Ghosts video

dinkydoo

Proud Member
I just received it in the mail today! :sarmoti

As far as I know, the MJ Ghosts video is only available on VCD format & is an Asian SONY release??

VCD quality is pretty good & I am very pleased that I bought the video off of Amazon.com. Still, I would love to see this video in DVD quality format in the near future. lol...MJ as a fat white dude! :wtf2

LOL, yep its a masterpiece as are so many other MJ items :)

I have said this so many times before; But!!!
Here I go once again: If this is not made available on DVD, with the whole making of and everything, I will feel let down, deprived, disapointed and sometime soon I will be found in a music store doing what a four year old kid would do when her candy is taken away from her- I will lay down and kick and scream and cry til people in white clothes come to take me away to a safe place..... :doctor:

Its one of the absolute best music videos/ short films ever made, and I want to see it in good quality on a big TV, so that I can really appreciate all the details. :flowers:

Well it's also available on VCR - that's what I have it on. Sure would be great for it to be released on DVD with extras. They released Moonwalker, why can't they release Ghosts? (which is far better in my opinion).

Well it's also available on VCR - that's what I have it on. Sure would be great for it to be released on DVD with extras. They released Moonwalker, why can't they release Ghosts? (which is far better in my opinion).[/b]

I wanna see it on DVD too! :)

It's funny how even when Michael is dressed up as some fat white old guy in full makeup and masks and everything it's still so obviously him. For me, the giveaways were the eyes and the voice.

I love Ghosts to death. My favourite part in the whole thing is when all the ghosts are dancing upside down on the ceiling and then they all slowly float down to stand around Michael and he lifts an eyebrow in defiance.

My favourite part of Ghosts is when Michael pulls off his face, revealing his skull; the skeletal moonwalk and the part where he smashed his head on the floor. Those are really nice effects!

I think of the two scary videos, I like Thriller better. Thriller simply covers wider areas/scenes and straight to the point. Sometimes I find myself fast-forwarding some parts of Ghosts when we have to wait for the ghouls to make their next dance move. Am not saying its bad. Ghosts is still a great video.

Oh, a funny moment in Ghosts which really made me chuckle evertime is when a particular zombie let out a cough because his suit is covered with dust! :lol: :lol:

I adore Ghosts. I couldn't possibly choose between Ghosts or Thriller though, they both have their own little things that make them amazing!

Ghosts is awsome, everything Michael does with film is awsome, but I do agree that the Thriller short film is better. That's just me. It isn't much better though. I just like the acting and scenery better. Even though the concept in Ghosts was much deeper and closer to Michael as a person, I just love the secnes in Thriller.

I really don`t compare Ghost and Thriller, even if its kind of natural because they both kind of have the same theme. I love them both equally.[/b]
I don't think they compare at all. I just watched it for the first time a couple of hours ago (on Jacksontube) and have been rewastching it ever since. Like everything else I have watched or listened to of Michael's it gets better each time.

I came looking for this thread because I am curious about the skeletan. Are they just matching up an animated skeletan's movements with the movement's of Michael's joints or what?

They had Michael wear a suit with censors on it, on the joints and such and had him dance against a green screen. I think that's how they did it.

Thriller is always the coolest. Ghosts had some really nice special effects I can tell ya that.

I re-watched Ghosts recently, and it's truly an amazing film. The dancing is off the hook, really amazing, Michael just grabs your attention so much, and the message also is important. It really has little in relation with Thriller, other then the semi-horror theme, Ghosts really isn't about that at all, but about people's inablity to accept anything or anyone that differs from themselves.

I like Ghosts, but is by no means my favourite of his music videos/short films.

I love the dancing, when he finally gets down to it! But I think the whole thing is abit drawn out, and almost...(dare I say)...tacky? For example, the ending is abit cliche with the kids scaring Michael and all that jazz.

None the less, I enjoy watching the dancing, and the build-up with the ghosts walking on the walls and celings and MJ turing into a skelton etc. Cool film!

My favourite short film is the whole version of "Bad", I think his acting there is fantastic!

