Michael Jackson, Akon Are 'Startin' Somethin' ' On Thriller 25 Track -- Listen To It Here!

Justice!

Proud Member
Forthcoming commemorative set to feature reworkings of classic MJ tracks by Kanye West, Will.I.Am, Fergie.

The first single from Michael Jackson's forthcoming Thriller 25, a collection of tunes celebrating the 25th anniversary of the King of Pop's classic LP, will be a newly recorded rendition of "Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' " that features Akon, Will.I.Am and, of course, Jackson himself.

Listen To it Here:

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/15..._michael.jhtml?rsspartner=rssYahooNewscrawler

"He's incredible," Akon told MTV News about working with MJ. "He's a genius. Just to be in the same room [with him], I felt everything I wanted to accomplish in life has been achieved. That aura ... that's how incredible that aura is. We about to shake the world up, man. You know how you be with somebody and you can't even explain [the feeling]? I used to sit and think, 'How does somebody sell so many records and dominate a whole business genre to a point [where] nobody can't be a part of that without associating with you?' The way he thinks ... some artists think regional, some think national, I was thinking international. He thinks planets. It's on another level."

The track is a new take on the original, according to a press release, and was produced by Akon and Jackson. MJ mixed and mastered the new cut.

Thriller 25, which is due in stores February 12, will include the original version of the 1982 record, in addition to five tracks previously unreleased in any form, including a Kanye West-helmed remix of "Billie Jean"; Will.I.Am's reworkings of "The Girl Is Mine" and "P.Y.T."; Fergie's version of "Beat It"; and an outtake from the original Thriller sessions called "For All Time."

The set will also feature a DVD, including all the Thriller-inspired short films ("Thriller," "Beat It" and "Billie Jean"), in addition to Jackson's Emmy-nominated performance of "Billie Jean" during the "Motown 25: Yesterday, Today, Forever" TV special. The DVD reportedly will also boast an exclusive, Jackson-penned greeting to his fans.

Initial reports suggested Jackson had also worked with Pharrell, Ne-Yo, Neff-U, Jerkins, Chris Brown, Dallas Austin and Teddy Riley on the project, but it remains unclear whether those collaborations will materialize.

Last edited:
thanks for posting but we've heard it already. all the remixes were posted on the forums a couple of weeks ago.

Remember peeps its a remix - Dont compare to the originals ;)

thanks for posting but we've heard it already. all the remixes were posted on the forums a couple of weeks ago.

yes right, but I think that version sounds a little bit different or? Of course, the quality is better..but it seems - compare with the demoversions in YouTube - different. May I`m wrong.

So, I lOVE that Akon Version, really!!

I don't like the WBSS "remix"... well first of all it's not really a remix it's more like an Akon cover or a new Akon song that samples WBSS, he even changed the lyrics and melody and the meaning of the song! :angry:

But I like the remixes Will.I.Am made, The Girl Is Mine is great, one of the best remixes I've heard! And P.Y.T would be great too if Mikes vocals were in better quality.

Last edited:
i am sooo lovin this!! thank u MJ for the new vocals..i haven't heard this version before..i am soooo getting the album...

and akon and mj both have such a feel for classical music..that's what i love about em both...

that ethereal feeling over that renewing of the dance.....

The track is a new take on the original, according to a press release, and was produced by Akon and Jackson. MJ mixed and mastered the new cut.
See that scares me about the new album that MJ thought those tracks were decent enough to featured on his album. I think they're terrible remixes and BOTDF: HITM has better remixes than T25. I hope this isnt a sign of Will.i.am's work for the new album.

i am sooo lovin this!! .

and akon and mj both have such a feel for classical music..that's what i love about em both...

that ethereal feeling over that renewing of the dance.....

So, I lOVE that Akon Version, really!!

i agree!!!!!!

i said this countless of times before. the akon cover (i say, akon cover bec. it is more like it) is so good and i seriously think it has great potential to be up there on the charts.

the new version is so now and altho m still so lovin the original version, this one has a great potential. akon's smooth voice certainly added a new character to the song

I actually liked it. I didn't think I would. But no matter what, the original will always be tops.

