I was *****'s UK bodyguard (The Sun article)

StephluvsMJ

Proud Member
This was posted on MJNO by Tom. It's a really positive article and I feel it should be posted here aswell.

Wacko1_280_420154a.jpg

I was *****'s UK bodyguard

By DAVID LOWE
Published: 16 Jan 2008

CURRY, Bruce Lee movies and shopping - it isn't hard to amuse Michael Jackson according to his UK bodyguard.

Having minded the megastar on several occasions, Matt Fiddes insists the King of Pop doesn't live in Neverland - and is proud to count him as a personal friend.

When Matt's mum was battling breast cancer, the former Jackson Five frontman even called her regularly to cheer her up.

And despite the child abuse allegations which have dogged the singer for years, dad-of-five Matt had no qualms about his kids meeting the troubled megastar.

Wacko3_180_420155a.jpg
In shape ... Matt

Matt, 28, says: "Michael must be the most misunderstood man in the world.

"He is such a nice guy behind closed doors.

"Once you get to know him, you see that - but for most people his huge international profile tends to get in the way.

"Michael definitely wants to keep the mystery going.

"It's like a game to him.

"He knows he can go out and be photographed and the photos will be used worldwide.

"During a visit to London in 2002, Michael took my stepsons, Archie and Charlie, on a shopping trip to Hamleys toy store.

"He's a great guy and I didn't have any problem with it.

"It sounds like a dream come true to most kids, but the boys were too shy to choose anything expensive.

"They came home with just a few bits and pieces."

As a schoolboy in Swindon, Matt was mercilessly bullied, and turned to martial arts to protect himself.

But now he's a strapping 6'3" and heads a network of martial arts schools throughout the UK and Europe, as well as bodyguarding the rich and famous part-time.

Matt says: "When you're a shy, skinny little boy and the other lads decide to pick on you, there's not a lot you can do.

"I wanted to beat the bullies and decided to take up Tae Kwon Do.

"It quickly gave me back my confidence, and within three or four years I'd progressed to black belt standard.”

Matt wasn’t the academic type, and left school at 16 with no official qualifications.

But thanks to lots of grit and determination he opened his first school in Barnstaple in January 1998, and had signed 500 members within six months.

As Matt's venture took off, so did his profile.

He was approached to take part in a fitness video alongside mystical performer Uri Geller - the man who would introduce him to Michael Jackson.

Matt says: "One night Uri called me at 2am and said 'You have to come to my house now, or you'll regret it for the rest of your life.'

"I made the three hour trip from Devon to Sonning-on-Thames, Berkshire.

"I couldn't believe my eyes when I walked into Uri's living room and Michael Jackson was sitting there on the sofa.

"Michael mentioned he was looking for a bodyguard in the UK and asked me to keep in touch.

"From then on I was his bodyguard on trips to the UK."

Wacko2_180_420156a.jpg
Left hand man ... Matt with Mike

Amazingly, Matt was present at the Renaissance Hotel in London in 2002 when Martin Bashir pitched ***** the idea for his famous documentary.

When Living With Michael Jackson aired the following year it caused a storm on both sides of the Atlantic for shocking insinuations about the star's private life, and subsequently for the show's allegedly biased editing.

Matt says: "Martin told Michael it would be the best thing he could do for his career.

"It was supposed to be about the music and Mike's children were to be kept out of the final cut.

"Of course it was nothing of the sort and my jaw dropped when I watched the show at Uri's house.”

During filming for Martin Bashir's documentary, Matt got to experience life with the showbiz legend.

And he ended up acting as a Wacko decoy so the squeaky-voiced singer could avoid the press.

Matt says: "Michael would come up with elaborate plans to escape the crowds.
"He asked me to dress up like him to distract the fans and he would sneak out the back door.
‘ I had to pinch myself when I was sitting on the floor with the King of Pop eating a curry and watching Bruce Lee movies ’

"He produced white socks, a military-style jacket and sunglasses for me to put on.

"The US security team of four bodyguards came with me through the front of the hotel.

"People were grabbing my hands and talking to me as if I was their hero.

"Meanwhile Michael snuck out the back with one bodyguard and had about 20 minutes of hassle-free browsing before he was recognised.

"Another time, Michael and I ordered a takeaway curry and escaped to Uri's house in Berkshire.

"I had to pinch myself when I was sitting on the floor with the King of Pop eating a curry and watching Bruce Lee movies."

Despite the excitement of looking after a global megastar, Matt's memory of the time is tinged with sadness.

During the same period his mum, Majella Norris, was diagnosed with breast cancer and given just six months to live.

But when Matt confided in Wacko, the star didn't waste any time giving his stricken mum a call.

‘ My jaw dropped when I watched Martin Bashir's documentary at Uri's house ’

Matt says: "That really touched me.

"Michael's a very sensitive human being and he'd ring my mum every day to see how she was coping.

“He makes a big impression on everyone, and she really appreciated his best wishes.

"Thankfully Mum pulled through and is loving her retirement."

Michael is currently based in Las Vegas, but Matt is kept busy with other celebrity clients including *****'s brother Jermaine and the model Danielle Lloyd.

Meanwhile his martial arts training business continues to grow.

Matt says: "It's amazing to think that ten years ago I was penniless and opened the account for Matt Fiddes Martial Arts School with just £100.

"A few weeks ago the empire was valued at £30m.

"Here I am at 28 with a great business and Michael Jackson as a client and personal friend."

-----

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/woman/real_life/article695035.ece

nice article :) whoever knows michael knows what a great wonderful man he is :)

i've always known michael likes to portray himself as mysterious
"razzle dazzle them" ;)

I don't know what to say about these "Uri people" even thou it is positive.

Your always going to get wacko in these kind of papers...it's just one of those thing you gotta take no notice of.

Wacko doesn't offend me much anymore. After everything else he's been called, Wacko is nothing, it's almost affectionate!

What a nice article! :)

It seems as though I automatically censored this term. I just ignored it. LOL!

lol those poor fans that thought the bodyguard was michael :lol: this article reveals them that it was not. only that they found out 6 years later :eek:

This was posted on MJNO by Tom. It's a really positive article and I feel it should be posted here aswell.

Wacko1_280_420154a.jpg

I was *****'s UK bodyguard

By DAVID LOWE
Published: 16 Jan 2008

CURRY, Bruce Lee movies and shopping - it isn't hard to amuse Michael Jackson according to his UK bodyguard.

Having minded the megastar on several occasions, Matt Fiddes insists the King of Pop doesn't live in Neverland - and is proud to count him as a personal friend.

When Matt's mum was battling breast cancer, the former Jackson Five frontman even called her regularly to cheer her up.

And despite the child abuse allegations which have dogged the singer for years, dad-of-five Matt had no qualms about his kids meeting the troubled megastar.

Wacko3_180_420155a.jpg
In shape ... Matt

Matt, 28, says: "Michael must be the most misunderstood man in the world.

"He is such a nice guy behind closed doors.

"Once you get to know him, you see that - but for most people his huge international profile tends to get in the way.

"Michael definitely wants to keep the mystery going.

"It's like a game to him.

"He knows he can go out and be photographed and the photos will be used worldwide.

"During a visit to London in 2002, Michael took my stepsons, Archie and Charlie, on a shopping trip to Hamleys toy store.

"He's a great guy and I didn't have any problem with it.

"It sounds like a dream come true to most kids, but the boys were too shy to choose anything expensive.

"They came home with just a few bits and pieces."

As a schoolboy in Swindon, Matt was mercilessly bullied, and turned to martial arts to protect himself.

But now he's a strapping 6'3" and heads a network of martial arts schools throughout the UK and Europe, as well as bodyguarding the rich and famous part-time.

Matt says: "When you're a shy, skinny little boy and the other lads decide to pick on you, there's not a lot you can do.

"I wanted to beat the bullies and decided to take up Tae Kwon Do.

"It quickly gave me back my confidence, and within three or four years I'd progressed to black belt standard.”

Matt wasn’t the academic type, and left school at 16 with no official qualifications.

But thanks to lots of grit and determination he opened his first school in Barnstaple in January 1998, and had signed 500 members within six months.

As Matt's venture took off, so did his profile.

He was approached to take part in a fitness video alongside mystical performer Uri Geller - the man who would introduce him to Michael Jackson.

Matt says: "One night Uri called me at 2am and said 'You have to come to my house now, or you'll regret it for the rest of your life.'

"I made the three hour trip from Devon to Sonning-on-Thames, Berkshire.

"I couldn't believe my eyes when I walked into Uri's living room and Michael Jackson was sitting there on the sofa.

"Michael mentioned he was looking for a bodyguard in the UK and asked me to keep in touch.

"From then on I was his bodyguard on trips to the UK."

Wacko2_180_420156a.jpg
Left hand man ... Matt with Mike

Amazingly, Matt was present at the Renaissance Hotel in London in 2002 when Martin Bashir pitched ***** the idea for his famous documentary.

When Living With Michael Jackson aired the following year it caused a storm on both sides of the Atlantic for shocking insinuations about the star's private life, and subsequently for the show's allegedly biased editing.

Matt says: "Martin told Michael it would be the best thing he could do for his career.

"It was supposed to be about the music and Mike's children were to be kept out of the final cut.

