Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Serious topic: Lil' MJ solo records in Motown (early solo years)

Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 20
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    Veteran500 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Talking

Ok, for those that want an escape from Neverland leasing/comeback needing topics, I have to wonder about what you guys are thinking:

Over the years, I keep hearing some fans say that the first solo albums to be associated with Michael Jackson's name were "not" really "his solo albums" but much less "Jackson 5 albums with Michael's name in front of it".

It can be very easy to denounce it but in all honesty, Michael's debut as a soloist in late 1971 is the main reason why Mike got inducted to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.

And he's always influential from his teenage years work as he is from his adult work. But for those that don't think otherwise, why do you NOT think these albums represent Michael?

For those that don't know, this was the total of records Mike released while on the Motown label:

1972: Got to Be There
    1972: Ben
    1973: Music & Me
    1975: Forever, Michael
    1976: The Best of Michael Jackson
    1981: One Day in Your Life (mixture of compilations and "newer" tracks)
    1984: Farewell My Summer Love (look up before)

I still feel in some ways that Michael's solo Motown years have been overlooked because he didn't "put input" into it.

His work from 1971-75 can easily make him one of the greatest singers of all time (and this has nothing to do with "pop" and "R&B").

Anyway, talk amongst yourselves.

War is not the answer for only love can conquer hate... - Marvin Gaye

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Also (I know I'm gonna get it but whatever) but I feel his Motown years showcased his influences more so and how he emulated them even before he became MICHAEL JACKSON, you can tell Michael was going places when he did songs within minutes of reading the lyric sheet like "One Day in Your Life" for example. That was a fascinating story that I read about it.

To be honest, I consider Michael the bastard child of Joe Tex, David Ruffin, Marvin Gaye, Mavis Staples, James Brown, Jackie Wilson and Sammy Davis all rolled up into one person.

Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 10
    Overall activity: 0.4%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Also (I know I'm gonna get it but whatever) but I feel his Motown years showcased his influences more so and how he emulated them even before he became MICHAEL JACKSON, you can tell Michael was going places when he did songs within minutes of reading the lyric sheet like "One Day in Your Life" for example. That was a fascinating story that I read about it.

To be honest, I consider Michael the bastard child of Joe Tex, David Ruffin, Marvin Gaye, Mavis Staples, James Brown, Jackie Wilson and Sammy Davis all rolled up into one person.[/b]
    Before MJ was The KOP, he was a soul man! If he had kept on singing soul/r&b I think he could have easily been hung alongside all those artists you mentioned. Michael recorded some great stuff before "Off The Wall" but those albums are often overlooked among fans and the public alike for some reason which is too bad because there are some real gems on his earlier albums. I love songs like "Cinderella Stay Awhile", "Aint No Sunshine", "All The Things You Are", "With A Child's Heart", "Got To Be There", etc. And although quite a few songs on those albums were covers, I think he did them justice, I even prefer his version of certain songs (i.e. his cover of The Stylistic's "People Make The World Go 'Round" is better than the orignal to me).

I get what some people are saying when they say that Mike's early solo albums were really more like J5 albums though and i'm sure a good case could be made for that, but for me personally that's not the case. I think his solo albums had their own unique sound. I def. see those albums as Michael albums and not J5. I look at them being seperate.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Yep, and most of the stuff on Michael's solo albums were pretty much ballads or intensely soulful stuff ("Ain't No Sunshine", "Everybody's Somebody's Fool", "Got to Be There", "Ben", "Music & Me", "I'll Come Home to You", "Dear, Michael", "One Day in Your Life", etc.) while most of the J5 material were uptempo funky stuff that reflected the group. I think the only reason people claim it was J5-esque because Michael recorded with the Corporation, the same musicians that did J5's work did Michael's (and Jermaine's early solo Motown) work and Michael's voice with background singers assigned to sound like they were his brothers when in MANY cases they weren't.

Truth is though, I feel Michael had more soul in his teenage body than most singers twice his age. You know he never went through the stuff he was singing, but when he sung, it was almost as if you wanted to tap Michael on the shoulder and say "it's okay, little man".

Actually, I would've loved it if Michael did Donny Hathaway's records back then. I think he could be as convincing as he was when he covered Stevie, the Tempts and Marvin.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Even in his "formative" years, I feel he was already "there", you know? He did more things musically than most teen idols his age did. Since of course he had to work twice as hard but you work at what you got. It would thrill me if he sung his old Motown stuff in concert one day and no NOT the Jackson 5 records, his solo stuff too.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Also his version of "With a Child's Heart" is LEGENDARY!

Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Overall activity: 0.5%
    Achievements:
    Three Friends1 year registered1000 Experience Points

*~Neverland in my dreams... but yeh, ONT, CANADA.~*
    Level
    Thanks

Beautiful points Timmy and Diana. I agree, those were amoung the best years of Michael's musical development. It's where he came from and what made him the artist that he is today. Very few artists can say that their careers or experience has touched so many genres of music. I often wondered why these early works are also not as revered as they should be.

Michael truly has the musical expertese that is given to only a chosen few.

BTW, I love that song, 'One Day in Your Life.'

*~ Forever Michael...my 'Musical Muse'...~*

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

And also I think it's one of his greatest periods because of how he transitioned from boy soprano to his trademark tenor.

Musically I dig most of the songs' arrangements, I loved the introductions to "Ain't No Sunshine" and "I Wanna Be Where You Are" for example! Especially the latter song with its staccato keyboard riff!

Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Overall activity: 0.5%
    Achievements:

*~Neverland in my dreams... but yeh, ONT, CANADA.~*
    Level
    Thanks

YES!! I can't believe the notes that he hit in 'I Wanna Be Where You Are,' it's amazing. You can tell where he gets his passion from today while he sings!

I have to say though that if I have that one favorite all-time song, it would be, 'Happy.' I LOVE that song. They reasons, I love the way that he builds-up the strength as the song progresses. It just gets more powerful and fuller as he approaches the end of the song, and he's still able to maintain the molody and not be overbearing. You get a real sense of his urgency as he sings, and the narrative is great, you actually can see the story unfolding.

Wow.....you've started a great topic Tim! :lol:

*~ Forever Michael...my 'Musical Muse'...~*

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Thanx. We all need a break from the other threads. :lol:

Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 109
    Overall activity: 0.4%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

definately a great topic Timmy! i agree w/what u've said so far i remember when i first started exploring the early years of MJ way back when and was absolutely sucked into the beauty of the songs and wondered why they didn't get talked about more... but yet all the fans i knew agreed w/me. for a good year i think all i listened to was mj pre-off the wall.

if u haven't heard the albums timmy's talkin bout plz go out and pick em up...

Green Day Rocks My Socks! (thanks to LJ for the sig)

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Yep, he released some beautiful material back then. ^_^ Even if you don't get the albums, the songs are probably posted on YouTube somewhere.

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger Second Class25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,343 Times in 517 Posts

Timmy84, when I discovered Michael in 1983 I had to do my research about his musical past. I knew of him but there was alot of stuff that I did not connect with him. I got a copy of Music and Me and it absolutely blew me away. His voice was so confident for someone so young. I loved Morning Glow, With A Child's Heart, Happy, Johnny Raven, Too Young and the title track.

You're right - he was already 'there'. I would have too young to appreciate it back in the early 70s but I definitely appreciate it now.

One Day In Your Life is my fave MJ tune. As a child I felt the pain, the longing, all the emotion in that song. A local journalist considers it the best vocal performance on a song EVER in terms of truthfulness and intensity.

Ben and Got To Be There are classics.

I think Michael's work with Motown laid the foundation for his later solo work.
    Michael Jackson (1958 - 2009): You Do Not Define Him So You Cannot Confine Him!

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

It did. I always considered him as AMONG Motown's main men alongside Marvin, Stevie, Rick, Eddie Kendricks (post-Temptations) and Smokey. And like Smokey (as we all know), he was as good solo as he was with a group and I hate that he's often left off sometimes as a Motown artist because he was in more ways than one.

Motown released an Anthology set of most of Michael's solo material featuring SOME J5 work but I think the album will give you a good outlook of why Michael was adored as he is now. Michael's transition is similar to Stevie's in the sense both of them gradually went from teen stars to pop legends.

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,778 Times in 2,239 Posts

well, peopel consider off the wall his "first solo' album.. Not as a literal term but it was his first MAJOR solo album.

1972: Got to Be There
    1972: Ben
    1973: Music & Me
    1975: Forever, Michael
    1976: The Best of Michael Jackson
    1981: One Day in Your Life (mixture of compilations and "newer" tracks)
    1984: Farewell My Summer Love (look up before)

All of these were not full albums.. They are singles. ALSO, it was his first work away from Joseph being a maneger, the control he had over the music.. It was the first full album that was HIM..

I get what you are saying, that sometimes bugs me to. But I end up saying the same thing they do, because I get it.. I guess loL!
    Walk in truth, stand IN JUSTICE https://twitter.com/rasheedKOPV?s=09