Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 187 USD, Received: 62 USD (33%)
We need your help...Please if you can help us with our cost's it will be hugely appreciated.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Artistic Decisions in Michael Jackson's Career That Are Questionable

Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 263
    Overall activity: 99.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

Default Re: Artistic Decisions in Michael Jackson's Career That Are Questionable

Quote Originally Posted by Jackson Rules View Post
    The Off The Wall medley in the HIStory Tour...
    Playback is already a let down, but doing it using the same vocals from when he was 20 years younger is too much.
    He could have at least re-record them with his adult voice.
    What exactly do you mean with "his adult voice"? He was 21 when he made otw, that was his adult voice??

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.5%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,198 Times in 2,167 Posts

Default Re: Artistic Decisions in Michael Jackson's Career That Are Questionable

Quote Originally Posted by Michaels Lover View Post
    What exactly do you mean with "his adult voice"? He was 21 when he made otw, that was his adult voice??
    I think what he really means is his mature/older voice.

Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Overall activity: 99.4%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsOverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,134 Times in 1,933 Posts

The only album after thriller that has a duet is bad...
    HIStory too!

Quote Originally Posted by AdamBa17 View Post
    You could say the same for his music too. The "code" for his albums was to stick to the Thriller formula once he realized it worked; a mix of upbeat dance tracks, one rock number to help crossover with that crowd, a duet, a "social statement" song etc
    Also true. What helped alleviate that, though, was how the songs were always sonically and musically adventurous. No two albums feel or sound the same, even if on paper there’s a lot of similarities context wise.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AlwaysThere For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Overall activity: 36.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

not doing prerecorded songs for his live shows and just letting the original playback play

Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 274
    Overall activity: 55.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

Some more:

His excessive make-up on the cover of his ‘BAD’ album while wearing the black, leather outfit.

The reason is that so much make-up makes him look too glossy and shiny, which does not match with his bad, tough and street image of the ‘BAD’ album and era.

His excessive make-up in the prison version of his ‘They Don't Care About Us’ music video.

The reason is that so much make-up makes him again look too glossy and shiny, which does not match with the prison concept of that music video where being in the role of a prisoner inside a prison he should have appeared without wearing any make-up at all.

The concept of his ‘Man In The Mirror’ music video in which the singer does not appear at all (with the exception of few seconds towards the end), and as result that music video has fallen into obscurity.

The Moonwalker version of the ‘Man In The Mirror’ music video would have been a far better choice as the official version of that music video.

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysThere View Post
    Also true. What helped alleviate that, though, was how the songs were always sonically and musically adventurous. No two albums feel or sound the same, even if on paper there’s a lot of similarities context wise.
    This does not apply to his ‘Invincible’ album which it sounds and feels overly rehashed with that overused formula.

Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 37
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience PointsTagger Second Class3 months registered
    Level
    Thanks

Yeah, I don't actually know if Michael's voice deepened all that much between Off The Wall and HIStory. I think he just started singing with more of his range than before. Like you can get glimpses of a deeper more "throaty" singing voice in songs like "You Can't Win" and in the backing vocals for "I Can't Help It". I think he just sang in that higher register because he was used to doing it and figured he would go with what worked.

EDIT: You'll notice too that in rehearsal footage he'd be singing songs that are low to medium range in a softer, higher voice, more like Off The Wall and Thriller era. There's even rumors that during one "Earth Song" performance he sang the entire "What about us?" section in a higher voice but the playback covered it up.
    "I am the one who chased the clouds away; I am forever and a day; nothing can hurt you." ~~ Best of Joy

Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,830 Times in 2,823 Posts

I feel like more of Smooth Criminal could have been sung live and not just the very ending. I think all of the ''You've been hit by'' parts could have been live and the ''I don't know/dad gone it'' adlibs too.

Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 346
    Overall activity: 64.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smooth72 View Post
    Lip sinking during live performances absolutely drives me bonkers. Change the performances so you can sing it live or at least most of it live. Trying to preform the music video’s basically on stage was asking too much. I would have preferred he sing live an minimize the dancing.
    I'm watching Victory Tour Toronto right now after just watching Bad live at Wembley - it's insane how much less Michael dances on the Victory Tour. The singing seems to be the main focus, the moves second. There are still a decent amount of moves, but way less than the following tours. And because they're less frequent I feel like they're sharper and more powerful.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by analogue View Post
    I feel like more of Smooth Criminal could have been sung live and not just the very ending. I think all of the ''You've been hit by'' parts could have been live and the ''I don't know/dad gone it'' adlibs too.
    I disagree with this sentiment. I have yet to hear a Smooth Criminal that was sung fully live that sounds good. The verses are almost unintelligible and too breathy. Going by MSG and Hartford amature audio I think he did the right thing to lip sync that song.

Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 317
    Overall activity: 99.1%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,621 Times in 770 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Themidwestcowboy View Post
    I disagree with this sentiment. I have yet to hear a Smooth Criminal that was sung fully live that sounds good. The verses are almost unintelligible and too breathy. Going by MSG and Hartford amature audio I think he did the right thing to lip sync that song.
    Yep completely agree mate as much as I love MJ singing live, it was understandable him lip syncing Smooth Criminal.
    Although I must admit, I always get a kick out of hearing MJ sing the full second verse lyrics when he did it live
    So they came into the outway
    It was Sunday, what a black day
    Every time I tried to find him
    There were no clues, they’re behind him
    And they end up never knowing
    Who’s the suspect or what to expect

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

I never said Smooth Criminal could have been sung fully live. I said that parts of Smooth Criminal could have been sung live. Just the the '''You've been hit by'' and the I don't know/Dad gone it'' parts of the song. Not the entire thing. And Michael did the ''Dad gone it'' parts on the BAD Tour and that sounded great. And the ''You've been hit by'' parts at Madison Square Garden 1988 sounded great too.

Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 317
    Overall activity: 99.1%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,621 Times in 770 Posts

I never said Smooth Criminal could have been sung fully live. I said that parts of Smooth Criminal could have been sung live. Just the the '''You've been hit by'' and the I don't know/Dad gone it'' parts of the song. Not the entire thing. And Michael did the ''Dad gone it'' parts on the BAD Tour and that sounded great. And the ''You've been hit by'' parts at Madison Square Garden 1988 sounded great too.
    Sorry my friend I misunderstood, you know what I think you're right. Is it my imagination or doesn't Mike sing some of the Annie are you okay's on the Wembley show, as well as the mic coming on earlier for the adlibs? I haven't seen it in a whole but I can't remember

I do think he could have sung much more of the track on the Dangerous Tour but admittedly it sounds fantastic anyway

14. The Following User Says Thank You to SmoothCriminal1995 For This Useful Post:

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

I noticed that the backing vocalist can be heard a lot clearer for Smooth Criminal at Wembley 1988.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Oh yeah I misread it man sorry! I think the Bad Tour was the best combination of Lip synch and live vocals for Smooth Criminal

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Themidwestcowboy For This Useful Post:

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AdamBa17 View Post
    I'm watching Victory Tour Toronto right now after just watching Bad live at Wembley - it's insane how much less Michael dances on the Victory Tour. The singing seems to be the main focus, the moves second. There are still a decent amount of moves, but way less than the following tours. And because they're less frequent I feel like they're sharper and more powerful.
    I've always said that MJ sacrificed his live vocals for dancing and movement and in my opinion his dancing in some parts was a bit excessive. I'd rather watch Human Nature from the victory tour and Bad tour (mainly 87 leg) than from the Dangerous Tour.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Themidwestcowboy For This Useful Post: