will you state Michael Jackson as the best dancer n pop music?

vanesa

Proud Member
Who else in this community board consider MJ as the best dancer in the pop music world, I believe that there's noone close to his INMENSE TALENT IN DANCE and in music of course, but we are talking 'bout dance here, I know that to be a MJ fan you must heve knowledge in dance, cause the very same Michael leads you to care about dance, i will really enjoy to read all your thoughts, and poetry or whatever you want to say about MJ's dance. :rolleyes:

Michael goes way beyond dance in pop music, he's one of the greatest dancers that ever lived, period, trained or untrained. Just as a pure dancer, forgetting his commitment and dedication to his music, as a pure dancer, Michael is one of the greatest to ever hit this planet.

I put him in the class of Astaire and Kelly and Davis Jr., placing his name alongsie people like Usher or Chris Brown or Justin Timberlake is to undermine Michael's actual ability. He doesn't belong there, he's so much better then those people that any comparison is comically absurd.

Like I was saying in the news thread yesterday, the reason Fred Astaire and Gene Kelly and Sammy Davis Jr. complimented Michael is because they saw him as just a pure dancer, not a singer who danced, like say James Brown or Jackie Wilson, they saw that his talent in that specific field was worth their recognition, because it was so huge. To them, he was just a dancer.

His talent is on the level of those greats, how clean he is, combined with that phenomenal speed, accuracy and fluidity, and the form he holds, his perfect lines, make his inital movement on the level of those guys. He's good enough to have made a career purely as a dancer, if he'd only had that to focus on and hadn't had the ability to sing at the world class level that he can, he would have been part of some dance company, as that company's star, easily.

The fact that he's as good as he is, without having ever had background training, should clue people into how gifted he truly is. He dances with people who have trained their entire lives to be career dancers and he makes them look sloppy. His movement is just perfect. He makes dancing look so easy, even when you know it's anything but. It's just fluid for him.

Also, just to add, Michael is also the most incredibly versatile dancer I've ever seen. He can adapt to and imitate or emulate any style or step. He isn't limited to any set genre or few steps, that's why when you give him a choreographed routine with new steps, he brings that same accuracy, speed and ease that he has regularly.

...how clean he is[/b]

Im glad you pointed that out, WBSS. Many people think its all about the jerking and sudden movements of the body that create a great dance effect, but it's actually how well each move is done that brings it all to life...makes the viewer wanna learn how to do it too! :D

Totally bnip. You can have speed, but if the step isn't executed with clarity and without excess movement, if the line you create isn't straingt, then it counts for nothing. That's what makes Michael so special, his ability to be lightening quick, but still perform the movements with total precisian and neatness, you can see everything he does, each adjustment he makes is as clear as day. A lot of dancers can't do that.

I agree with WBSS.

His ability is beyond pop genre. Michael Jackson in the same sentence with Fred Astaire, Baryshnikov, Bob Fosse to name a few, that speaks a lot of volume on his ability and standard in dancing.

when I talk to people about Michael Jackson I allways say that he isnt just another pop star who sings and dances, he's on a whole different level which can be called legendary

I've always thought of MJ as a PURE Dancer, to me is the best dancer in the world, i dare to say that he is beyond this world in dance, he is completely versatile and his speed is just exceptional, of course he's at Sammy, Fred and Gene's level, i didn't put as the topic title he is best dancer because sometimes even in this very same board some desagree and start to throw down my topic.
Wannabestartinsomething you are a masterin describing Michael's Talent, God, the only thing taht bothers me is that people don't give MJ the credit really deserves, i mean i've heard how they treat him as some litle star who sings and dancec like (NO HATE) Justin Timberlake who is good but at a very very different and lower but veeeeeeeeeeeeeeery lower level than MJ, the same i said to usher and to all the others, shame on the blockers of real talent, i mean the journalism in music and dance that elevates just anyone as the next MJ,that really anoys me sooooooooo much that God i better stop before i get MADDDDD.

Don't worry about people disagreeing or trying to pull your subject down vanesa. Some people just like to argue for arguments sake. But if they want to, you just have to debate your point. You state the point, and then support it with facts, and if they don't like it, then who cares, lol. A lot of people don't even care what you have to say, they just want to ruffle your feathers, lol.

But thank you for your compliment, I appreciate that. People who compare the names you mentioned above to Michael either are doing so on purpose to insult and undermine Michael's level of talent or they truly are ignorant as to why Michael is gifted as he is, they don't understand what it is that makes a great dancer, or singer, or performer, etc... If they did, they would see how ridiculous the comparisons actually are. Michael is on another level entirely, he's a genius, and as a dancer, I've never seen another person as naturally gifted as he. I mean, watch him in "Jam" or "In The Closet", he's blindingly fast but so crisp and clean cut in each movement he makes. Watch him in "Smooth Criminal" or "Thriller" or any one of his videos; it looks as simple as breathing for him. He's razor sharp, every step he executes is tight and controlled, his movement in between each pose is so fluid and easy, he doesn't ever thrash about or appear in any way out of place, he always is in the correct position to glide to each new step, as I said earlier, there's no excess movement. His lines are so straight and clean, extended out and not lagging in any way, and he holds each pose in that perfectly straight and clean state just long enough for you to see everything clearly, every angle his limbs and torso have made, before he seamlessly moves to the next pose. It's like each step is born off of one another, nothing is chopped up or sectioned off, it's all effortlessly connected and fluid.