Last edited:
Those vocals are definitely new...have a more edge to it...

He didn't sound like that back then. So their new..I like em.

when i went to this club on new years if they played akons take on WBSS. it was really good i liked it. im really looking forward to thriller 25. im buyin 2 copies lol

Those vocals are definitely new...have a more edge to it...

You mean new like they aren't from a demo from Thriller era or new like they aren't the same as the ones on You Tube? I can't play it because the graphics keep making it stop and start, even after I have played it through once. It does seem like they (both Michael's and Akon's) might be clearer than the You Tube version. I actually think I like it even though I am not an Akon fan. It would be easier to tell if I could hear it without the interruptions.

It isn't as good as listening to pure MJ though but you have to expect that. Michael's backing improves (mellows out) Akon's voice and Michael is trying to reach new audience. I think this is a very clever way to do it.

For the rest I will wait and see. I am certainly not going to try to second guess Michael on direction of music. That kind of fool I am not.

Sounds to me like the vocals are new too. I like this : )
What a great way to reach a new age group!

The vocals are definately new, so are the Billie Jean vocals.

OMG ARE YOU KIDDING ME? :mello:

kafkhefsbvswerjfhgeg

The DVD reportedly will also boast an exclusive, Jackson-penned greeting to his fans.

:woohoo: x1000000000000000000000

OMG ARE YOU KIDDING ME? :mello:

kafkhefsbvswerjfhgeg

The DVD reportedly will also boast an exclusive, Jackson-penned greeting to his fans.

:woohoo: x1000000000000000000000

I know theres a letter to us in the booklets, but I'm trying to figure out if that's what they're talking about or if there's a video of him on the DVD actually saying it to us. That last thing is confusing!

A lot of peeps on the forum think TGIM remix is the best output of the T25 album but m pretty confident the Akon/MJ/will.i.am take on WBSS is easier on the ears. definitely more catchy!

I know theres a letter to us in the booklets, but I'm trying to figure out if that's what they're talking about or if there's a video of him on the DVD actually saying it to us. That last thing is confusing!

Exactly, I'm so confused! :lol:

If there is a actual message from him on the dvd I'm gonna cry. :woohoo:

I hate the Wanna Be Startin Somethin remix. It's sounds like Michael is the guest vocalist on an Akon song, as Akons vocals dominate the song. And to think this crap is being put on Michael's amazing Thriller album. I look forward to yet "another" release of Thriller in a few years time when the stupid remixes will be removed.

I do like the song....and I don't like it.

I do like it for the beat and the general feel to it. It does make me dance and tap my foot to the beat. It's not bad.

What I don't like is....that it is mostly Akon singing. I was never a huge fan of remixes....I listen to them when I go to the gym and run, but when I really LISTEN to the music, I listen to the original. When you have a masterpiece...why mess with it? If this was on an Akon album it woud be an awesome MJ cover, but when it's on MJ's album, it kind of makes me....what's the word..."angry" or "irritated" a bit that they were messing with CLASSICS and it's not MJ singing. Like I said, I DO like the song, I'm just trying to understand why they are on MJ's album and why they re-did the classics when the originals were BRILLIANT. And another thing I don't like about the new WBSS....the lyrics...It sounds like "I met this girl on the street and we went straight to her place and....had sex". Wow. Really classy. But on scale of 1 to 10 and 10 being the best.... I give the song an 8-.

This version MUST be remixed by Freemasons and it will be MASSIVE!!!!!!

I hate the Wanna Be Startin Somethin remix. It's sounds like Michael is the guest vocalist on an Akon song, as Akons vocals dominate the song. And to think this crap is being put on Michael's amazing Thriller album. I look forward to yet "another" release of Thriller in a few years time when the stupid remixes will be removed.

Ha Ha! No doubt there will be one. This is about the 900th copy of Thriller that I will possess ! :)

Back