DefJam Press Release: New Janet's album is called 'Discipline': out Feb. 26th 2008!!

SunsetDriver

Proud Member
logogt4.jpg

JANET JACKSON TO RELEASE "FEEDBACK" –

DEBUT SINGLE AT ISLAND DEF JAM MUSIC GROUP, IMPACTS JANUARY 7th

LEAD TRACK FROM DISCIPLINE – IDJ DEBUT ALBUM, SET FOR FEBRUARY 26th RELEASE

"Feedback" produced by Rodney Jerkins – other producers on new album include Jermaine Dupri, Ne-Yo, Stargate, Tricky Stewart, and The-Dream

Janet Jackson currently starring in Tyler Perry’s Why Did I Get Married? , #1 box office smash

(December 13, 2007 – New York, NY) /PRNewswire/ — International megastar Janet Jackson, who has sold over 100 million albums worldwide and is the newest signing to the Island Def Jam Music Group, has completed her first new single for the label with hitmaking producer Rodney Jerkins. "Feedback" will impact across-the-board at all radio formats on January 7th.
DISCIPLINE, Janet Jackson’s new album — and the 10th studio album of her career — is scheduled to arrive in stores on February 26th. In addition to Rodney Jerkins, the new album brings together an A-list of guest producers, including Jermaine Dupri, Ne-Yo, Stargate, Tricky Stewart, and The-Dream. DISCIPLINE was executive produced by Antonio "L.A." Reid, Chairman, Island Def Jam Music Group.
In a class all by herself, 5-time Grammy Award-winning and Oscar-nominated Janet Jackson is currently starring in Why Did I Get Married?, the smash hit movie by Tyler Perry, which opened #1 at the box office. This is the third motion picture of Janet’s career, and her third to open at #1, following the success of Nutty Professor II: The Klumps (2000), and her leading title role in John Singleton's Poetic Justice (1993).

source: http://www.prnewswire.com/mnr/umusic/31098/

senzatitolo11di4.png

:woohoo::woohoo:

Re: DefJam Press Release: New Janet's album is called 'Discipline': out Feb. 26th 200

Nice shot, but I would never have guessed that was Janet from the neck up if I just randomly saw the pic.

Re: DefJam Press Release: New Janet's album is called 'Discipline': out Feb. 26th 200

Aw, wow, that's pretty cool. I love the photo too. But nooo...not another whispering single! lol The site is ok.

Nice shot, but I would never have guessed that was Janet from the neck up if I just randomly saw the pic.

I agree. She looked like Aaliyah or Ciara at first lol

wish Janet the best.. but I am not feeling this at all..

an artist with Janet's tenure.. should be executive producing her own album... not the label head... ummm???

where is Janet in all this.. she is lost somewhere... her last album was like that was JD controlling ..

I hope I am wrong.. but looking like the new artist (Ciara for example)...instead of the other way around.. ummm??

she has been in the game a while and she's not showing any growth imo...

also it seems Janet took a pay-cut when she went to Def Jam but of course the media doesn't hound her about things like that..

she seems to be following an not leading.. ok .. said enough...

Last edited:

Hope everything goes great.. Hope the other tracks on the album are awsome.. Dropping Jimmy Jam etc. was a big risk.. we'll see what happens..

I've been waiting for this day..

Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis are old now... I guess she needs some people that are fresh and new... :D I hope the album is good. I really haven't liked her last two albums that much.

see to me "Fresh" cannot be made right now.. Music in general are made of BRANDS..

See what happened with music production IS.. singers/rappers went into music for the love of it.. As they learned that the MONEY is made in PRODUCTION. that is when the ARTIST became the PRODUCER.. Now too many singers/rappers are trying to PRODUCE, not true PRODUCERS..

Now people are not trying to be the BIGGEST ARTIST, it's who can MAKE the HOTTEST TRACK.. They want it ALL..

Take Michael for instance, he is talented in MANY ways but he knows where his limits are.. He does not try doing "RAP" because he feels that is not his thing.. But these other people are FORCING themselves to PRODUCE even though they are not made for it..

Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis are great producers and are not "old".. Well physically getting there, but talent never dies.. It only grows.

I'm not saying all the producers Janet is working with are BAD.. But some are.. NE-YO is a good artist, but he's not a producer.. He is a BRAND music maker like Timbaland.. They find a specific sound and re release it in as many ways with LITTLE change untill people get sick of it..

Timbaland has the fast subliminal background beats in every song he makes.. Have it be with "One Republic" "Omarion" "Justin Timberlake" All the tracks he makes have a VERY simular 'ticking' type sound in the background derived from southern rap..

Ne-Yo right now is using a'clap' sound effects in most songs he produces in the forgound in the rhythmadic portion of the instramentel.

Last edited:

wish Janet the best.. but I am not feeling this at all..

an artist with Janet's tenure.. should be executive producing her own album... not the label head... ummm???

where is Janet in all this.. she is lost somewhere... her last album was like that was JD controlling ..

I hope I am wrong.. but looking like the new artist (Ciara for example)...instead of the other way around.. ummm??

she has been in the game a while and she's not showing any growth imo...

also it seems Janet took a pay-cut when she went to Def Jam but of course the media doesn't hound her about things like that..

she seems to be following an not leading.. ok .. said enough...
Well, if we put things into prospective, her music career derailed and stalled rather badly. Maybe if certain things hadn't occurred, I would tend to agree with you, but artists in the reconstruct mode requires more help in moding a different direction. In terms of her being exe producer, she may well be as well, but it wasn't in the press release...

Janet has generally been comfortable working with Jam and Lewis over the years and the danger in that is that you get comfortable and 'stuck'. She pushed the envelope too far and got burned, so now she is kinda starting all over in a sense...

I wasn't feeling the song at first -- I mean it was just okay, until I saw a You Tube video of this guy dancing to it and now it's really grown on me. I actually like it now and I think it's a 'club banger' (as the kids say nowadays). Janet's appealing to a core demo and they are wild about the song, so she should do well. The pop stations are already playing it ahead of the January add date and they wouldn't touch 20 YO songs with a 10 foot pole. So that's something there...

see to me "Fresh" cannot be made right now.. Music in general are made of BRANDS..

See what happened with music production IS.. singers/rappers went into music for the love of it.. As they learned that the MONEY is made in PRODUCTION. that is when the ARTIST became the PRODUCER.. Now too many singers/rappers are trying to PRODUCE, not true PRODUCERS..

Now people are not trying to be the BIGGEST ARTIST, it's who can MAKE the HOTTEST TRACK.. They want it ALL..

Take Michael for instance, he is talented in MANY ways but he knows where his limits are.. He does not try doing "RAP" because he feels that is not his thing.. But these other people are FORCING themselves to PRODUCE even though they are not made for it..

Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis are great producers and are not "old".. Well physically getting there, but talent never dies.. It only grows.

I'm not saying all the producers Janet is working with are BAD.. But some are.. NE-YO is a good artist, but he's not a producer.. He is a BRAND music maker like Timbaland.. They find a specific sound and re release it in as many ways with LITTLE change untill people get sick of it..

Timbaland has the fast subliminal background beats in every song he makes.. Have it be with "One Republic" "Omarion" "Justin Timberlake" All the tracks he makes have a VERY simular 'ticking' type sound in the background derived from southern rap..

Ne-Yo right now is using a'clap' sound effects in most songs he produces in the forgound in the rhythmadic portion of the instramentel.

one of the best post I have read.. excellent!!... someone who knows the business...

Also, remember what Michael said about an artist doing a TV variety show.. he was so right and it reflects what you are saying now...

Tina Turner was once where Janet is now.. and someone with the right vision.. came at the right time ..to help her blaze the path...

2008 is going to be an interesting year... the year of the Jacksons along with the presidential debate..an historical one...

imo the picture is marketed for the japanese market

Last edited:

Well, if we put things into prospective, her music career derailed and stalled rather badly. Maybe if certain things hadn't occurred, I would tend to agree with you, but artists in the reconstruct mode requires more help in moding a different direction. In terms of her being exe producer, she may well be as well, but it wasn't in the press release...

Janet has generally been comfortable working with Jam and Lewis over the years and the danger in that is that you get comfortable and 'stuck'. She pushed the envelope too far and got burned, so now she is kinda starting all over in a sense...

I wasn't feeling the song at first -- I mean it was just okay, until I saw a You Tube video of this guy dancing to it and now it's really grown on me. I actually like it now and I think it's a 'club banger' (as the kids say nowadays). Janet's appealing to a core demo and they are wild about the song, so she should do well. The pop stations are already playing it ahead of the January add date and they wouldn't touch 20 YO songs with a 10 foot pole. So that's something there...

Exactly. Janet's finally reinventing herself for better or for worse and for once, the people who wouldn't dare play her during the Nipplegate period/20 Y.O. controversy are suddenly enjoying playing this new song. I think Janet's coming back in a big way. I'm still optimistic about what she can do.

I like the fact that she is taking risks with not working with Jimmy and Terry and collaborating with different producers. I see this as a clean start for her. Janet is going to be fine. Jimmy and Terry are extremely talented producers and I love their work. I don't think they are old and tired, but I think it is the right thing for Janet to move on and part ways with them.

How did radio DJs get the song before they were actually supposed to? I hope Janet knows what they're doing and has given it her ok.

Last edited:
Back