous’ album in the same way (with the sound of an explosion).

The first 15 seconds of the ‘Can't Let Her Get Away’ song (that serve no artistic purpose at all).

The minimal, candid interaction between Michael Jackson and his band during the HIStory Tour.

The decision to sing live these few lines of ‘In The Closet’, while lip-syncing the rest of the song (this made even more obvious and embarrassing his lip-syncing on the song).

Lipsyncing to more than 10 year old vocals at HWT. He could have recorded some new vocals on studio if he wanted to lipsync.
    Especially, lip-syncing ‘Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough’ with this falsetto, studio singing voice that had been recorded nearly 15 years before the HIStory Tour.

Apparently, he realized that and he removed that song from the most part of the 1997 HIStory Tour leg.

Not performing Thriller at Victory Tour. Honestly there's no excuse for this, it was a major global hit at the time.
    Michael Jackson was still a devoted Jehovah's Witness at the time of the Victory Tour (1984), so this did not allow him to perform his ‘Thriller’ song in that tour.

As soon as he disassociated himself from that religion, he was free to perform ‘Thriller’ (which he did from the BAD Tour onwards).

Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger First ClassVeteranOverdrive50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,718 Times in 1,137 Posts

Ending the first 2 songs on the ‘Dangerous’ album in the same way (with the sound of an explosion).
    4 of the 8 songs on James Brown's Payback album end the same way, with a "woooooo" sound.

Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 214
    Overall activity: 99.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,622 Times in 771 Posts

Sticking to a 3 year old setlist for the first leg of Bad World Tour. It didn't even make sense to perform that amount of Jacksons songs since he was going on a solo tour and had already released a few albums alone
    I see why it annoys people but (controversial opinion) I love it!! Yokohama and Tokyo are two of my favourite concerts. I truly believe Mike improved on the Victory Tour with the 87 leg of the tour. His vocals, dancing, staging and Band were all better than with his brothers. I'd take any 87 show over any Victory show

21. The Following User Says Thank You to SmoothCriminal1995 For This Useful Post: