Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 187 USD, Received: 62 USD (33%)
We need your help...Please if you can help us with our cost's it will be hugely appreciated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What demos would you like most to see remixed for wider audiences?

Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 37
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience PointsTagger Second Class3 months registered
    Level
    Thanks

Default What demos would you like most to see remixed for wider audiences?

Now I know that remixes are a controversial thing here in the MJJ Community, but I think we can all agree that both Michael and Xscape had remixed songs, and both of them sold pretty well for posthumous albums. Thus, if the Estate were to release any new music (be it a single, an EP or an album) I think it's a no-brainer that they'd remix whatever tracks they are using. And that way MJ's music can in some form reach modern audiences and younger listeners -- even if you don't agree with the principle of remixes, you'd have to agree that a lot of younger fans were probably brought into the fandom through these modern tracks.

That being said, and since we don't know what the songs left in the Vault sound like, I thought I'd make a thread asking you guys what demos that have been released or leaked (be it through TUC or otherwise) you'd like to see remixed and shown to wider audiences.

My top picks are:

1) "We've Had Enough" -- this song is very powerful even in its demo form, but I think its message is especially powerful today in the wake of civil rights protests going on globally. I think an aggressive but serious remix would be amazing and captivating to modern audiences. Probably somewhere in between "Whatever Happens", "Give In To Me", and "Earth Song".

2) "Gloucestershire" -- this is another song that never has gotten much attention. Even though it's in an incomplete state I think that it's a simple and sweet song and a proper remix of it could have the feeling of "The Way You Love Me" and "Best of Joy" (yes I know "Best of Joy" isn't a remix but still).

3) "Throwing Your Life Away" -- this is an often brought-up song here on this forum in discussions about potential new releases. I definitely think this song has hit potential and a contemporary remix could definitely give the song a more eerie or somber tone. Something along the lines of the Xscape's "Chicago" or Michael's "Another Day".

What demos would you guys like to see remixed and shown to modern audiences?
    Last edited by king_of_style; 26-05-2021 at 04:29 AM.
    "I am the one who chased the clouds away; I am forever and a day; nothing can hurt you." ~~ Best of Joy

2. The Following User Says Thank You to king_of_style For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.5%
    Achievements:
    Created Blog entryVeteranThree FriendsOverdrive50000 Experience Points

Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,191 Times in 1,788 Posts

Default Re: What demos would you like most to see remixed for wider audiences?

Hot Street.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dam2040 For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 35
    Overall activity: 73.0%
    Achievements:
    Overdrive1000 Experience Points3 months registered
    Level
    Thanks

None, nearly all those remixes on both Xscape and Michael are inferior to demos.
    The fact that they sold doesn't make them good.

I don't think that "We've had enough" is a demo (and it is not reffered as such on TUC).

Gloucestershire lyrics are incomplete, I don't think anything can be done about unless you want them to hire Malachi again, but other than that it's perfect as it is.
    There other issue is in sound quality so it could possibly use better mastering, not remixing.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxym For This Useful Post:

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dam2040 View Post
    Hot Street.
    This is another one that has hit potential IMO. If I remember correctly Michael at one time wanted it to be on Thriller but Quincy and Rod didn't like it enough

Quote Originally Posted by Maxym View Post
    None, nearly all those remixes on both Xscape and Michael are inferior to demos.
    The fact that they sold doesn't make them good.

I don't think that "We've had enough" is a demo (and it is not reffered as such on TUC).

Gloucestershire lyrics are incomplete, I don't think anything can be done about unless you want them to hire Malachi again, but other than that it's perfect as it is.
    There other issue is in sound quality so it could possibly use better mastering, not remixing.
    I mean this thread was for which demos you'd want wider audiences to hear, as in which demos you think deserve more attention and praise. And since some of Michael's demos date as far back as the late 70s, I think remixing is inevitable, since an EP of songs that haven't been touched since 1979 won't sell well outside of this fandom. And unfortunately that's what the Estate is in the business of: selling stuff and making money.

I don't like all the elements of every remix either, but as long as his vocals and talent are given the first place and the project is done with love and respect for MJ in mind, I don't think they could ruin any of his demos. Especially since we will always have the original demos -- like they say, if it's on the Internet it's there forever.

EDIT: Also to be fair "The Way You Love Me" wasn't listed as a demo either and if I remember correctly, Michael didn't think the song was quite finished and wanted to work on it some more.
    "I am the one who chased the clouds away; I am forever and a day; nothing can hurt you." ~~ Best of Joy

8. The Following User Says Thank You to king_of_style For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 15
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    31 days registered100 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by king_of_style View Post
    Now I know that remixes are a controversial thing here in the MJJ Community, but I think we can all agree that both Michael and Xscape had remixed songs, and both of them sold pretty well for posthumous albums. Thus, if the Estate were to release any new music (be it a single, an EP or an album) I think it's a no-brainer that they'd remix whatever tracks they are using. And that way MJ's music can in some form reach modern audiences and younger listeners -- even if you don't agree with the principle of remixes, you'd have to agree that a lot of younger fans were probably brought into the fandom through these modern tracks.

That being said, and since we don't know what the songs left in the Vault sound like, I thought I'd make a thread asking you guys what demos that have been released or leaked (be it through TUC or otherwise) you'd like to see remixed and shown to wider audiences.

My top picks are:

1) "We've Had Enough" -- this song is very powerful even in its demo form, but I think its message is especially powerful today in the wake of civil rights protests going on globally. I think an aggressive but serious remix would be amazing and captivating to modern audiences. Probably somewhere in between "Whatever Happens", "Give In To Me", and "Earth Song".

2) "Gloucestershire" -- this is another song that never has gotten much attention. Even though it's in an incomplete state I think that it's a simple and sweet song and a proper remix of it could have the feeling of "The Way You Love Me" and "Best of Joy" (yes I know "Best of Joy" isn't a remix but still).

3) "Throwing Your Life Away" -- this is an often brought-up song here on this forum in discussions about potential new releases. I definitely think this song has hit potential and a contemporary remix could definitely give the song a more eerie or somber tone. Something along the lines of the Xscape's "Chicago" or Michael's "Another Day".

What demos would you guys like to see remixed and shown to modern audiences?
    Where did you hear the Best Of Joy wasn't a remix? All songs on Michael were reworked, even if its just a tiny bit just like Another Day and Much T, while we haven't heard the OG Best Of Joy to compare, I doubt they just released it the way it was.

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsOverdriveVeteranTagger Second Class25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,281 Times in 2,491 Posts

We've Had Enough would be great if they used an alternate vocal take, I don't think it should be used on a posthumous album though. Release it on an EP maybe with the solo version of WMCIG/People Of The World' ft. BTS and Bottom Of My Heart or I Have This Dream, with proceeds going to Heal LA maybe...

Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,907 Times in 1,701 Posts

Price of Fame and We've Had Enough (though I actually don't think WHE is a demo)
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Ahess/videos - me dancing MJ - many years ago. :)

I would be really glad if you rated or/and commented the videos. Thanks

Overall activity: 99.5%
    Achievements:
    Created Blog entryVeteranThree FriendsOverdrive50000 Experience Points

Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,191 Times in 1,788 Posts

I’ve still got no idea why WHE is considered by fans to have hit potential.

Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 191
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,750 Times in 976 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MJFAN2434 View Post
    Where did you hear the Best Of Joy wasn't a remix? All songs on Michael were reworked, even if its just a tiny bit just like Another Day and Much T, while we haven't heard the OG Best Of Joy to compare, I doubt they just released it the way it was.
    Yeah, Best Of Joy was totally reworked by Neff-U

Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,907 Times in 1,701 Posts

Because it's an amazing song and the message is more relevant than ever. Strong vocals and great beat.

It's all there really. - Could be a hit I guess. - And even if it's not gonna be a hit it deserves more recognition.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Ahess/videos - me dancing MJ - many years ago. :)

I would be really glad if you rated or/and commented the videos. Thanks

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hess For This Useful Post:

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks

I always thought it wasn't remixed because it was made so close to MJ's death that I'd assumed it was contemporary enough for release, unlike "Behind the Mask" which was apparently completely redone. I stand corrected then.

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothGangsta View Post
    Yeah, Best Of Joy was totally reworked by Neff-U
    Damn, it was the last song the man ever completed and they couldn't even release it as-is.

Quote Originally Posted by Zakk View Post
    We've Had Enough would be great if they used an alternate vocal take, I don't think it should be used on a posthumous album though. Release it on an EP maybe with the solo version of WMCIG/People Of The World' ft. BTS and Bottom Of My Heart or I Have This Dream, with proceeds going to Heal LA maybe...
    This would be a very good idea I think. Have a Scream-esque compilation of his less well-known humanitarian songs.

I think it's probably its message more than anything else, its in some ways more fed-up than "Earth Song" or "Why You Wanna Trip On Me". It's a side of Michael that isn't shown much in popular culture, which focuses more on "We Are The World", "Man In The Mirror".

Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 35
    Overall activity: 73.0%
    Achievements:
    Overdrive1000 Experience Points3 months registered
    Level
    Thanks

we haven't heard the OG Best Of Joy
    I heard at a probably-unofficial a capella version, which confirmed my thought that I would prefer a version with less instruments/quieter beats, something like than what is on the album. (I don't remember if I heard yet another version).

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Maxym View Post
    I heard at a probably-unofficial a capella version, which confirmed my thought that I would prefer a version with less instruments/quieter beats, something like than what is on the album. (I don't remember if I heard yet another version).
    There were at least three other versions, then, right? "The Toy", "Best of Joy" 1991 version, and then the 2008 "Best of Joy"?

Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 17
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    31 days registered100 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Sunset Driver. It would sound really funky if the song got modernized today with that bass melody. It's a song I could see Bruno Mars and Mark Ronson do some magic with.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to brnaryn For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 2
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

for sure sunset driver oh the potential on that one...
    its pretty much finished the only thing it lacks is sub bass and a modern mix to give it the 2021 feel and its PERFECT

22. The Following User Says Thank You to rolerprod For This Useful Post: