Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is MJ a Socially Aware Black Artist to You or Not Really?

Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 187
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Three Friends1 year registeredTagger First Class10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Default Re: is MJ a Socially aware Black Artist or not to you?

Prophetic lyrics from a great Rasta man (no not Bob Marley):

"400 years (400 years, 400 years, wo-oo-ah)
    And it's the same philosophy
    I said it's 400 years (400 years, 400 years, wo-oo-ah)
    And the people they still can't see
    Why do they fight against the youth of today
    And without these youths, they would be gone
    All gone astray

Come on, let's make a move
    (Make a move, make a move, wo-oo-ah)
    I can see time, time has come
    And if-a fools don't see
    (Fools don't see, fools don't see, wo-oo-ah)
    I can't save the youth
    The youth will be strong

So won't you come with me?
    I'll take you to a land of liberty
    Where we can live, live a good life and be free

Look how long: 400 years (400 years, 400 years, wo-oo-ah)
    Way too long!
    That's the reason my people can't see
    Said it's 400 long years (400 years, 400 years, wo-oo-ah)
    Give me patience, give me philosophy

It's been 400 years (400 years, 400 years)
    Wait so long! Wo-oo-oo-ah
    How long? 400 long, long years..."

"OK, first of all, I have this skin disorder that destroys the pigmentation of the skin. It's something that I cannot help. Okay? But when people make up stories that I don't wanna be what I am, it hurts me. It's a problem for me, okay? I can't control it. But let's reverse it. What about all the millions of people who sit out in the sun to become other than what they are?" -- Michael Jackson (1993)

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Here's one of the famed socially aware anthems for black people:

"Get up, stand up
    Stand up for your right
    Get up, stand up
    Stand up for your right
    Get up, stand up
    Stand up for your right
    Get up, stand up
    Don't give up the fight

Preacher man don't tell me
    That Heaven is under the earth
    I know you don't know what life is really worth
    It's not all that glitter is gold
    Half the story has never been told
    So now you see the light, hey, stand up for your rights
    Come on!

Get up, stand up
    Stand up for your right
    Get up, stand up
    Don't give up the fight
    Get up, stand up
    Stand up for your right
    Get up, stand up
    Don't give up the fight

Most people think Great God will come from the sky
    Take away everything and make everybody feel high
    But if you know what life is worth
    You will look for yours on earth
    And now you see the light
    So stand up for your right, Jah!

Get up, stand up (Jah, Jah!)
    Stand up for your right (oh!)
    Get up, stand up (get up, stand up)
    Don't give up the fight (life is your right)
    Get up, stand up (so we can't give up the fight)
    Stand up for your right (Lord, Lord)
    Get up, stand up (keep on strugglin' on)
    Don't give up the fight (yeah)

We're sick and tired of a-your ism-skism game
    Dyin' and going to heaven in Jesus' name, Lord
    We know and we understand
    Almighty God is a living man
    You can fool some people sometimes
    But you can't fool all the people all the time
    So now we see the light (what you gonna do?)
    We're gonna stand up for our rights (yeah, yeah, yeah)

So you better
    Get up, stand up (in the morning! Get it up!)
    Stand up for your right (stand up for our rights!)
    Get up, stand up
    Don't give up the fight (don't give it up, don't give it up)..."

"OK, first of all, I have this skin disorder that destroys the pigmentation of the skin. It's something that I cannot help. Okay? But when people make up stories that I don't wanna be what I am, it hurts me. It's a problem for me, okay? I can't control it. But let's reverse it. What about all the millions of people who sit out in the sun to become other than what they are?" -- Michael Jackson (1993)

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Here's another lyric, may not be just for the black experience but I bet a lot of protest artists got a little giggle hearing Ron Isley tear into this lyric:

"I tried to play my music
    They said my music's too loud
    I tried to turn all about it
    I got the big run-around
    And when I roll with the punches
    I got knocked on the ground
    From all this BULLS**T goin' down!"

And don't get me started on Stevie's "U Haven't Done Nothin'"... "Jackson 5, sing it with me, DOO-WOP... DOO-WOP..."

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Don't believe Mike was at least influenced by the Isleys:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCBTR7583P4

"Fight the power, hee-hee-hee..."
    Last edited by troubleman84; 13-12-2007 at 07:24 AM.

Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 344
    Overall activity: 0.4%
    Achievements:
    Three Friends1 year registered10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

and he still cares about the world as a whole because he realizes that he lives in a whole world, not just a black world, unlike many other black people who see the world problems only one way.
    Exactly.

And great post classic. That's the truth right there, all the way. Michael's supported many black establishments, including the NAACP, he's given his music to BET above other channles, he's granted exclusive access and interviews to Ebony and Jet over the years, he's continually spoken about the impact and importance of black artists, visited Africa several times and met with black political leaders such as Nelsen Mendela and tribe leaders as well, etc... More then half the kids he invited out to his ranch were black or hispanic, probably more then half. And he called Tommy Mattola racist, not Sony itself. And as pointed out, that isn't the first or only time Michael has spoken on the issues black artists are faced with in the industry. As a young man he spoke numerous times about how he thought America was brainwashed and that as a country, it should follow suite after places like Switzerland and such, who he felt were color blind. Again, Michael is bigger then race issues, as SoS pointed out, in the big picture, race issues are man made and false, they have no basis in reality. But what about the fact that Michael gave Little Richard his entire music catalog back, for free, after purchasing it? That speaks more to Michael's awarity of black people's struggles in the industry then talking about it every five minutes. Whatever though.
    Last edited by wannabestartinsomthin21; 13-12-2007 at 07:30 AM.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

I got a present for y'all:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQ96QP7zRZs

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

WARNING WHILE VIEWING THIS ONE (filled with graphic shootings):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyskNSWRKW0

Probably the greatest anthem of awareness I don't care what your race is!

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Now compare that to:

"We Are the World"
    "Man in the Mirror"
    "Heal the World"
    "Keep the Faith", I think, is the one song where I feel he's actually talking to ME, lol
    "They Don't Care About Us" - the other one can be seen in different ways I guess
    "Earth Song"
    "We've Had Enough" had a Marvin/Curtis/Isleys flair to it

----
    Most of these songs don't just speak to black folks and I have to be honest most of the aware songs written and/or performed by black artists can be viewed in different ways but all of them are in essence protest songs that everyone can relate to even if you look at most of them from a black perspective.

Some have called "The Ghetto" the anthem of black life, but the same can be said about "Inner City Blues", "The Bottle", "Living for the City"...

Other songs like "The Revolution Will Not Be Televised" was looked on as black awareness in the '70s but people of all races are determining what "revolution" means in their minds.

So has James Brown's "I'm Black and I'm Proud" hence that there were a multi-racial melting pot of children singing the chorus, lol!

Michael mostly speaks from HUMANITARIAN views so in that sense, he's aware of world issues (like "Can You Feel It" for example).

Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 344
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

To be "honest", its the focus on race which causes racism.

Michael is special. People know he's black, of course, but its a non-factor when it comes to him, a physical fact and nothing more, they don't even notice. People don't care, because what Michael is and what he represnets is so far beyond that sh*t, that it doesn't matter to them, he isn't anything to them but a human being with a grand gift, and that's why his impact and person is so far reaching. He truly trancsends race and other, man-made, social devides.

I'm done with this conversation.
    Last edited by wannabestartinsomthin21; 13-12-2007 at 09:52 AM.

Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 459
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by soso def View Post
    no, U are a contradiction. J5 wasn't a socially black group that brought any social issues to light. sorry but 'i want u back' had nothing to do w/ the civil rights issues going on.

as far as breaking down barriers...mj did that b/c the society at the time didn't want black voices on white radios, black faces on white music channels, or black faces on their magazines. he was so damn good that they HAD to have him on or risk losing customers.

as far as the 'THE INDUSTRY DOESN'T LIKE BLACK PEOPLE' rant...a bit too late. he knew this THEN. he knew it when he was the undisputed kop...now when his word meant nothing, when they didn't think too highly of him, and when he hadn't really been too predominate in the black community...since his image and his music was geared for EVERYONE, no one took him seriously.

if "bad" Michael had done that speech or even "dangerous' michael, people would've taken it seriously. this is a dude who took over the protest, shocked the rev. and made it personal and about him.

next.
    SoSi, you will never understand the impact the time. It doesn't matter what they were singing. it mattered that they were there, representing and doing the things that was NEVER done before by a black group. They were so GOOD that they couldn't be ignored and the WHOLE WORLD stood up and took notice.
    It was a time of black pride and every young black person believed they could do something because of the Jacksons. Yes, it was a social statememt. You should have heard Ian Wright, one of the greatest british black footballer speak about them in a BBC documentary. 'Let me show you the way to go', was exactly what they were doing and they did it well. Many young blacks were inspired by them and went on to be somebody. Solo Michael took it international, which was what martin Luther King was trying to do but failed when they killed him. Yes, MJ breakdown barriers and he fills me with black pride.
    He shows you that if you have the will and the motivation you can make it despite the odds. It is not about getting handouts and feeling sorry for yourself. it is about taking what you have and working with it and making the best of life.
    Mr Jackson was very strong and powerful, and he was scary in a way, but not without a sense of humour, although it was clear that all the children had a huge amount of respect for their dad.
    'I had a set opinion of the family beforehand and, because my perception of them changed while making the film, ...They came across as a steady, committed family, whereas it was the people around them who were scrabbling in the dirt. British reporter.

Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 20
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered100 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

I don't understand why people group artists in group of black and white? I see Michael and I don't think if he's white or black. He is an artists and it doesn't matter what race he has. Maybe it was important in past.

Dance your cares away

Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 113
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Three Friends10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thanks

as far as the 'THE INDUSTRY DOESN'T LIKE BLACK PEOPLE' rant...a bit too late. he knew this THEN.he knew it when he was the undisputed kop.
    Isn't it fair enough to say that the issue hadn't yet impacted him in such a personal way...where for the first time, it was staring him in the face head-on..and he confronted it head-on. Who of us responds passionately to issues until they impact us personally? Many times we are interested in something that doesn't impact us personally but when it gets personal it gets to another level.

..now when his word meant nothing, when they didn't think too highly of him, and when he hadn't really been too predominate in the black communitysince his image and his music was geared for EVERYONE, no one took him seriously.
    If no one took him seriously it may have been because the way he went about it seemed incongruent with his style of communication and behavior, I don't feel it was because he'd reached out to a larger audience.

Michael had reached out to a larger audience and was hailed the undisputed KOP long before 2001. By 2001 he found himself fighting something very personally directed at his livlihood and well-being, which is another thing the public at large found very hard to accept, believe and understand, which is also why they may not have taken it seriously.

We can see now that his word meant plenty because people still think very highly of him to this day, - - minus Sony.

Michael standing on his own as an industry icon and a force to be reckoned with, proves that.

Quote Originally Posted by wannabestartinsomthin21 View Post
    To be "honest", its the focus on race which causes racism.
    No truer words have ever been spoken.

Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 87
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thanks

Michael opened the door for black musician,he showed that if you are good enought there are NO LIMITS!
    Moonwalker Romania

Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 324
    Overall activity: 0.7%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

by 2001 the world thought of him as a pedophile. going on a bus bashing mattolla and then making a pc about him and his issues instead of focusing on what was at hand. sorry but mike dealt w/ the issues blacks face in the industry. he was just making hella money and was on the top so i don't think he cared too much about shedding light on it.

timmy, i could kiss u for those links....note that bob's mother said he came into the world light, almost looking like he was mixed or could even pass for a white man b/c if he wasn't, no one would have listened to what he was preaching. my favorite is CRAZY BALDHEADS....guess who he's talking about in that one.

mj had his chance in ebony to say something positive about obama....he chose to say he was taught not to think about it. didn't he perform at clinton's inaug? didn't he hang out w/ nasty ass ronald r? cop out if u ask me

Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 252
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

by 2001 the world thought of him as a pedophile
    I think the world had pretty much forgotten about the allegations of 93 in 2001 until the new sh!t hit the fan in after the Bashir interview 2003.
    Sorry a bit ot but I had to say it.