I re-watched Ghosts recently, and it's truly an amazing film. The dancing is off the hook, really amazing, Michael just grabs your attention so much, and the message also is important. It really has little in relation with Thriller, other then the semi-horror theme, Ghosts really isn't about that at all, but about people's inablity to accept anything or anyone that differs from themselves.[/b]
Maybe I am reading more into it than is there (although classic literature has a depth just due to its being faithful to life, human character, etc. without the layers necessarily being planned) but I think it has many layers of meaning to it.

What fascinates me the most is that mainly it is prophetic in a way that couldn't have been forseen. Think about it. The 'fat white guy' is Sneddon, predjudiced, full of hate, and trying to run Michael (the ghost) out of Neverland (Someplace Else) because he is 'not normal'. The children he has entertained love him and are not afraid. The adults initially follow the 'fat white guy" in spite of the fact that it is not truely what they believe is right. When they think 'the fat white guy' actually wants them to hurt the ghost they are horrified. The ghost displays enormous power and control but always uses it to entertain or with great gentleness (as the way he gently brings the other ghosts floating down) and for good. The 'audience' is alternately fascinated, horrified, entertained, and feels caring for him. The 'fat white guy' becomes part of the 'entertainment' and look a fool. When it seems near the end that the Ghost agrees to leave as the 'fat white guy' wishes (leave Neverland as Sneddon wished) the other people react with a range of reactions from not wanting the Ghost to go because they care to not wanting the entertainment to stop. The children are pure with caring for him throughout for it is the children who knew him as their freind from the beginning. It looks like he has decided to give in to the 'fat white guy' and destroy himself. As he disappears his 'audience' realizes what it has lost. At that point it is truely driven home what they have done and they feel the emptyness of his not being there. The people hesitate as the 'fat white guy' asks them to follow. They are no longer willing to follow him. He had with predudice tried to use his power over them for bad. They look saddened at the place that the Ghost disappeared instead. But the Ghost (Michael) is magic. He wins the 'game' and it is the 'fat white guy' who leaves. The Ghost appears again in his original form. He did not crumble after all. The lesson is learned and the Ghost will entertain again.

They had Michael wear a suit with censors on it, on the joints and such and had him dance against a green screen. I think that's how they did it.[/b]
At the end of the film where they show some of the make up and effects, you could see him dancing in an outfit that was marked at the joints while someone else was watching the skeletan on the screen but I don't understand how that works. What did the sensors transmit to?

I love the dancing, when he finally gets down to it! But I think the whole thing is abit drawn out, and almost...(dare I say)...tacky? For example, the ending is abit cliche with the kids scaring Michael and all that jazz.

None the less, I enjoy watching the dancing, and the build-up with the ghosts walking on the walls and celings and MJ turing into a skelton etc. Cool film!

My favourite short film is the whole version of "Bad", I think his acting there is fantastic![/b]
I agree that there were a few 'tacky' parts that perhaps could have been done better, but I think some of that was to make sure that in the end, chirdren watching would not be afraid. The overall message and depth of the film more than made up for the couple of 'tacky' parts for me.

My favorite part was the lady being hit like she hit her kid and the aura of anger from the Ghost because she had hit the child, conveyed both by Michael's expression and body language and the effects.

Another question I have about this film:

Is that Michael's mother playing one of the townspeople. She isn't listed in the cast list I found but it sure looks like her.

I love the bit where they all go up the ceiling and then come down very slowly I like the instrumental music that is played in the background :D

Okay. I am back asking questions... even though I seem to be talking to myself. lol. I am just so fascinated with this video. Is Michael the mayor the whole while or just for the dance part. Does anyone know? Is that Michael's voice for the mayor. I know Michael can change his voice a lot and if it is dubbed you sure can't see it but I can't detect Michael's voice at all within the mayors voice.

I hope someone knows the answers to my questions.

I had never seen him do that 'rubber legged' dance move anyplace else and it is really great. Ghosts is really the last 'video' he made isn't it since none came out for Invincible. Is that right? So that move would be the last new one we have seen.

