Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: MJ Can't Sing?

Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 10
    Overall activity: 0.4%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Why do some people say this? I've heard people say this before and I just don't understand it. How is it that some people think MJ can't sing? And they don't just mean recently, they mean that he could never and can't sing period, like he doesn't have a good voice. I just don't get this. Please someone explain this to me.

Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 8
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered

Level
    Thanks

People who say that MJ can't sing are obviously tone deaf

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Three Friends25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thanks

It's because those people are tasteless idiots.

Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 26
    Achievements:
    1 year registered100 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

There are people out there who do not like / disagree with Michael as a person BUT i have never heard one bad word said about him professionally? He can't sing? What cuckoo planet do they live on? Michael has always been able to sing even as a young child.

These people have no idea what they're on about!
    And you can
    Say the words
    Like you understand
    But the power's in believing
    So give yourself a chance</div></span>

Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 10
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

There are people out there who do not like / disagree with Michael as a person BUT i have never heard one bad word said about him professionally? He can&#39;t sing? What cuckoo planet do they live on? Michael has always been able to sing even as a young child.
    These people have no idea what they&#39;re on about![/b]
    Well of course and that&#39;s what I told this person I was arguing with but they told me that MJ sounded like "Elmo" to them when he was a child and that he could never sing period . I don&#39;t mean to be negative, but it just annoyed me that some people actually think Michael can&#39;t sing. Yesterday, I spent like a good hour arguing with this guy I know from school who insists that he&#39;s an MJ fan but says that MJ can&#39;t sing and "makes up for what he lacks in the vocal deparment by putting on a great show so people don&#39;t notice he can&#39;t sing". I don&#39;t understand how anyone who is a fan of MJ can possibly say that he can&#39;t sing. I&#39;ve also seen people say that on websites like s2smagazine, prince.org, etc. and I just find the whole thing to be ridiculous.

I mean just because Michael does not sing like Luther Vandross does not mean he can&#39;t sing. I&#39;m tired of people saying "Oh but MJ is no Luther", it&#39;s like who cares?! That doesn&#39;t mean anything. Luther had an amazing voice and so does Michael. I don&#39;t know what some people are thinking.

Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 139
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranCreated Blog entry10000 Experience Points

Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,082 Times in 377 Posts

some argue that singing in falsetto isn&#39;t technically all that "impressive"...and that anyone can do that.
    some argue that "begging, pleading, and grunting" isn&#39;t singing....which is common in most R&B songs...and it is why many feel that James brown isn&#39;t that great either lol

I guess it&#39;s all about taste. I know my ex roommate HATED anyone who sung in falsetto...which knocked off most of the artists I play on my computer lol. Michael, Debarge, Prince, Maxwell, Bee Gees, ect...lol

Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 26
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

I am REALLY shocked some people obviously feel this way.

As i said Michael has been criticized / made fun of etc about his personal life but i have NEVER heard anyone say he couldn&#39;t sing or dance.

Michael has a very unique voice - it&#39;s really high pitched for a man (though he can sing low as well) but this is why he&#39;s so good.

I have honestly never heard such a comment!

Well done for arguing the case though.....a case i never thought anyone would have to argue about!

Shocking!
    And you can
    Say the words
    Like you understand
    But the power&#39;s in believing
    So give yourself a chance</div></span>

Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 344
    Achievements:
    Three Friends1 year registered10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

lol, how absurd.

But your not alone, I&#39;ve heard people say that before. Even people on this board. They obviously know nothing about the voice.

I think Michael has a better voice then Luther Vandross, he has a better range, his control is out of this world, his timing is perfect and he has the most beautiful quality I&#39;ve ever heard. His voice is clean, tight and pure. Range equals power as well, which people don’t realize. Michael chooses simply to sing in a more stylized fashion then most, he doesn’t show his voice off by exampling his range/power and control that often. But if he wanted to, he would blow the competition out of the water easy. He does anyway.

Seth Riggs, who trains some of the greatest singers in history, including Vandross and Stevie Wonder, has said that working with Michael is like fine-tuning a Ferrari and that Michael is the most talented male vocalist he&#39;s ever heard.

Anyone who says Michael can&#39;t sing doesn&#39;t know jack all about singing.

Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 40
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Nobody was saying that Michael couldn&#39;t sing in 1982 when Thriller came out. Michael had to have a good voice to make an album that has a permanent place in history like that one does. I&#39;ve noticed that nobody started questioning his talent until 1995 and 2001 when the critics started trashing his music because they didn&#39;t like him as a person. And that crap was driven higher when the media ripped him apart over the WMA&#39;s last year. I don&#39;t take stock in a minority of people that wait for years to start criticizing the talent of singers who&#39;ve been making records for decades, especially starting only when the artist has been treated by the media as Michael has been treated. That is tacky and stupid at this point in time IMO. Plain and simple. Let those people have their opinions though. They&#39;ll never change their minds unless they want to.

Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 13
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

I can releate to this. I was listening to "Man In The Mirror", and one of my nieces walked in, and said MJ couldn&#39;t sing very well.
    Pfft!! total garbage. MJ can sing. If he couldn&#39;t, he wouldn&#39;t have sold so many albums, nor have had such a large amount of fans.
    MJ has so much to offer with his voice. He can make it sound high, or really deep. He&#39;s the most talented artist I&#39;ve ever listened to.

Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 104
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

I can releate to this. I was listening to "Man In The Mirror", and one of my nieces walked in, and said MJ couldn&#39;t sing very well.
    Pfft!! total garbage. MJ can sing. If he couldn&#39;t, he wouldn&#39;t have sold so many albums, nor have had such a large amount of fans.
    MJ has so much to offer with his voice. He can make it sound high, or really deep. He&#39;s the most talented artist I&#39;ve ever listened to.[/b]

lmao

Man In The Mirror.

that second verse, the way he build it up to the chorus and how he puts importance on certain words. some people have no idea.

also when he grunts and does those ad-libs etc... it&#39;s perfectly in time not like alot of singers who just do it to fill in time.

i normally do not when people sing in falsetto, but with Michael Jackson he doesn&#39;t sound squeaky like 95% who attempt.
    "Before you judge me, try hard to love me"...... no trying involved, it's easy. (1958 - Forever)

Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 344
    Achievements:
    Three Friends1 year registered10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Yeah giddyup, great points. Michael&#39;s falsetto is strong and beautiful. And you also mentioned his timing. It&#39;s perfect, the precisian he has when incorporating those musical sounds, the heehees, the hiccups and grunts, etc... He places them in perfect time with the music, his understanding of rhythm is outstanding. And his emphasis on the words, he has so much emotion in his voice, like my dad would say, he treats every word.

Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 15
    Achievements:
    1 year registered500 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

He doesn´t sing well in Man in the Mirror? Oh my LOL. I just don´t know what to say.

Thank you to TomV87 for the lovely siggy.

Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 144
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Arrow

IMO he has the most beautiful voice iv&#39;e ever heard!

Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 3
    Overall activity: 0.5%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

I think people forget that Michael is a singer first, or is one in general. They&#39;re so captivated and/or he&#39;s so well known for his stage presence and music videos that they forget about his voice.

Especially those of whom who aren&#39;t familiar with his Jackson 5/The Jacksons/Off the Wall work, when he was more focused on his voice than his dance steps.

Also, MJ has a tendency to make some weird gibberish in his songs with harsh delivery, so people don&#39;t focus on the singing just the video [of whatever that may be]. So if someone were to ask "Can Michael Jackson sing?" They&#39;ll probably respond like "uh...not really, he&#39;s okay."