Has the estate ever at one point asked us the fans what we would like?

dancinmachine51

Proud Member
Hey guys!
I hope you are all well.

I was just thinking while surfing through the pages here and watching the vids…has the estate ever asked us what we the fans would like?
Im guessing no but just as they did the TII track wishlist where we voted on songs to be performed, couldn’t they ask us what we would like to see. I mean we all know footage does exist so wouldn’t it be nice. They could like do a list with footage that they have and could release and we vote…

I dunno, pretty random but I thought to have the discussion here.

If anyone who reads this can get in touch with the estate and mention this to them please feel free. If I knew contact details I would but I don’t know the details and I do not have any social media accounts like Twitter.

love ya’ll xx

To the admins if this thread is in wrong place (sorry if it is) please move it. I posted in 2000 watts as it’s to do with footage

Hey guys!
I hope you are all well.

I was just thinking while surfing through the pages here and watching the vids…has the estate ever asked us what we the fans would like?
Im guessing no but just as they did the TII track wishlist where we voted on songs to be performed, couldn’t they ask us what we would like to see. I mean we all know footage does exist so wouldn’t it be nice. They could like do a list with footage that they have and could release and we vote…

If anyone who reads this can get in touch with the estate and mention this to them please feel free. If I knew contact details I would but I don’t know the details and I do not have any social media accounts like Twitter.

love ya’ll xx

They've never asked what the fans would like to see, nor do they let constructive criticism reflect on what they deliver. As for the TII Rehearsals we have information from the people with amateur recordings that their are 6 Unseen performances yet to be seen... As well as alternate performances of what was seen in the original feature.

Although I wish they were more in touch with what we wanted, I'm gonna play devil's advocate and say that I'm not sure that they need to ask us.

Generally, I'm not aware of any estate of any fanbase interacting with and releasing things for their fans in such a direct manner.

They have to do things for business reasons and for maintaining Michael's image on a global scale, rather than pandering to those of us who would love to see every moment of Michael's life if we could!

That being said, obviously I'm on your side and I feel that releasing a Victory Tour/Triumph Tour concert would be a great spark of interest on a global scale because it was the peak of Michael's fame. A Bad Tour 2nd leg would be great too, but from a business perspective I'm not sure they will see a benefit in releasing another concert from the same tour. Again, great for us fans, maybe not so great in the "overall picture".

What they could do, like Metallica have had for ages, would be to create an online vault of loads of concerts. I think Metallica have almost every concert ever of theirs uploaded online and fans pay for access to view them whenever they want. They could make use of a lot of archive material that way. I wish they would consider this at some point

What they could do, like Metallica have had for ages, would be to create an online vault of loads of concerts. I think Metallica have almost every concert ever of theirs uploaded online and fans pay for access to view them whenever they want. They could make use of a lot of archive material that way. I wish they would consider this at some point
Oh God, I'm so glad someone mentioned the Metallica thing. The Estate would have the lowest production cost possible to have something like that up and running. Screw remasters, just put raw transfers of masters and charge a price for them.

Oh God, I'm so glad someone mentioned the Metallica thing. The Estate would have the lowest production cost possible to have something like that up and running. Screw remasters, just put raw transfers of masters and charge a price for them.
Absolutely. Minimum effort from them. Maximum enjoyment for fans. They earn extra money if they charge for access. Plus, it doesn't affect their ongoing public relations plans. It makes so much sense

Absolutely. Minimum effort from them. Maximum enjoyment for fans. They earn extra money if they charge for access. Plus, it doesn't affect their ongoing public relations plans. It makes so much sense
Metallica charges $20 for each soundboard, all of them in FLAC or MP3. It's reasonable if the Estate charged $50 for stuff like MSG, LA and others, for example.
Their claim is that production cost for a live release would be too high and there'd be little profit from it, so an online vault would be the solution. They don't seem to realize not every release has to be physical.

Im down with that. I think that’s a great way. I wish they consider that too but I’m thinking there must be a way for that idea to reach them so that they could start considering. I wish there was a way for some ideas that fans may have like the one you mentioned to reach the estate.

This. I agree with every word. Could some mod put this thread on Discussion? I don't think it belongs here in 2000 Watts.

They did release the Wembley concert because fans wanted it.

Last edited:

DonÂ’t get me started with Metallica what they do for the fans is fantastic. During the pandemic they released a different concert every Monday to watch for free. You should check out what they are doing for the Black album anniversary coming out in September. Like 15hrs worth of demos, alternate takes and unreleased songs, plus live shows. Not to mention 53 versions of their hit done by other artist like Mylie Cyrus and Chris Stapleton. I wish we had that for Mike.

Don’t get me started with Metallica what they do for the fans is fantastic. During the pandemic they released a different concert every Monday to watch for free. You should check out what they are doing for the Black album anniversary coming out in September. Like 15hrs worth of demos, alternate takes and unreleased songs, plus live shows. Not to mention 53 versions of their hit done by other artist like Mylie Cyrus and Chris Stapleton. I wish we had that for Mike.
Sadly, I don't think MJ has that much studio material for potential releases. As for live material, a project for an online archive with digital files available for purchase would be completely suitable and also kill their argument of "little profit to a high production cost".

A collector's label has been discussed for years but seems it wont be happening any time soon. It is nice that the estate have made MJs concerts free on YT. I think this debunks the whole "estate shouldnt release concerts because they aren't profitable" nonsense. Hoping to see some new live material eventually.

Although I wish they were more in touch with what we wanted, I'm gonna play devil's advocate and say that I'm not sure that they need to ask us.

Generally, I'm not aware of any estate of any fanbase interacting with and releasing things for their fans in such a direct manner.

They have to do things for business reasons and for maintaining Michael's image on a global scale, rather than pandering to those of us who would love to see every moment of Michael's life if we could!

Completely agree. The Estate's purpose is to settle debts, gather credit, generate income, pay off loans, settle disputes/court cases and disperse income/assets to the beneficiaries once it exits probate. Fans didn't tell Michael what they wanted to see when he was alive....they waited for him to release new albums, announce concert tours to support them and make appearances at various events and places of interest. I don't really see why fans think they can tell the Estate, which is basically a business entity, what they want and expect to get it.

Not to mention 53 versions of their hit done by other artist like Mylie Cyrus and Chris Stapleton.

I wouldn't want to see 53 versions of one of Michael's hits, done by other people. LOL
Demos, alternate takes, unreleased songs and live shows would be good though.

I wouldn't want to see 53 versions of one of Michael's hits, done by other people. LOL
Demos, alternate takes, unreleased songs and live shows would be good though.

Yeah that would be good! And just to mention I meant in terms of having the fans involved just like they did when they were creating the set list for TII. I mean for example letÂ’s say they have a few footage of different concerts and intend to release at least one of them, would be good if they did like a vote but aiming the poll at message boards/forums just like this or even on the website.

By the way, I think maybe this answers questions about videos and concerts, the below is from www.michaeljackson.com under FAQ’s.

WILL THE ESTATE UPGRADE MICHAEL’S SHORT FILMS TO 4K?
The Estate has every intention of upgrading Michael’s short films wherever possible. Upgrading Michael’s short films is more akin to what is required for older theatrical motion pictures as opposed to music videos by other artists in large part due to all of the work (e.g., effects, etc.) customarily done on each short film beyond the actual filming and the manner and format in which all of that work was originally done. A few short films, like “Thriller” and “Smooth Criminal”, have 35 mm masters where the upgrade is expensive but much more doable. However, that is not the case for most of the short films and, in these cases, the process is more expensive and requires more work (and time). In some cases, it may not even be possible if all we have is a poor quality master tape and no original source materials are located. It is important for fans to understand that not everything that was created by Michael actually made it into Michael’s storage facilities (including, for example, the high def footage of the full Bad Tour concert at Wembley even though we know that Michael shot “Another Part of Me” at that and other concerts on film to create the short film for that song). But we will continue to look for the best solution for the challenges we face with each of the short films and we look forward to sharing the upgraded short films when the work required has been completed.

By the way, I think maybe this answers questions about videos and concerts, the below is from www.michaeljackson.com under FAQ’s.

What stood out to me most from that is "and other concerts on film". So if it didn't make it to his storage facility then where else could it be? The wembley multitracks were with the audio engineer. The film has got to be with some other crew/production member or other storage facility.

What stood out to me most from that is "and other concerts on film". So if it didn't make it to his storage facility then where else could it be? The wembley multitracks were with the audio engineer. The film has got to be with some other crew/production member or other storage facility.

It kinda gives me "we haven't even looked for it" vibes.

Hell they told us that since we've been asking for Wembley... "we found it, only take no film who cares, here you go". We've been asking for 4k scans for 10years + so..... now I'm just whatever

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

Did Michael ever ask us what we wanted when he was alive? No. He released what he deemed was right. In the same manner, the Estate who are now representing Michael after his death have released stuff that they deem is right.

While it would be nice if the Estate asked us fans for our opinions, that isnÂ’t something that they have to do and nor should they be criticised for it, in my opinion.

Did Michael ever ask us what we wanted when he was alive? No. He released what he deemed was right. In the same manner, the Estate who are now representing Michael after his death have released stuff that they deem is right.

While it would be nice if the Estate asked us fans for our opinions, that isn’t something that they have to do and nor should they be criticised for it, in my opinion.

I agree

I would say Bad25 is the closest they came to giving what the fans wanted. If they had left those God awful remixes off and put more unreleased tracks on it, it would have been fantastic (not that the end result wasn't good). I loved the unreleased stuff, the live album and the concert DVD.

While it would be nice if the Estate asked us fans for our opinions, that isn’t something that they have to do and nor should they be criticised for it, in my opinion.
I get that but at the same time the fans are the ones making them money. We buy/stream the music. I don't think it would hurt to be included in some projects. They did somewhat before. Wembley is a great example.

Hey guys!
I hope you are all well.

love ya’ll xx

To the admins if this thread is in wrong place (sorry if it is) please move it. I posted in 2000 watts as it’s to do with footage

According to the Estate’s policy, fans are not allowed to get in touch with the Estate for possible new releases.

John Branca at one point even forbade fans to send him e-mails for such releases.

Also, the Estate stated that they want to surprise fans with their releases, meaning that they are not going to do a list with footage that they have and could release and then fans would vote.

They periodically scroll through their social media accounts and certain on line Michael Jackson fan communities, so as to get an idea of what type of stuff fans are interested in, but this method does not really dictate what they are going to release.

They said that they want to theatrically release re-mastered, upgraded versions of certain Michael Jackson’s music videos, but they realized that they lack the masters of them.

In other cases, they do have the masters but they do not want to proceed to release certain stuff due to other reasons (such as, the cancelled ‘BAD Tour - Live In Yokohama’ video release because they did not like the set list of that show).

According to the EstateÂ’s policy, fans are not allowed to get in touch with the Estate for possible new releases.

John Branca at one point even forbade fans to send him e-mails for such releases.

I don't think that first part is true. Estate's online team has email address and they have responded in the past. They have said that they passed my feedback to the Estate.

Last edited:
I get that but at the same time the fans are the ones making them money. We buy/stream the music. I don't think it would hurt to be included in some projects. They did somewhat before. Wembley is a great example.

I don't disagree.

The Estate are expecting way too much when it comes to sales. If something isn't gonna make them absurd amounts of money then it's not worth doing.

Back