Thread: Michael Jackson He Came He Moonwalked He Conquered

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger Second Class25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,357 Times in 522 Posts

I am going to have a mishmash of WBSS' and mello1's views. Sometimes the obvious needs re-stating for those who would like to forget and for those who don't know but, by the same token, it is time that Michael get more recognition for the works of art he created post-Thriller.
    Michael Jackson (1958 - 2009): You Do Not Define Him So You Cannot Confine Him!

Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 344
    Overall activity: 0.4%
    Achievements:
    Three Friends1 year registered10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

I don't comprehend how saying that you can't appreciate music without appreciating MJ's contribution to it, or MJ being the definitive star of the 80's, or how MJ set the standards for music videos, or how MJ is his own unique brand or that MJ's music is still relevant can possibly be boring. No, it wasn't some long, deep articulate, symbolistic composition, but there was nothing Legend stated that wasn't true, however wack you thought it was. Further, it is HIS opinion about what HE believes is the definitive portion of MJ's work and what he felt MJ represented as a child artist. What about his other works? What about his artistry or his singing as an adult? What about it? However you may feel about all of the other things that you find as important, you miss the point here.

During these days, it is rare that any artist would take the time to write anything of any length about the significance of Michael Jackson as an artist. More importantly, anyone at that level who would do so would not likely be such a connoisseur of all things MJ like the peeps who choose to follow everything that he ever does on a daily basis. We cannot get into any deeper discussion about this guy with those who aren't hardcore fans without them understanding the basics first. What is so obvious to you and I is a revelation to those who don't give it much thought.

And to that, I'm glad that John Legend took the time to recognize.[/b]
    And what I predicted would be said just was. You're condecending, as usual.

It's boring because it's unperceptive and reads like a "Did you know?" fact sheet. He did get the bit about the moonwalk wrong, that wasn't true, so... kind of kills the whole title, lol.

The point in my critisism of the article is that, it's been heard many a times before, "Off The Wall" and "Thriller" are constantly harrolded by the media and press, but it is done so constantly, that people may be led to believe that those two albums were the only solo efforts Michael ever produced. It's sad, I think. It's so easy to talk about how great Michael "used to be", these days, it's much easier to act as though he didn't exsist after 1984. You don't have to be a "connoisseur" of all things MJ to know he made albums post-Thriller.

Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 194
    Achievements:
    Three Friends1 year registered5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

And what I predicted would be said just was. You're condecending, as usual.

It's boring because it's unperceptive and reads like a "Did you know?" fact sheet. He did get the bit about the moonwalk wrong, that wasn't true, so... lol[/b]
    I'm not being condescending. You are overreacting, as usual.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

I am going to have a mishmash of WBSS' and mello1's views. Sometimes the obvious needs re-stating for those who would like to forget and for those who don't know but, by the same token, it is time that Michael get more recognition for the works of art he created post-Thriller.[/b]
    I think that MJ deserves more recognition....period. That is why the last part of Legend's op piece is so unfortunate because it blocks MJ from getting his just due in these discussions of great music influences....

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

I'm not being condescending. You are overreacting, as usual.[/b]
    No, you are, your tone is dripping with it.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

No, you are, your tone is dripping with it.[/b]
    Okay. Whatever you say.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Lovely.

Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Overall activity: 0.5%
    Achievements:
    Three Friends1 year registered1000 Experience Points

*~Neverland in my dreams... but yeh, ONT, CANADA.~*
    Level
    Thanks

That article spoke the truth about many things. I have to agree though on the ending, I don't really see Michael doing the Vegas act, not that there's anything wrong with that....I just can't see him doing it.

Legend really does have a strong sense of what a artist is. I'm thankful we have those around who can set the record straight.

Thanks for posting this BTW. Alwas love hearing the truth spoken from other artists.

*~ Forever Michael...my 'Musical Muse'...~*

Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 4
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered250 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

The article was nice, but ended with such a depressing tone. It's clear that Michael is trying or has intentions to come back to his artistry in some way. I think he wants it, but putting himself out there is probably harder than it used to be.

Anyway, I'm glad John Legend wrote that. Clearly he's a fan, and so what if he didn't say Michael was a perfect musical entity that the entire industry should bow to. (Well..you know he kind of did) What more do people want, you know? Not everyone is so biased to where they can only say good things. The respect that he has for Michael shows and that's what is important.

Nicole, did John Legend diss you at some point? You've always been so negative towards him and it just seem unwarranted and strange.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

I just think he's a boring artist. I didn't like his comments particulary. He got some facts wrong, he was predictable and took the safe rout, imo.

Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 137
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

That's sooooo good!!!

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

I just think he's a boring artist. I didn't like his comments particulary. He got some facts wrong, he was predictable and took the safe rout, imo.[/b]
    A few months ago we got an article about Chris Tucker. Chris was asked about when he testifed during the trial and he basically said that he wasn't there to take sides, he was just there to do what he had to. That's a very safe answer on his part because you know he wanted to say more.

But still you cheered him on and said he was great.

You seem to be mixing your feelings about him as an artist into how you feel about what he said. If he were someone you already liked, I have a feeling you'd be less worked up about it.

John Legend may be boring to you, maybe mello piano music isn't your thing. But he has all the qualities of a talented musician. So he's not your cup of tea. You don't have to eat him alive for it.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Did I praise Tucker for that? If I did, then I didn't mean it, I was probably saying that so as not to piss certain members off, you'd be surprised how often I do that. I think that's a lame answer on Chris' part, but truth be told, I know Chris was saying that for his own benifit and didn't mean it, as of late, he's been uber supportive of Michael.

Anyway, I'm not saying that because I don't like Legend as an artist. I'm saying that because that's what I think. I think his comment at the end sums up his feelings towards Michael. He's made another iffy comment regarding Michael in some clip someone posted here a few months back, I forget exactly what he said, but it was weird. He's on the fence, fine, but what bugs me more is his neglect for Michael's other work. That's something that irks me in every write up about Michael, whether supportive or not. It aggitates me that he never gets any recognition for that work. The article itself was poorly written and not very expressive, thus I feel it had no real impact. He has the qualities of a skilled musician, not a talented one. His voice is average, at best, his piano playing is average, at best, his songs are average, at best. That's all my opinion.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Ahh there you go with the elitist everyone is average but Michael stuff. I'm pretty sure he could outdo Michael on the piano anyday.

Goodnight then. Tada.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

For real, give me a break. I mean he's average compared to the likes of say, Elton John. Did I mention ANYWHERE in that post that Michael is a better piano player? No, don't put words in my mouth. You make an awful lot of assumptions Vicky.