And he's so intricate as a dancer as well. People don't notice always, but Michael makes so many subtle, small adjustments from head to toe each time he dances, each one as perfect and as thought out as the as the final poses, he moves each part of his body with precisian, down to his fingers, his upper body, his head, everything, there's nine million things going on with Michael when he moves, but he makes it all work together so easily and smoothly that it looks so simple and clear.

I know I keep repeating myself, I'm sorry. I just go on and on sometimes, it's like I'm trying to put into words what I see on the screen, but man, that's hard, lol.

I know I keep repeating myself, I'm sorry. I just go on and on sometimes,[/b]

see, y'all have gotten her started now. she ain't quitting until she's bobyslammed everyone of y'all into believing that michael is one of the ten greatest dancers to have graced the planet.

no, no wbss! j/k, lol. write on, girl (pun intended). you've enlightened my perspective on his genius and you articulate what i've always seen but never could express myself about michael the dancer.

I know, lol, I'm such a dork!

You can't put it in words easily, that's why I keep posting, cause I'm never satisfied that I've gotten what I see down right, lol.

And he's so intricate as a dancer as well. People don't notice always, but Michael makes so many subtle, small adjustments from head to toe each time he dances, each one as perfect and as thought out as the as the final poses, he moves each part of his body with precisian, down to his fingers, his upper body, his head, everything, there's nine million things going on with Michael when he moves, but he makes it all work together so easily and smoothly that it looks so simple and clear.[/b]
Its a good thing you pointed that out, Nicole. The fedora is one of thos adjustements he makes. I think its incredibly tricky to dance with a hat on.If you look at the SMOOTH CRIMINAL video or performances, Michael always fixes the position of his fedora every now.One does not notice the fedora adjustments as it looks like part of thee dance routine when it really isn't.

Thanks to all of you specially wbss, you are a genius, truly, girl you express everything so well, i never stop reading once i start one of your incredible posts, you should do a book a bout Michael's talent, i know that you can do one of the best described books on Michael Jackson's great talent. I will do what you said, i will defend my points with supporting facts, cause well there are so many.
Michael means so much to me artiscally speaking, but also emotionally he connets the two arts so amazingly i can stop looking at him over and over again, i never can seem to get enough almost like adictive in the good way, i mean MJ is the only true creator

It's no problem vanesa, I'm sure you can tell I like talking about this kind of stuff, lol. No, really? Haha. Thank you for your compliments, I really do appreciate that.

And good observation BONGANI, it's small, subtle movements like that which people rarely notice, he hits so many positions before arriving at the final pose, but it's done so well and so fluidly, each interim step is as well executed as the final pose, that you don't notice it or it doesn't look at all out of place, it looks to be as much a part of the choreogrophey as anything else, because it's all so seamlessly connected.

Already when Michael was a baby, he danced to the rhytm of the washing machine. :D

No, really, he's so good! It's really hard for me to say anything worthwhile after WBSS's excellent posts, but wow, is he great! If you ever watched "The Jacksons show" from the 70s, you will see him do some dance moves there, which are just incredible. And of course, he would be just great now too, thirty years later...

Hes great and i have tried dancing like him but its impossible so the people who can i take my hat off to you :D

He gets that honor hands down. Very, very few people will deny that (and the few people who do are doing so because they like someone else who they do not want anyone to outdue).

He is the only dancer that ever gave me goosebumbs to watch. I was just gobsmacked the first time I saw him dance and it doesn't go away. I could just watch him forever I think. He is magic.

I have met haters, who believe anyone can dance better than Michael. But they're so stupid, that they actually don't even deserve our anger, even though I hate them as much as they hate Michael. I wonder what they think is good dancing, if they just think Michael "spins around a lot".

Anyone who say's Michael can't dance doesn't know anything about dancing, either that or they're blind. Plain and simple.

Anyone who say's Michael can't dance doesn't know anything about dancing, either that or they're blind. Plain and simple.[/b]
I could have never said it better congratulations girl, i will have to start to speak like this myself

Actually I think it's Michael's dancing that sets him apart from others the most. His music and vocals are often outstanding, and sometimes pure genius, but his dancing is, to me, what makes him one of the greatest artists in history. It's the way he's manmaged to combine the movement styles of James Brown with Charlie Chaplain and Fred Astaire and also - not many people mention this - martial arts. Like so much martial arts Michael's movement is about the harmony of oppoistes - that inteplay between the fast and slow, the gentle relaxed movements followed by sharp, powerful commanding ones. No dancer has integrated so many different styles together so succussfully as Michael, I just hope that the new album brings with it a new showstopping performance to top the 1995 VMA's!

Not only will I stand by the fact he is a best dancer in pop music. But best dancer in history.

This is what I see from a dancers prospective..

** There are several dance styles, dancers study the dance style and profect it. Is Michael the best tap-dancer? NO! is he the greatest popper? NO! Is the the greatest Jazz dancer? NO! But I would like you to ask some a tap dancer to Pop as good as Michael, or a Popper to Tap-dance like Michael.. Get where I am going?? He is BY FAR, the most versatile dancer. He is not the greatest at any ONE particular style, but he can do AT LEAST the basics of most (maybe) all dances. Picture a ballet dancer doing the krump.. LOL!! I bet you can picture Michael doing it. Picture a modern Dancer Popping??

I think I have explained enough.. :) I could go on 4ever..

not many people mention this - martial arts. Like so much martial arts Michael's movement is about the harmony of oppoistes - that inteplay between the fast and slow, the gentle relaxed movements followed by sharp, powerful commanding ones
Toenail you couldn't said better, see the martial arts are a very very marked art in MJ's unique style, yes it is true this is not so mentioned as it should

Back