Chris Brown's Off the Wall move :p

SmoothCollins

Proud Member
Heyyy,

I just watched Chris Brown's christmas video.. I forgot what it's called, but did you guys catch the part where he does the "Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough" bit?

I have no idea if a non-MJ fan would have any idea what's going on :p , but he did the part where there are 3 of himself and they all do the same back lean. I thought it was cool :) .

The song is called "This Christmas" and yes i saw the video, i still think he is so cute now if only he find his own stride then he'll be alright.

Yeah I too, think its cool that he's Mj inspired and brown and all that, but as he gets older in the biz, he gon need to find his own way through and maybe even try to open some new doors in music and stuff...not be somebody wearin an old hat...just a saying.

You know, when he first hit the scene, he wasn't doing as many of Michael's steps as he is now. I didn't see him doing any of Michael's steps when he first came out. Now more then half of his steps are Michael's, lol. Chris can dance. But you know, he looks like somebody who's watched Michael over and over, and practiced every single one of his dance moves enough times until he could sort of do it. He's gonna have to come up with his own style, because as it is, he's taking more from Michael now then any of the other imitators. It doesn't look very good, and he's sloppy still. But he's better then Timberlake or Usher, I would say.

Last edited:
One thing I like about Brown is.. What sets him apart from USHER, Justin Timberlake.

When Brown does an MJ inspired dance step. We (the viewers) can tell and feel that is is a dedication. He's showing his LOVE for Michael.. With Usher and JT. They'll do MJ inspired moves and they just take it..

Not sure if I'm explaining it well..

ALSO, Brown does have SOMETHING different from Usher and JT, which is he's the only solo male artist that adds in a different feel.. He does bits of KRUMPING. Which is more original. No other artist out there uses it...

NOW, if he were to have done that before the movie RIZE, and the actual famous 'RISE' and public knowledge of the dance. He would have been considered the revolutionizer of the dance..

You know, the moonwalk, airwalking, and popping was out before Michael. BUT the MOONWALK was seen on public viewing TV for the first time with MICHAEL.. that made it REVOLUTIONIZING..

If they had movies, and things released in the pre-MTV era with the MOONWALK.. Michaels moonwalk would not have been AS groundbreaking..

Last edited:
ALSO, Brown does have SOMETHING different from Usher and JT, which is he's the only solo male artist that adds in a different feel.. He does bits of KRUMPING. Which is more original. No other artist out there uses it...

I agree cuz when I first saw RUN IT, I was like, wow...something new, finally. I mean I know krumping and Ive seen it done...on the streets, but not brought in as an official dance in itself. And chris, he made it look hot. Now everyone wants to krump and not crip walk anymore, lol. It's even like Stomp the yard was a step up from You got served movie. I think if Chris feels his own rhythm, goes against HIS own pulse, he CAN do something in the industry. Even Mike gave him props.

Michael gave Akon props too. :ermm:

:lol:

Seriously though, Chris isn't doing anything new. He's gonna have to come up with something else if he wants to be "bigger then Michael Jackson." Cause right now, he's just another guy doing what Michael did 20 years ago, and did a lot better.

Let me just add this though. Dance steps really don't matter. There really isn't anything "new" in terms of steps, everything is derived off of something else. Popping and locking were both derived from pantomime. It isn't whether you come up with new moves, its whether you put those moves together in a new way, create a style that is recognizable to the individual. Chris hasn't done that yet, and the more he imitates Michael, the less I think he will.

after the Thriller performance he done, I couldnt take up him seriously as a dancer :-|

Chris hasn't done that yet, and the more he imitates Michael, the less I think he will. __________________

Yeah, but from the countless times Ive seen MJ imitate his own idols, lol. I wouldnt conclude that. He been doing it from since he was little. like damn.

Michael, as far as I can see, really only does two James Brown associated steps. He does the mased patatoes, which James didn't invent, and he does this other step which I don't know how to describe. He does the mashed patatoes sparringly at that. If you want to count Michael falling to his knees, fine, but at least Michael made it entirely different by falling to his knees while coming out of a spin.

Michael hasn't imitated James Brown since he was about 10 years old. He will do a step once in a while from James, but that's it. By the time Michael was Chris's age, he had a style totally his own and that wasn't even the style we saw going in to his early 20s, because he was constantly developing and changing. The point is, he didn't start imitating James Brown or anyone else more the older he got, he started imitating them less. Chris seems to be imitating Michael more then when he started. That's weird. But maybe I'm wrong, maybe he'll develop a style uniquely his own. Right now, all he's doing is copying Michael Jackson and performing the popular styles of today.

Last edited:
But Chris has been in the game for a less time doing those moves anyhow. So its only a matter of time, see. And yeah, I dont think MJ invented the spins either ;)

Nobody invented any new steps. Its about how you put steps together and how well you execute them, because every move under the sun has been done. The spin Michael performs is called a pencil spin. But the way he performs it is unique, he executes it better then anyone I've ever seen, that comes down to natural balance and control and speed, and the way he combines it with other steps. Like falling to his knees or jumping up on his toes, or freezing and doing a tap dance. No one had ever done it like that before. Its how you put steps together and how well you perform them that counts, not steps themselves. Chris doesn't have a style of his own and he's sloppy, and if he keeps immitating Michael's style, trying to move in the same way and then mixing it with today's popular style's, then he's not going to go very far in terms of innovation.

I do like Chris' new song though. What's it called? "With You" I think. That's a lot better then his first two singles. Talk about God awful, lol. This new song at least has good melody.

Last edited:
I feel that chris offers something new to the table- and I agree that his MJ moves are more of a "moment of MJ" to honor.

When I watch Chris dance, I get excited to see the energy and passion he infuses into each step. And I wouldn't consider myself a Chris Brown fan.. I just enjoy watching him dance :flowers:

I do like Chris' new song though. What's it called? "With You" I think. That's a lot better then his first two singles. Talk about God awful, lol. This new song at least has good melody.

Ok, so what did MJ invent? Crotch grabbing? suuure... :lol:

Yeah I love WITH YOU. I play it all the time. And the music vid is nice. :) Like Mike said in the ebony interview, its all about the melody.

Michael invented a style. The way he puts steps together and combines them is unqiue to him. It wasn't seen before. Combine that with his natural ability, his speed, grace, control and accuracy, and that style looks sick, he just looks more beautiful then anyone when he dances.

Now that's just silly, lol.

More then anyone famous. If you ain't made it, then don't bother me, cause you probably aren't worth seeing, lol. Of course, by today's standards, if you have made it, you probably aren't worth seeing, haha.

Michael and Astaire are the best, imo.

Last edited:
CB can dance, but as a Artist he stinks. can't sing and is a dime a dozen ring tone act. he is a cool dude the way he carrys himself,but musically I ain't feeling it.

Chris Brown can dance, but he's nothing special. There's a lot of people with that type of ability. And you're sure as shoot right that he can't sing. His voice is pretty awful, the more you listen to it, the worse it sounds.

Last edited:
^Agreed. Ok, so I guess no one born alive ever after mJ and astaire's gonna meet standards that reach up to tangibly nowhere. They forever will be untouchable. Right?

No. Did I ever say that? There are dancers in the world today who have equal ability. It just ain't Chris Brown.

There are many dancers throughout show business history who I consider on or near that level. Cyd Charisse, Eleanor Powell, Nureyeve, Barishnikov, Bill Robinson, etc... Of course today, dancers don't get hollywood exposure like they used to, so you don't see them. Having that level of talent is rare though. You don't see it in but a handful of dancers. But there's plenty that are very, very good, and I'll say so if I see them, many of Michael's backing dancers are just that. Just because I don't think Chris Brown is the ****, just because I have higher standards, doesn't mean I think Michael and Astaire are the only good dancers ever. Shirley McClain is a way better dancer then Chris Brown. You know, the actress.

Michael is special because he's world class as both a vocalist and a dancer. I ain't ever seen that in anyone else.

Last edited:
I don't see why everyone liked KISS KISS so much.. as if Chris's awful voice is not enough he uses the same voicebox effects T-Pain uses through the entire song. I hate those little gizmo sounds, coz I feel like Im being cheated, why don't you use your own voice? But I aint gon lie, KISS KISS and WALL TO WALL have killer beats.Those two singles are good club bangers I could groove to in a club but you won't see the album anywhere near my house.Those lame-ass lyrics and Chris's voice being the main but not only reasons.
I have noo problem with Chris's dancing though, infact I love it.. he lays it down on the dancefloor and I can only see him getting better. Artistically Chris is just meant for teenage girls who don't know any better.

don't bother with BlackinProud, he a staunch CB fan, I've crossed swords with him once over this boy and he gave me one hell of a tongue lashing.:lol:

don't bother with BlackinProud, he a staunch CB fan, I've crossed swords with him once over this boy and he gave me one hell of a tongue lashing.
Ok that aint true. And I aint a boy. Dont get it twisted.:rolleyes:

I aint gonna lie either. I'm not a CB fan. I just feel like he's one of those up and coming that just might be smacked like a fly under the MJ guru's of today so to speak just because he happens to be one of their idols. Even MJ finds it admirable, why cant yall? I say, CB is cool. Give him some slack...(well he got a whole lot it seems)

Last edited:
I think he's a sweet kid and I've got no problem with him personally. I just think, as an artist, he's got nothing. And it's got nothing to do with his citing Michael as his idol. I just think talent wise, he's seriously average. If he keeps imitating Michael as often as he has been though, and continues only to imitate todays popular trends, then he'll never break ground or do anything new. He lacks subtelty as well, and that kills him as a performer.

Last edited:
I think he's a sweet kid and I've got no problem with him personally. I just think, as an artist, he's got nothing. And it's got nothing to do with his citing Michael as his idol. I just think talent wise, he's seriously average. If he keeps imitating Michael as often as he has been though, and continues only to imitate todays popular trends, then he'll never break ground or do anything new. He lacks subtelty as well, and that kills him as a performer.

I completely agree, although i love looking at him cause he is so handsome, i think he should try to be an actor and use those looks to his advantage because vocally he has no where to go but down he doesn't have the versality that someone like Michael or Stevie had at the age of 18, their greatness was on the horizon even though neither had released their greater works but the absolute potential was there with Chris it just isn't but i think with his looks he can coast and be an actor.

vocally he has no where to go but down he doesn't have the versality that someone like Michael or Stevie had at the age of 18, their greatness was on the horizon even though neither had released their greater works but the absolute potential was there with Chris it just isn't

Right. His only real talent is his dancing, but even that's iffy to me. He shouldn't be a music star really.

Right. His only real talent is his dancing, but even that's iffy to me. He shouldn't be a music star really.

Who says? I think he's doing fine. As long as peeps like him and he stays where he is, he can go places. :p Personally, I think he should just have his own sitcom. lol

Back