"Of course it was nothing of the sort and my jaw dropped when I watched the show at Uri's house.”

During filming for Martin Bashir's documentary, Matt got to experience life with the showbiz legend.

And he ended up acting as a Wacko decoy so the squeaky-voiced singer could avoid the press.

Matt says: "Michael would come up with elaborate plans to escape the crowds.
"He asked me to dress up like him to distract the fans and he would sneak out the back door.
‘ I had to pinch myself when I was sitting on the floor with the King of Pop eating a curry and watching Bruce Lee movies ’

"He produced white socks, a military-style jacket and sunglasses for me to put on.

"The US security team of four bodyguards came with me through the front of the hotel.

"Meanwhile Michael snuck out the back with one bodyguard and had about 20 minutes of hassle-free browsing before he was recognised.

"Another time, Michael and I ordered a takeaway curry and escaped to Uri's house in Berkshire.

"I had to pinch myself when I was sitting on the floor with the King of Pop eating a curry and watching Bruce Lee movies."

Despite the excitement of looking after a global megastar, Matt's memory of the time is tinged with sadness.

During the same period his mum, Majella Norris, was diagnosed with breast cancer and given just six months to live.

But when Matt confided in Wacko, the star didn't waste any time giving his stricken mum a call.

‘ My jaw dropped when I watched Martin Bashir's documentary at Uri's house ’

Matt says: "That really touched me.

"Michael's a very sensitive human being and he'd ring my mum every day to see how she was coping.

“He makes a big impression on everyone, and she really appreciated his best wishes.

"Thankfully Mum pulled through and is loving her retirement."

Michael is currently based in Las Vegas, but Matt is kept busy with other celebrity clients including *****'s brother Jermaine and the model Danielle Lloyd.

Meanwhile his martial arts training business continues to grow.

Matt says: "It's amazing to think that ten years ago I was penniless and opened the account for Matt Fiddes Martial Arts School with just £100.

"A few weeks ago the empire was valued at £30m.

"Here I am at 28 with a great business and Michael Jackson as a client and personal friend."

-----

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/woman/real_life/article695035.ece
I've missed him, he was tall and GOOD hahahaha

true... but does it mean I have to agree with that?

of course not. just ignore it cuz its always gonna be there. i hate it but its just one of those things u HAVE TO ignore unless u can afford being pissed all the damn time lol

lol those poor fans that thought the bodyguard was michael :lol: this article reveals them that it was not. only that they found out 6 years later :eek:

i would go crazy.loool
but maybe they realized it later? i mean Matt seems like 1 head taller then Mike

of course not. just ignore it cuz its always gonna be there. i hate it but its just one of those things u HAVE TO ignore unless u can afford being pissed all the damn time lol

I'm not anyway... just saying
o/t
hi, Roxanne
how r u?:D

Wow this is actually a really good article. I'm SHOCKED!!! Just the wh**** and j**** thing that REALLY annoy me.... :mad: But apart from that it's really good.... wahey! I'll sign up and leave a comment to them in a bit :p

Wow....this is truly an awesome article.... thank you so much for posting :love:

I love such stories, they're great :wub: Michael is great :wub:

this guys certainly milked this over the years seeing as he worked for mj for all of a few days because hes friends with geller. same ole ppl ppl using mj

as if lol

Last edited:
this guys certainly milked this over the years seeing as he worked for mj for all of a few days because hes friends with geller. same ole ppl ppl using mj

as if lol
Yes, indeed, he sure has milked this and the story has got more elaborate everytime he writes it. The first time I read his story, he was an unofficial bodyguard. MJ has not met him since, yet he has transformed himself into an official bodyguard and has also been an MJ lookalike, even though he is several inches taller than MJ. At least he isn't accusing him of anything.

and has also been an MJ lookalike, even though he is several inches taller than MJ.

tell me about it. thats so funny cause i never remember that happening in 2002 :lol::rolleyes:

his claim to fame is being in my sig :lol: wonder what all the stories would have been like if he worked for mj for more than a couple of days :lol:

I'm not sure how fans could have mistaken him for Michael anyway. He's over 6 feet tall! :rolleyes: :lol:

Thanks for posting this article.

I thought the article was pretty good. I would not worry about the bodyguard supposedly being "friends" with that Uri Guller fraud. The guy said some truthful things about MJ.

lol those poor fans that thought the bodyguard was michael :lol: this article reveals them that it was not. only that they found out 6 years later

some how i doubt that ever happened.

^^^^ Dito! Most impersonaters are seriously BAD - NO-ONE can look exactly like Michael no matter how hard they try - Michael is too unique for that lol.... The ones who hang out outside his hotels and stuff wouldn't fall for a trick like that! :lol:

Back