Earth Song preformances

J5master

Proud Member
WMA's 96
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-jx55RJWjs
I just revisited this performance in on Utube. ANd its really powerful. Even tho the song is lip synced, MJ put his heart and SOUL into it. And u can tell he was really emotional. Like when he forgot about lip singing all together and just SCREAMED on top of the traack during the "whoo! Whoo!" part. I could FEEL that. And the amaaaazing adlibs at the end! "WHAT! about it!" It was really powerful. If you look at Seal's face in the audience during that part :lol: u can tell he was thinkin "is he alRIGHT?" Cuz MJ was so INTO it. He was totally in a ZONE.

Brits 96
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNYbOUI48Ek
When i look at this one, I knew that peeps were trippin about it cuz he looked like he was trying to be Jesus. (apparently taht random dude that got on stage and shook his booty at the audience and lifted his shirt at the camera was protesting it :huh: :tongue:)So i decided to take a second look, to see if any interpretations could be made. But no matter how hard tried...when he took off his clothes wearing all white...the mannerisms...its really jarring. ANd I don't think he has a jesus complex or anything, but there are interpretations to made of it. And i just wanted opinions on it. From what i see, obviously there's some metaphors or something symbolic to come out of that performance.

MJ & Friends 99
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSxgOsGj2yM
When the bridge came down i had NO IDEA that it was that serious. And whats so amazing about this performance is how MJ PLAYS it off sooo well. I read Karen Faye's note about her reaction at this performance and i just had no idea, that the bridge fell that fast and that hard, cuz on camera it didn't seem fast at all. Apparently after the show, mj collapsed cuz his back was in so much pain and apparently MJ still suffers from it to this day. But u couldnt tell AT ALL the way the performance went! MJ went on like NOTHING happened. Karen told him backstage that he needed to go to a hospital but MJ refused vehemently cuz he didn't want to disappoint the audience. THAT is a performer right there, for REAL.

So those were my observations! That's all lol

WMA's 96
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-jx55RJWjs
I just revisited this performance in on Utube. ANd its really powerful. Even tho the song is lip synced, MJ put his heart and SOUL into it. And u can tell he was really emotional. Like when he forgot about lip singing all together and just SCREAMED on top of the traack during the "whoo! Whoo!" part. I could FEEL that. And the amaaaazing adlibs at the end! "WHAT! about it!" It was really powerful. If you look at Seal's face in the audience during that part :lol: u can tell he was thinkin "is he alRIGHT?" Cuz MJ was so INTO it. He was totally in a ZONE.

Brits 96
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNYbOUI48Ek
When i look at this one, I knew that peeps were trippin about it cuz he looked like he was trying to be Jesus. (apparently taht random dude that got on stage and shook his booty at the audience and lifted his shirt at the camera was protesting it :huh: :tongue:)So i decided to take a second look, to see if any interpretations could be made. But no matter how hard tried...when he took off his clothes wearing all white...the mannerisms...its really jarring. ANd I don't think he has a jesus complex or anything, but there are interpretations to made of it. And i just wanted opinions on it. From what i see, obviously there's some metaphors or something symbolic to come out of that performance.

MJ & Friends 99
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSxgOsGj2yM
When the bridge came down i had NO IDEA that it was that serious. And whats so amazing about this performance is how MJ PLAYS it off sooo well. I read Karen Faye's note about her reaction at this performance and i just had no idea, that the bridge fell that fast and that hard, cuz on camera it didn't seem fast at all. Apparently after the show, mj collapsed cuz his back was in so much pain and apparently MJ still suffers from it to this day. But u couldnt tell AT ALL the way the performance went! MJ went on like NOTHING happened. Karen told him backstage that he needed to go to a hospital but MJ refused vehemently cuz he didn't want to disappoint the audience. THAT is a performer right there, for REAL.

So those were my observations! That's all lol

I will have to come back to this. I can't do it justice tonight. I have never seen any of these versions before. His moves in the first just blew me away. I think in the second he is the earth. The black is the sickness or evil and the white is light, goodness and healing. I suppose Christians will see Jesus in that and pagans mother earth. etc.

The last I do not even like to think about. I had heard about it and I do worry that he may have injured himself forever in that one occurance. I guess that is the most we can say about that and on my part it is speculation anyway. I think it was probably the adrenalin of his being on stage that even allowed him to finish that night. The man performs like his life depends on it.

Oh this is a great thread! I loved reading your observations and views J5..and I agree with most of it. Ive seen all three but I think I might just go watch it again.

Youre right I didn't realise the enrmity of that accident here the crane came down..it fell almost in slow motion in the screen but I think it must have had quite a physical impact on someones back/spine ouch.poor michael.

Jarvis Cocker is just one big old loser...clearly someone who has no self respect..I think he could have voiced his opinion rather than mess us the performance at which point his cause was lost anyway. That performance was meant to signify something...and Michael's outstreched arms make him look like Jesus...but i think its more metaphorical than literal.

Oooh I have to watch them again now...will get back to you later!

my fav. was at the WORLD MUSIC AWARDS.. it was the greatest earth song

I don't understand why MJ playing jesus must be offensive to anyone, but as usual ther is double standards when it comes to MJ. Anybody else can play Jesus on a stage, but let it be MJ and suddenly he has a Jesus complex and even the man who don't care a rats a.. about jesus is offended by MJ playing Jesus. Well, what about all those films on tv where actors play Jesus, or Church plays where members play Jesus, how is it any differnt from MJ playing Jesus? I put on a robe and played Jesus in church. I must have been the first female Jesus. I don't walk with a Jesus complex. I can't believe even MJ fans have fallen for this media trickery. To say that Mj playing Jesus on stage is forbidden, Why? Furthermore, MJ never indicated that he was playing Jesus. And why is a white robe associated with jesus anyway? That is exactly how the media plays with our minds. It is called social programming.

Last edited:
Did anyone see that Earth Song performance where Michael was up in the crane and that Asian fan ran up the crane to stand next to him as the thing was hovering like 50 ft above the audience? that was CRAZY! once the crane hit the stage security were all over that fan lol

I cry like a BABY every single time i watch one of these performances I can't take it anymore! lol

Back