MJ Can't Sing?

DirrtyDiana69

Proud Member
Why do some people say this? I've heard people say this before and I just don't understand it. How is it that some people think MJ can't sing? And they don't just mean recently, they mean that he could never and can't sing period, like he doesn't have a good voice. I just don't get this. Please someone explain this to me.

It's because those people are tasteless idiots.

There are people out there who do not like / disagree with Michael as a person BUT i have never heard one bad word said about him professionally? He can't sing? What cuckoo planet do they live on? Michael has always been able to sing even as a young child.

These people have no idea what they're on about!

There are people out there who do not like / disagree with Michael as a person BUT i have never heard one bad word said about him professionally? He can't sing? What cuckoo planet do they live on? Michael has always been able to sing even as a young child.
These people have no idea what they're on about![/b]

Well of course and that's what I told this person I was arguing with but they told me that MJ sounded like "Elmo" to them when he was a child and that he could never sing period :rolleyes: . I don't mean to be negative, but it just annoyed me that some people actually think Michael can't sing. Yesterday, I spent like a good hour arguing with this guy I know from school who insists that he's an MJ fan but says that MJ can't sing and "makes up for what he lacks in the vocal deparment by putting on a great show so people don't notice he can't sing". I don't understand how anyone who is a fan of MJ can possibly say that he can't sing. I've also seen people say that on websites like s2smagazine, prince.org, etc. and I just find the whole thing to be ridiculous.

I mean just because Michael does not sing like Luther Vandross does not mean he can't sing. I'm tired of people saying "Oh but MJ is no Luther", it's like who cares?! That doesn't mean anything. Luther had an amazing voice and so does Michael. I don't know what some people are thinking.

some argue that singing in falsetto isn't technically all that "impressive"...and that anyone can do that.
some argue that "begging, pleading, and grunting" isn't singing....which is common in most R&B songs...and it is why many feel that James brown isn't that great either lol

I guess it's all about taste. I know my ex roommate HATED anyone who sung in falsetto...which knocked off most of the artists I play on my computer lol. Michael, Debarge, Prince, Maxwell, Bee Gees, ect...lol

I am REALLY shocked some people obviously feel this way.

As i said Michael has been criticized / made fun of etc about his personal life but i have NEVER heard anyone say he couldn't sing or dance.

Michael has a very unique voice - it's really high pitched for a man (though he can sing low as well) but this is why he's so good.

I have honestly never heard such a comment!

Well done for arguing the case though.....a case i never thought anyone would have to argue about!

Shocking!

lol, how absurd.

But your not alone, I've heard people say that before. Even people on this board. They obviously know nothing about the voice.

I think Michael has a better voice then Luther Vandross, he has a better range, his control is out of this world, his timing is perfect and he has the most beautiful quality I've ever heard. His voice is clean, tight and pure. Range equals power as well, which people don’t realize. Michael chooses simply to sing in a more stylized fashion then most, he doesn’t show his voice off by exampling his range/power and control that often. But if he wanted to, he would blow the competition out of the water easy. He does anyway.

Seth Riggs, who trains some of the greatest singers in history, including Vandross and Stevie Wonder, has said that working with Michael is like fine-tuning a Ferrari and that Michael is the most talented male vocalist he's ever heard.

Anyone who says Michael can't sing doesn't know jack all about singing.

Nobody was saying that Michael couldn't sing in 1982 when Thriller came out. Michael had to have a good voice to make an album that has a permanent place in history like that one does. I've noticed that nobody started questioning his talent until 1995 and 2001 when the critics started trashing his music because they didn't like him as a person. And that crap was driven higher when the media ripped him apart over the WMA's last year. I don't take stock in a minority of people that wait for years to start criticizing the talent of singers who've been making records for decades, especially starting only when the artist has been treated by the media as Michael has been treated. That is tacky and stupid at this point in time IMO. Plain and simple. Let those people have their opinions though. They'll never change their minds unless they want to.

I can releate to this. I was listening to "Man In The Mirror", and one of my nieces walked in, and said MJ couldn't sing very well. :rolleyes:
Pfft!! total garbage. MJ can sing. If he couldn't, he wouldn't have sold so many albums, nor have had such a large amount of fans. :D
MJ has so much to offer with his voice. He can make it sound high, or really deep. He's the most talented artist I've ever listened to.

