The World Music Awards memories, a year today

~Lindsey~

Guests
It's a year today since Michael Jackson received the Diamond award for the biggest selling album ever and his Guiness World Record certificates at Earls Court London at the World Music Awards 2006. What are your memories?

I remember this day last year I was at school in the morning in a double business lesson and I told the teacher I had to leave school for a "dentist appointment"< they didn't know my dentist was Michael Jackson lol -they guessed the day after though. So I got picked up by my family, went home got changed put my fedora on and we started the drive to London to see Michael Jackson. I'd been a fan for 5 years and this was the first time I was going to see him and because I'd only got the tickets 2 weeks before it hadn't really sank in. When we got there I met my friend Nittan-"innocent" off this board and her sister. My Mum had got a ticket aswell so we started lining up together to go inside and we had butterflies because we couldn't believe we were going to see him. A few people in the line started talking to us because my hat obviously said who I was there to see and everyone was there for the same reason. Everyone seemed excited discussing his songs and their fandom whilst waiting to go inside and some male fans were dressed in Michael Jackson style suits and some girls had Michael Jackson flags wrapped around them, the first time I'd ever been with a load of fans.

We had our ticket ripped and went inside the arena and saw Rihanna rehearsing but stood and watched people coming through on the red carpet-hoping Michael was going to come through. We heard music start and rushed inside and everyone started to perform and were receiving their rewards but they were not really getting the response they were wanting as everyone was hyped up chanting "Michael king of pop" and other chants so celebs started saying " we know who your waiting for" and things to get us to scream. We had run down from our seats to get closer and stood near a barrier at the front of our seating block but halfway through the show security came over and asked us to go back-so we knew it was about time for Michael. Everyone had the same impression and started stamping their feet so the seating blocks were vibrating and it was so loud with people screaming and clapping then Chris Brown was introduced and Thriller started playing so as soon as the first couple of notes were played we ran back down to where we were and everyone was singing along-it was the loudest response to a song that night. I've been to concerts before but I've never heard cheering so loud. The screaming and clapping continued after Thriller came on and as Beyonce started to appear a voice-over started up saying Beyonce is coming on to give an award and we knew who it was going to be for. The screaming and clapping continued with every mention about Michael. Then he came on. I couldn't believe it I saw him walk on stage and I didn't know what to think. Everyone was screaming and stood up for him and he was smiling. I kept thinking I should scream and clap as loud as I could because it's not likely that I'm going to have this opportunity to show my support again but I was torn between being completely stunned and screaming my head off. Sound stupid but I couldn't get over the fact that Michael Jackson was stood in the same room as me. Then he went to the microphone and everytime he spoke everyone screamed louder and he was just smiling and looking out into the crowd and after about the 3rd of 4th attempt he managed to keep going and people started to quieten down to listen. I knew it was Michael then , his voice:wub:I couldn't concentrate on what he was saying because I just couldn't believe he was stood infront of us, I remember when he said thank-you to his children after each name everyone cheered and when he talked about being a little boy in Indiana it just brought home once again how far he's come. Everyone was screaming his name and clapping all the time he was stage and he was enjoying it, I got this feeling, sounds bit silly but it was like he had an aura around him that everyone felt together when he was there. When he walked off, the stage went black then there seemed to be a white light glow but it turned out to be Rihanna's performance starting-i think everyone really wanted him to perform and a black stage with a white light screams out Billie Jean.

At the end of the show we looked down from our block and saw a children's choir getting ready to go onstage and we'd already heard that he would be performing We Are The World. The song started to play and the choir started to sing then he walked on from the side of the stage and everyone started cheering and screaming again. Those children were so lucky to shake his hand! He started to walk down the catwalk part of the stage getting closer to the fans below-imagine the screaming getting louder then when he started to take off his jacket when you think it couldn't get much louder it did. I think at this point I screamed out OMG lol ^_^ He tried to sing into the microphone he was handed but I don't think it was working-the cd was too loud and all you could hear was bruce springsteen and stevie wonder and they expected him to sing over the top of it:rolleyes: The people nearer the front said they heard him sing the chorus and when he went to go off stage he said "How u doin?" And you knew he didn't want to leave but he was kinda getting ushered off the stage at that point by Chris Brown maybe they thought we couldn't take much more I don't know but i heard the day after that they had broken their curfew which was why the We are the world performance wasn't well organised.

We got out of the arena and at that point I think i cried because I couldn't believe we'd seen him lol then when everyone was outside we saw blacked out cars going by with security and everyone started to run after it lol so i'm guessing Michael Jackson was in it:p

Seeing Michael Jackson there was one of the best moments of my life, I can't believe it's a year today, so what are your memories?

Ohhh...memories :wub:
I couldn't have described it better, Lindsey.

I will never forget my trip from Italy to London :lol: I've decided at the very last moment to go to WMAs, I hadn't even got ticket for the show :mello:. I arrived in London @ 2 a.m., wandering around city 'til 3 a.m. I think to reach my friends' hotel, next to WMA's...yeah..no dimes to use a call box for a taxi 'cause I had just changed my money @ airport.:lol:
Then...reached my friends...spent about 40£ for just 3 hours-sleeping. :mello:
And then the great day arrived. Thanks God, when I was buying tickets from Paul for the party, I asked if someone had one WMA's ticket to sell...and...there was actually one! :mello: I couldn't believe it! And it was a standing tickets!!:cool:
The rest is history...hours sitting down in the "hall"...pushed back from security when they were giving away those yellow wristlets :mad:...then....I remember only..run run runnnnn :lol:...finally....2nd row!! :cool:. I couldn't believe myself, just 12 hours before I was still in Italy and now I was right there...waiting for the King to show up!
Oh what a night!

Thanks you so much for that .. :shakehands:
It was awesome the way you desribed your experience made me feel I was there with you - I just went back and watched the video of Michael at the WMA's _ I love watching him get ALL the love and credit he deserves - You could tell he was very happy and didnt want to leave . I love the part where the kids choir was bowing and waving approval toward him at the end of the stage that was soooo cool _You are so lucky to have been there.

That was awesome stuff Lindsey...and wow what trip from all the way from Itality!!

Ive been watching that WMA appearance alot recently and your story made it all the more real..and I almost cant believe an year had passed. feels like it was only a afew months ago...actually thats the scariest revelation for me today! LOL

OMG :D I know I can't even believe it has been a year since WMA 2006!!!!!!!! :D WOW and what a day it was :D

beautifull.. What a great moment. I wish I was there..

Fond memories /
I loved how MJ was dressed/ It was nice to see him
being honored for his hard work
Last year 2006 we were all excited about Michael being presented with the Diamond award at WMA /
This year 2007 it's the magazines L'uomo Vogue/Ebony etc
I wonder if next year 2008 will be the release
of the new album :unsure:

Last edited:
Fond memories /
I loved how MJ was dressed/ It was nice to see him
being honored for his hard work
Last year 2006 we were all excited about Michael being presented with the Diamond award at WMA /
This year 2007 it's the magazines Lumo Vogue/Ebony etc
I wonder if next year 2008 will be the release
of the new album :unsure:

Yes, I remember that day as well...I was debating weather to go or not and at the last minute I decided not to leave coz my dad was very sick.
But, I was there while he visited Japan and it was mesmerizing!!! I hated to come back to the states.

I really pray tho that 2008 will be it for the New album. I an feel it coming with all the sightings lately. I can hardly wait!!!:D

Wow...beautiful memories. One year? Time flies by!
I remember being so excited and how happy we all were to see him again and too hear his little "interview" with BBC.
Everyone was talking about it and his "comeback". LOL.

It was more MJ news than WMA's. Michael Jackson At The World Music Awards than Michael Jackson At The World Music Awards! :cool::p^_^

Back