Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Serious topic: Lil' MJ solo records in Motown (early solo years)

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger Second Class25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,340 Times in 515 Posts

Back in the 70s people were talking about Michael. I remember hearing family members discussing him with a kind of excitement that was infectious. They knew that he was something special. My mom loved Ben and we rocked that Christmas album like there was no tomorrow - especially Little Drummer Boy. Nobody sings that song like Michael. I can't help saying he had that indefinable quality that just said 'star'.

He just sounded so assured, so comfortable. He knew he was going places.
    Michael Jackson (1958 - 2009): You Do Not Define Him So You Cannot Confine Him!

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks

Back in the 70s people were talking about Michael. I remember hearing family members discussing him with a kind of excitement that was infectious. They knew that he was something special. My mom loved Ben and we rocked that Christmas album like there was no tomorrow - especially Little Drummer Boy. Nobody sings that song like Michael. I can't help saying he had that indefinable quality that just said 'star'.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks

Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 118
    Overall activity: 0.4%
    Achievements:
    Three Friends1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Default Re: Serious topic: Lil' MJ solo records in Motown (early solo years)

I like earlier songs like WE'RE ALMOST THERE, because Michael's adult voice started manifesting itself in those tracks.Honestly I still have to grow into his stuff as a 14 year old and downwards.With the exception of WHO'S LOVIN YOU, I don't know but there's something about that song and the way he's singing it.How the hell did that little boy learn to emote like that? I appreciated his ability to emote more when I saw a 16 year old Chris Brown trying to emote on his song SAY GOODBYE, he looks so funny trying and I sympathise with him because emoting is not easy.Then I think of how 11 year old Michael easily did it even though he did not nkow what the hell he was singing about.You gotta appreciate Michael, you really have to..
    SOUTH AFRICA'S BIGGEST MICHAEL JACKSON FAN!!! CAN YOU FEEL IT?

Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 187
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Three Friends1 year registeredTagger First Class10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

But that's the beauty of it. Michael KNEW he was too young to be singing about love and love lost and all of that but he FELT it and vocally he was always much older than he seemed. That's why there's a paradox to how he carried on with life as he got older and started to feel like a kid at heart that needed love. It made for an interesting combination. That's what makes his earlier solo records special for me, that's why I made this topic so people could understand where Mike was coming from at the time.

"OK, first of all, I have this skin disorder that destroys the pigmentation of the skin. It's something that I cannot help. Okay? But when people make up stories that I don't wanna be what I am, it hurts me. It's a problem for me, okay? I can't control it. But let's reverse it. What about all the millions of people who sit out in the sun to become other than what they are?" -- Michael Jackson (1993)

Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 32
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Three Friends1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

TMan this is an awesome thread

Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 187
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Three Friends1 year registeredTagger First Class10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Thanks, Rick!

"OK, first of all, I have this skin disorder that destroys the pigmentation of the skin. It's something that I cannot help. Okay? But when people make up stories that I don't wanna be what I am, it hurts me. It's a problem for me, okay? I can't control it. But let's reverse it. What about all the millions of people who sit out in the sun to become other than what they are?" -- Michael Jackson (1993)

Overall activity: 99.4%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger First ClassVeteranOverdrive50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,399 Times in 894 Posts

Default 1972 American Bandstand interview

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DuranDuran For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 374
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Nice thread, I agree with everything. Especially this:
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanK View Post
    I agree with this subject totally. I have alwasy been dissapointed, especially when I look back through vintage Jacksons performaces... why do we, even as fans celebrate only the post Thriller MJ... when totality wise... he has always evolved and been groundbreaking from a small child and sexy symbol teen to the genius we recognize today. He is so much more than Thriller, Bad, Off The Wall, Dangerous and Invincible. He's all that and more. I wish people and fans included focussed on the whole picture one day. It would be totally osmosis for anyone to not like or at least consider the magic of his abilities then.