I can releate to this. I was listening to "Man In The Mirror", and one of my nieces walked in, and said MJ couldn't sing very well. :rolleyes:
Pfft!! total garbage. MJ can sing. If he couldn't, he wouldn't have sold so many albums, nor have had such a large amount of fans. :D
MJ has so much to offer with his voice. He can make it sound high, or really deep. He's the most talented artist I've ever listened to.[/b]

lmao

Man In The Mirror.

that second verse, the way he build it up to the chorus and how he puts importance on certain words. some people have no idea.

also when he grunts and does those ad-libs etc... it's perfectly in time not like alot of singers who just do it to fill in time.

i normally do not when people sing in falsetto, but with Michael Jackson he doesn't sound squeaky like 95% who attempt.

Yeah giddyup, great points. Michael's falsetto is strong and beautiful. And you also mentioned his timing. It's perfect, the precisian he has when incorporating those musical sounds, the heehees, the hiccups and grunts, etc... He places them in perfect time with the music, his understanding of rhythm is outstanding. And his emphasis on the words, he has so much emotion in his voice, like my dad would say, he treats every word.

I think people forget that Michael is a singer first, or is one in general. They're so captivated and/or he's so well known for his stage presence and music videos that they forget about his voice.

Especially those of whom who aren't familiar with his Jackson 5/The Jacksons/Off the Wall work, when he was more focused on his voice than his dance steps.

Also, MJ has a tendency to make some weird gibberish in his songs with harsh delivery, so people don't focus on the singing just the video [of whatever that may be]. So if someone were to ask "Can Michael Jackson sing?" They'll probably respond like "uh...not really, he's okay."

Michael is a very good singer-his voice is strong,but soft and gentle.it's really touching your heart:)
the people that say he can't sing are really stupid and heatfull.and telling after this you are a fan it's really a big fat lie!

Michael is a good singer but not the best. Me, a huge MJ fan must admit that the late Roy Orbison was simply the greatest singer in the world. He had the best voice. Period.

Michael is a good singer but not the best. Me, a huge MJ fan must admit that the late Roy Orbison was simply the greatest singer in the world. He had the best voice. Period.[/b]

:lol: I had this SAME argument with my uncle. Roy was a great singer, but I could make a lot of points as to why he's not as good as Michael. His range isn't as good, for starters, on a purely technical basis, Michael has him beat. In terms of quality, Roy had amazing quality, but listening to Michael on tracks like "Someone In The Dark" or "Time Waits for No One", I would give the edge in quality to Michael. His voice is more dynamic. Or listen to him singing the background vocals for "We Are The World" on the DVD. Crazy good.

Why do some people say this? I've heard people say this before and I just don't understand it. How is it that some people think MJ can't sing? And they don't just mean recently, they mean that he could never and can't sing period, like he doesn't have a good voice. I just don't get this. Please someone explain this to me.[/b]
:blink:

:rollin:

Michael is a good singer but not the best. Me, a huge MJ fan must admit that the late Roy Orbison was simply the greatest singer in the world. He had the best voice. Period.[/b]

Michael's "REAL" timbre of voice is VERY deeeeeeeep..... and he is able to sing in a VERY high key and in a VERY low key.... he can sing in WHENEVER way he wants to (most people , even his fans are not aware of his amazing range)......can any male singer do it?????
I DON'T think so :flowers:

Michael has a very unique voice - it's really high pitched for a man (though he can sing low as well) but this is why he's so good.[/b]

not really... but he is ABLE to sing that way and THAT is amazing :flowers:

Unfortunately there are people who think that way. Many of them use his lip-synching as an example to say: "Oh look he lip-synchs therefore he can't sing." :rolleyes:

Other than that, they probably aren't aware of how amazing and underrated he is as a vocalist.

or

they're just a bunch of tonedeaf, jealous A-holes!! :pth:

It's like saying MJ can't dance, pretty stupid comment.

I agree with Flo, people have forgotten unfortunately that Michael was a singer first because he spent the last 20 years being an entertainer and dancer who sings rather than a singer who dances.

This is the moment where Michael can prove them people wrong with the new album.

ok...my brothers well they don't love mj they make fun of him from time to time but they have never ever said that mj can't sing,my brothers love music and one of them is in a band so they have an ear for music!
so people who say mj can't sing HAVEN'T GOT A CLUE WHAT MUSIC IS!!
and thats what i think :yes:

I think people also say people who use multi-tracked vocals can't sing either but I don't even buy that logic. Apparently Michael didn't make it this long with just his looks and his dance moves. :lol: People act all tipsy when they hear about "rumors" he don't have it anymore like during the World Music Awards when we know he wasn't even trying to show off.

Naw, he wasn't, and his voice sounded amazing actually. You could only hear him on one clip though, the MTV News footage, and his voice sounded beautiful, his falsetto came through so clear and strong, so I don't know what people were tripping about.

Back