My favourite short film is the whole version of "Bad", I think his acting there is fantastic![/b]

I love Bad. It's one of my top 2 or 3 from him. It's hard to choose, because they're all excellent. But as you pointed out, his acting in Bad was phenomenal, and the dance sequence was just amazing. Like my dad said, he really looked like a professional dancer in that video. I like it more then Ghosts too, but I still love Ghosts, lol. But the concept in Bad is really interesting to me. Because what it basically is, is Michael's character in the film imagines the entire song and dance sequence and the retained freindship with Wesley Snipes' character. It's all in his head, as at the very end of the film, you see it fade again to that bluish, black and white color and Michael is left in his sweatshirt and other original clothing, watching as his former friends walk away, he's left alone, because he wouldn't give in to peer pressure. So the entire sequence between Michael blowing up and screaming at the other guys that they're nothing, and the end of the dance sequence, where Wesley and his crew leave, is supposed to be imagined. And I think that's really a brilliant sort of concept.

I'll try answering your questions EC, lol.

I'm not entirely sure how the suite works, I think it's the same way they created Golum in Lord Of The Rings, it picks up the movement from the person wearing it and feeds it back to a computer, where you can animate it any way you like. I'm not sure though. The green screen allows you to place any type of background behind an actor that you want.

I don't think that was Michael's mother in the video, the woman just had a similar build I suppose, and similar hair.

And yes, that really is Michael playing the mayor for the entire duration of the film. If you're not paying close attention, it easily passes you by that it is Michael. That happened to me the first time I saw it. I was shocked to know the film even exsisted and was so excited to just see it that I wasn't paying any attention, lol. But you can tell it's Michael by his eyes and even his voice, you can hear the same sort of tonality, although somewhat distorted due to the accent, and the same inflection on certain words.

And actually he did do "You Rock My World" for "Invincible", which I actually really enjoyed. But he was rushed into it and forced by Sony to do it. It wasn't his original planned single release for the album, but he didn't have a choice in the matter.

And just to add, I agree with your assesment of the film, it really does have a heavy undertone of meaning, behind all of the special effects and comedy, it goes straight to the heart of Michael's dilema throughout his adult life, dealing with people who don't understand.

I just found the made for tv clip of how the video was made. It was in JacksonTube. I guess I should have thought to look there for something. I was searching the net for info and couldn't find anything.

I still have a hard time believing that is Michael's voice coming out of the mayor. I think they are trying to show you it is but I just am not sure. It doesn't sound at all like Michael.

I still don't know if that is his mother in the film. The lady who says shame on him that kids are impressionable. Is it? In some shots it looks just like her but not in others.

I'll try answering your questions EC, lol.

I'm not entirely sure how the suite works, I think it's the same way they created Golum in Lord Of The Rings, it picks up the movement from the person wearing it and feeds it back to a computer, where you can animate it any way you like. I'm not sure though. The green screen allows you to place any type of background behind an actor that you want.

I don't think that was Michael's mother in the video, the woman just had a similar build I suppose, and similar hair.

And yes, that really is Michael playing the mayor for the entire duration of the film. If you're not paying close attention, it easily passes you by that it is Michael. That happened to me the first time I saw it. I was shocked to know the film even exsisted and was so excited to just see it that I wasn't paying any attention, lol. But you can tell it's Michael by his eyes and even his voice, you can hear the same sort of tonality, although somewhat distorted due to the accent, and the same inflection on certain words.

And actually he did do "You Rock My World" for "Invincible", which I actually really enjoyed. But he was rushed into it and forced by Sony to do it. It wasn't his original planned single release for the album, but he didn't have a choice in the matter.

And just to add, I agree with your assesment of the film, it really does have a heavy undertone of meaning, behind all of the special effects and comedy, it goes straight to the heart of Michael's dilema throughout his adult life, dealing with people who don't understand.[/b]
Thank you.

I saw Jacksonoligist on and thought he/she might answer but then they have been here a bit so I went searching again. I don't know if I can link you directly there but we can try it and you can see about the skeleton.

http://michaeljackson.magnify.net/item/GJ0...r+email+request

Yeah, I've seen it. If you watch Ghosts again and pay close attention, you'll be able to decern that it is Michael. He has a range of 4 octaves, so he can change his voice to an incredible extent, lol.

MJ done some of his best dance moves in that video, I'd like to see him do more movies like "Ghosts" oppose to stuff like Moonwalker - which is just a few music videos super glued to eachother...

Back