Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 187 USD, Received: 68 USD (36%)
We need your help...Please if you can help us with our cost's it will be hugely appreciated.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Artistic Decisions in Michael Jackson's Career That Are Questionable

Hybrid View

Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 256
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

Default Artistic Decisions in Michael Jackson's Career That Are Questionable

Certain artistic decisions in Michael Jackson’s career can be considered wrong or bad.

For example:

Not releasing an accompanying music video for his ‘Human Nature’ single.

The fade out of the ‘Speed Demon’ song into the intro of the ‘Liberian Girl’ song.

The incessant and annoying chatter from all these famous people in the ‘Liberian Girl’ music video.

The inclusion of his cover version of the ‘Gone Too Soon’ song on the ‘Dangerous’ album (given that the Dangerous era was probably his most creative era, cover songs should have had no place in that album).

The Ancient Egypt concept of the ‘Remember The Time’ music video that does not fit some of the song’s lyrics: for instance, he sings at one point “you and me, in Spain” but Spain did not exist yet in the Ancient Egypt period, or at another point he sings “on the phone, you and me” but phones were not invented yet in the Ancient Egypt period.

The ‘Working Day And Night’ performance that drags on unnecessarily and thus becoming after a certain point very repetitive and monotonous (in the BAD Tour and in the Dangerous Tour).

During his solo tours, performing the ‘Jackson 5 Medley’ (‘I Want You Back’, ‘The Love You Save’, and ‘I'll Be There’) with members of his back up band that were not his brothers.

The inclusion of overly long symphonic musical segments in the beginning of certain of his songs (such as, ‘Will You Be There’, ‘Little Susie’).

The removal of ‘The Way You Make Me Feel’ performance from many of the Dangerous Tour and History Tour concerts (a performance that had a strong, visual on stage concept and decent choreography that the audience seemed to like).

At the end of each HIStory Tour concert, leaving the stage in a very simple and ordinary way (by just walking off the stage).

Discuss.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mj_frenzy For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 310
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger First ClassVeteran10000 Experience PointsOverdrive

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,167 Times in 1,284 Posts

Default Re: Artistic decisions in Michael Jackson’s career that can be considered wrong or bad

Not releasing a 1988 HQ Bad tour show back in the day.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hulkamaniac For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 106
    Overall activity: 45.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,215 Times in 1,981 Posts

Default Re: Artistic decisions in Michael Jackson’s career that can be considered wrong or bad

I dunno if I’d call it “wrong” or “bad,” but I wish Michael did an MTV Unplugged performance. Imagine a 30-minute acoustic set, in an intimate venue with a smaller crowd. I would’ve loved that.

Also, why did he never host (or perform on) SNL? Seems like that would be a great opportunity to show his comedy chops.

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,507 Times in 1,509 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysThere View Post
    I dunno if I’d call it “wrong” or “bad,” but I wish Michael did an MTV Unplugged performance. Imagine a 30-minute acoustic set, in an intimate venue with a smaller crowd. I would’ve loved that.

Also, why did he never host (or perform on) SNL? Seems like that would be a great opportunity to show his comedy chops.

how i wish he was on snl that wouldve been a killer

Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 119
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thanks

Invincible is great, but it could’ve seriously benefitted if he had finished Hollywood Tonight and Xscape and they were on the album in place of tracks like Invincible and Cry. Also, the cover art was poor compared to his previous albums. Call the album Unbreakable, replace a few songs and improve the cover art and it would have been received much better imo. It may not have affected the fallout between him and Tommy Mottola that would later happen, but still.
    Last edited by Snek; 20-05-2021 at 09:16 PM.

Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 155
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Artistic decisions? Hmm, I think he should have taken more risks. I mean, he always did the same thing basically. Tour set lists and such for example. He pretty much stuck to the same theme with his albums. He had a few dance tracks, a couple kinda edgy rock type songs, something to do with the world or saving the planet and always had to have a rapper in the later songs. He would also have the same type of ballads. I wish he would have stepped outside the box when he got older. This is not a knock at all. So think his confidence suffered in his later years, tended to play it safe.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Smooth72 For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 44
    Achievements:
    500 Experience PointsTagger Second Class3 months registered
    Level
    Thanks

In general I think an amazing choice for Michael would've been to include "We've Had Enough" instead of "Cry" on the Invincible album. "We've Had Enough" has a much stronger message and in my mind has way more punch to its instrumentals. Especially in the wake of the September 11th attacks in the U.S., "We've Had Enough" would've been a much more timely and well-heard message than "Cry". "Cry" has the feel of "You Are Not Alone" when the moment really called for another "Earth Song". I think that had MJ released "We've Had Enough" on Invincible it would've become a #1 hit in many countries. Obviously if he had included "We've Had Enough" he would have to either change the ending of or swap out "Privacy" (since that song takes its outro directly from "We've Had Enough").

Quote Originally Posted by Smooth72 View Post
    Artistic decisions? Hmm, I think he should have taken more risks. I mean, he always did the same thing basically. Tour set lists and such for example. He pretty much stuck to the same theme with his albums. He had a few dance tracks, a couple kinda edgy rock type songs, something to do with the world or saving the planet and always had to have a rapper in the later songs. He would also have the same type of ballads. I wish he would have stepped outside the box when he got older. This is not a knock at all. So think his confidence suffered in his later years, tended to play it safe.
    This. He experimented with rap on his own obviously, and while his skills in it might not have been strong enough to take up a whole track, I think rap interludes on his edgier rock tracks would've been more than passable. Hell, a "Black or White" or "Shout"-style rap verse on "We've Had Enough" would've been perfect
    "I am the one who chased the clouds away; I am forever and a day; nothing can hurt you." ~~ Best of Joy

Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 256
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

Some more:

Michael Jackson’s decision to star in one of the worst films of all time (‘The Wiz’), a role which was also generally his biggest failure by that time.

The removal of these additional few lines from the second verse of the ‘Smooth Criminal’ song (without these lines the song feels incomplete).

The casual, yellow-red jacket (with the ‘M’ letter on it) that he wore during the ‘Thriller’ performance in certain BAD Tour concerts.

His violent behaviour (smashing windows, destroying a car, etc) during the ‘black panther’ segment of his ‘Black Or White’ music video.

The gun shot at the end of the ‘D.S.’ song (which clearly implied a death wish).

Bringing an entire tank on stage for his ‘Earth Song’ performance (HIStory Tour).

All these sound effects, which were taken from arcade video games, in his ‘Heartbreaker’ song (from 03:48 onwards).

The replacement of ‘Shout’ with the yawn-inducing ‘You Are My Life’ song (on the ‘Invincible’ album), which was not only a bad decision but also an inexplicable decision as well.

Quote Originally Posted by king_of_style View Post
    In general I think an amazing choice for Michael would've been to include "We've Had Enough" instead of "Cry" on the Invincible album. "We've Had Enough" has a much stronger message and in my mind has way more punch to its instrumentals. Especially in the wake of the September 11th attacks in the U.S., "We've Had Enough" would've been a much more timely and well-heard message than "Cry". "Cry" has the feel of "You Are Not Alone" when the moment really called for another "Earth Song". I think that had MJ released "We've Had Enough" on Invincible it would've become a #1 hit in many countries. Obviously if he had included "We've Had Enough" he would have to either change the ending of or swap out "Privacy" (since that song takes its outro directly from "We've Had Enough").
    The record company insisted on including ‘Cry’, and actually that song was one of the very first songs which was finished for the album.

‘Cry’ appeared to have big chart and commercial potential because R. Kelly was a guaranteed hit-maker at the time given some of his big hits that he wrote, such as ‘You Are Not Alone’ (1995), ‘I Believe I Can Fly’ (1996), ‘I'm Your Angel’ (1998).

It goes without saying that leaving out ‘We've Had Enough’ from the album was another bad decision.

Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 154
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mj_frenzy View Post
    All these sound effects, which were taken from arcade video games, in his ‘Heartbreaker’ song (from 03:48 onwards).
    O! I never knew those sounds were taken from arcade video games. That makes me appreciate the song a bit more, to be honest!

Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 196
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

tour setlists...though that did help solidify his hits and make them more iconic drillin them with their choreography into the publics mind but songs that didnt have extensive choregraphy like WBSS and jam should have been swaped for other songs every once in a while

Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 340
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran25000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassOverdrive
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,046 Times in 1,541 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mj_frenzy View Post
    The fade out of the ‘Speed Demon’ song into the intro of the ‘Liberian Girl’ song.
    I liked that. It works well when listening the whole album.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Galactus123 For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 59
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Wow, I've been a Michael Jackson fan my whole life and today I find out that Gone Too Soon was a cover!!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 91.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Blog entryVeteranThree FriendsOverdrive50000 Experience Points

Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,229 Times in 1,809 Posts

Listening to Michael Prince on the MJCast was so interesting and a great insight.

Think it basically told us why there was never an MJ Unplugged or similar - he wanted it as close to the CD version as humanly possible or (apparently in his words) the audience was 'sonically cheated'. Interesting take, for sure.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dam2040 For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 340
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran25000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassOverdrive
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,046 Times in 1,541 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dam2040 View Post
    Listening to Michael Prince on the MJCast was so interesting and a great insight.

Think it basically told us why there was never an MJ Unplugged or similar - he wanted it as close to the CD version as humanly possible or (apparently in his words) the audience was 'sonically cheated'. Interesting take, for sure.
    That was probably one of the reasons he lip-synced on HIStory Tour. I think he wasn't satisfied with his live singing at the time

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Galactus123 For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 73
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysThere View Post

There’s actually an answer for why he didn’t host SNL or some show like that. This is lifted from Moonwalk:
    “I’m not a comedian. I'm not a show host.
    I'm a musician. That's why I've turned down offers to host the Grammy Awards and the American Music Awards. Is it really entertaining for me to get up there and crack a few weak jokes and force people to laugh because I'm Michael Jackson, when I know in my heart that I'm not funny?”

Personally, I feel like he was too hard on himself but that’s what he thought.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hudson112 For This Useful Post: