Dissecting Fandom

Ankita

Proud Member
Dear mods, please dont merge this. Thankyou so much!

What I share here is something I’ve always felt...but surprisingly, I become aware of it not during the most difficult of times(like the trial… or was it because during that time I was so completely occupied with carrying on my duty as a fan that I didn’t have the time to give this a conscious though, I wonder!) But its times when I least expect that this realization grabs me and leaves me somewhat sad and sighing...

I felt it after the WMA ’06(which is when I actually wrote this) when what should have been celebrated as a moment of pride and joy turned into a fan fiasco; felt it again after MJJF had to close down(owing to the misbehavior of some “so” called fans); after a simple shopping episode turned into a “bandage” hullabaloo on almost every fan forum; after Michael decided to work with people of his choice to present a remixed version of Thriller!

So this is what I feel about the different categories of “fans” and their fandom. Hope this will help many amongst the community understand and deal with each other better and my heart says someday soon all will belong to only one category-the last one!

Last edited:
Re: Dissecting Fandom

They enjoy his music, it provides them an escape from the drudgery of their mundane lives. They are least bothered about his personal life, his joys and sorrows, or the injustices he’s so often subjected to. To them, Michael Jackson is a source of entertainment only, they like him for what he can “give” to them as an artist, and as long as the music is coming, they’re happy. It’s only when his personal life starts overshadowing his professional one that they get upset. Not because they care for him, but because they care for themselves, and now because of all the trials and tribulations he’s having to face, he’s not able to entertain them well enough. Instead of feeling for him, they turn against him. They are angry with him and with his personal choices. They feel they’ve been cheated in some way. Who cares about the man?.. he could be innocent or guilty...it’s the music that matters to them, and it had better keep coming!

Then there are those who love his music, and know him to be a music genius. They may not know much about his personal life/choices(or they may not have the inclination or time in their busy lives to find out what’s exactly happening to the man), but they do have a soft spot for him. If someone asks them whether he is guilty or innocent, they’d say, “we don’t know, but we hope he’s innocent”. They’d wonder why he had to alter his appearances, or be friends with children, but because they like his music, they’ll try not to bother too much about these questions, though they may feel its all a little “weird” after all. They wouldn’t mind if someone calls him *****, they wouldn’t fight if the media treats him inhumanly. At the most, they’ll feel sorry for him, and go on with their lives. And because they don’t understand his choices, to them, the music will suffer because of the man, and that’s a sad thing.

There are also those who actually believe themselves to be “ardent” fans! They buy his every album, follow his news, hang out for hours at different fan forums reading every bit of information available on him, only to dissect it, scrutinize it, debate over it and make a point! They seem to treat the fan forums as a place to hone their debating skills, to discover the writer in them or to flaunt the critic in them. Its good to keep an open mind, to comment on issues, to express oneself, but not without forgetting that after all it’s a human being at the focus here and not some “thing” that can be pulled apart and put back together just for the sake of giving their brains with all their ideas, beliefs and angst some exercise! Many seem to have forgotten that their real purpose of coming to such forums was not just to while away time, or have some occasional fun or make friends to share their own life stories with, but to support, defend and celebrate Michael and his life! Instead of speaking out in his favour before the world(eg- to the media) they are satisfied to do so only amongst themselves! Sometimes their so called love for him finds such distasteful, embarrassing ex-pression that I pray Michael doesn’t get to read it. Sadly, all of these folks have yet to learn the meaning of “Respect for Michael”. They “think” they love him and “know” him but get confused, even mad when they can’t understand his certain act or behaviour even after dissecting it with all the understanding they have. And often when they put it all back again, there’s a little less love for the man and for fellow fans. (Sometimes the love may creep in back when there’s a good news or a behaviour they can understand or relate with.)And howsoever much they “think” they love and know him, to them the man remains a mystery and that is frustrating.

And finally, there are those who’ve been touched by him on a completely different level. They are the chosen ones who can see his Light, his beauty, and his real purpose on this planet. To them his art is sacred, and so is his life. They’ve been inspired by the music of his songs to feel and hear the eternal music of life. And because of this, they shall ever be grateful to him, and to God. They know him on the level of the soul where they’re one with him, in love, in truth, in bliss. They are also his Army of Love, ready to fight for Truth and Justice, and defend the lofty ideals that he so beautifully and courageously personifies. They know he’s already given them so much, that even if he decides to never give them another song, they shall still love and respect him with every beat of their heart. For them, it’s not just the music, but the man and his message that has in ways indescribable touched and transformed their lives forever. And so much blessed they are for it.

So now when I’ll see a crowd of swooning, ecstatic Michael Jackson fans rejoicing in his music(may be during one of his future performances), I’ll know there’s a difference…a world’s difference in the way each of us loves and admires this magical man, his music…and his message.

Last edited:
The last one is me down to the last full stop, and if you want to know more about the reason that i can relate to it just P.M me for my story. :)

The last one is me 1000%, i actually love Michael Jackson the man a little more than the music genuis because he's changed me and the way i see the world and the way i feel about certain things and people. I am definitly a soldier from his army of love! :wub: To me, fans who are like the last type written...are the real real fans!

I love you Michael, no matter what!

Last edited:

And finally, there are those who’ve been touched by him on a completely different level. They are the chosen ones who can see his Light, his beauty, and his real purpose on this planet. To them his art is sacred, and so is his life. They’ve been inspired by the music of his songs to feel and hear the eternal music of life. And because of this, they shall ever be grateful to him, and to God. They know him on the level of the soul where they’re one with him, in love, in truth, in bliss. They are also his Army of Love, ready to fight for Truth and Justice, and defend the lofty ideals that he so beautifully and courageously personifies. They know he’s already given them so much, that even if he decides to never give them another song, they shall still love and respect him with every beat of their heart. For them, it’s not just the music, but the man and his message that has in ways indescribable touched and transformed their lives forever. And so much blessed they are for it.

This one would be me also
I feel a spritual connection with Michael far beyond his talents
and would contineu to support and lift him high even if he could'nt
perform another day in his life ... I love the MAN Michael Jackson.
Not just the Entertainer ...

Michael Jackson: Always Beautiful In My Eyes

My profile on my MJ websites read

I'm a huge Fan of the Artist Michael Jackson and consider myself a friend of the Man who is Michael Jackson. He has brought me great joy with his music, dance and creativity and has inspired me to be a better person through his life, faith, visions and ideals. I LOVE Michael from the bottom of my heart .

Michael Jackson, probably the most popular, influential and mis-understood person in the world today. Michael is a true artist and master of his craft and uses it to Entertain and also challenge us to be better people. I know I am not the only one that feels a special spiritual connection with Michael. "We LOVE him." as a person far beyond his talents. Michael stands for the Love of God, Children and making the world a better place and those who know him and are closest to him will testify to this.

For those who believe in a higher power or force, Michael is a beloved child of God and I would warn haters to be careful whom you trample on. For others I say simply enjoy The man and his art for the sake of art itself. But Open your mind and hearts to the vision of what can be acheived in this world if we all unite together for the common good of mankind.
Do I think Michael Jackson is perfect or without any faults, Of course not_ He is human - He is stil learning and growing as we all are. But for many he is closest thing to heaven outside of God on this earth for MANY different reasons. Whatever your feelings about Michael are there is no reason to pour out hate on him. I am so in awe of what a gentle and gracious man he has been through all his trials and tribulations.

ect ect ect ....

I don't think you can generalise "Michael Jackson fandom" into categories like that. We're all fans in our own way, I think. :yes:

And L.J, LMAO! Don't hand it in yet. :lol:

So now when I’ll see a crowd of swooning, ecstatic Michael Jackson fans rejoicing in his music(may be during one of his future performances), I’ll know there’s a difference…a world’s difference in the way each of us loves and admires this magical man, his music…and his message.

This an honest & open question - would you liken this third fan behaviour to following a religion? The language you use is more than spiritual; it's almost biblical. I just wonder if for some fans, it is almost a religion as many follow christianity and are un-wavering, almost blinkered in their faith.
If so, I am pleased that they get so much from MJ, but I have to admit that I feel there's something quietly sad about it.
MJ is no deity or spiritual leader - as everyone keeps saying, he's just a human being with a great deal of talent. Does that make me no. 1 or 2?

Last edited:
I remember this thread was put on MJNO. It got closed as fast as it was put up there, for good reason i think.
Fans are who they are - i personally think its odd to think you belong to a certain "group" of fans as described in full detail by someone else.

No I really don't. It's inoffensive and speculative. I can understand why someone may think it's pointless and inaccurate but that wouldn't be any reason to remove it. Anyway this topic is boring and I'm making it worse!

I'm not any of those :mello:

:unsure:

must be something wrong with me :unsure:

*goes to hand in MJ fan badge*

:lol:

Ditto.

The 1st one isn't strong enough to express my fanhood.

The 2nd one accurately describes the level of my musical admiration, but I strongly believe Michael is innocent, and will defend him in conversations (though I try not to get too heated in real life discussions, because that's a tad silly). I'm not much interested in his personal life, although I've inevitably learned a lot of things just by being a fan for this long (not enough to make me "know" him, which goes for every single fan who doesn't hang out with the man). But I really don't care about what MJ and Lisa Marie's marriage was like, the exact number of surgeries he's had, etc. I do actually think he's pretty eccentric and odd at times, but that's not necessarily a bad thing, because that whole persona is also why he's so kind and warmhearted. I don't want to say I "feel sorry for him" because that phrase undermines how successful he is. I feel sorry for what he's been through, but as an overall human being? It's almost disrespectful to cast Michael Jackson in the "feel sorry for him" shelf.

The 3rd one actually describes behavior that's highly annoying to me. I could rant about that 3rd section of fans for a long time, but there's no point.

The 4th one is too freaky. I got an immediate image of the sort of fan it describes, and I'm sure most of us know what I'm talking about. It really does sound like religion, as one poster alluded.

I'm a fan of Michael as an artist only. I have no sexual fantasies about him and what interest me about him is his music.

Last edited:
No I really don't. It's inoffensive and speculative. I can understand why someone may think it's pointless and inaccurate but that wouldn't be any reason to remove it. Anyway this topic is boring and I'm making it worse!

Well you said it not me.
Its silly to have to break down what kind of fan u are. Its actually kinda childish to be honest. 'Oh im this fan' 'oh im this kinda fan im better than you are'....
We are all fans of him. Over and out.

Last edited:
I just want fans to RESPECt Michael. Like thats the only thing that gets me. You can only like MJ's music and not like him as a person....or u can like every inch of the man....but just give the guy RESPECT. A lot of fans, from both extremes of the spectrum DON'T RESPECT him as a person on these boards. And that's what really annoying to me.

actually, i think it's a good idea to put this thread up. why should i be offended by it? i know who i am, and i'm sure people have occasion to view my posts, as they do other peoples' posts. it's a study on the importance of thinking about what would offend you, everytime you may not understand something about something MJ did, or said, or what he is about. it's a thread that should make you ask the question...'how would i feel if i were a target of someone's verbiage? i feel like, if you can do that, you have no reason to be offended by this thread.

i can clearly see where the original poster is coming from, and know that the last category isn't about comparing MJ to God. it's easy to see that the op's intent is not to see MJ as God, but a gift from God. the possible fact that the op may not have expressed it in a way conducive to clarity for everybody, can be understood, however. but i think everybody can tell what the spirit is behind what somebody says, just as they can have a gut feeling on whether MJ is respectful of women or not, for example. it just seems that sometimes, people choose when to display that they know the spirit behind someone's statement.

i don't stalk MJ, i worhship only one GOd, and MJ is not God. but i think i carry most of the traits of the last category. that doesn't mean i chase every media pundit that persecutes MJ. sometimes it's tiring. and besides..i know that eventually, the pendulum will swing the other way for those pundits. the same for anybody who persecutes him, whether it be Sneddon, or whoever. that feeling kinda helps me to relax at some of the crap i see hurled at him. MJ relaxes, himself, at times. i'm sure he knows that the pendelum will swing the other way. it already has on numerous occasions. i mean, he musically owns some of the people that persecuted him, for example.

ao... i appreciate that fans are fans. also, i can understand why some fans may wonder about other fans, cus, well, some fans, for example have tried to sabotage this website, because of territorial feelings. and my feeling is, if they are self centered enough to sabotage a website dedicated to their fav artist, then they may be self centered if they can't relate to something MJ did or said, and they may lack respect for him. and that kind of self centeredness can be destructive...after all, those fans are willing to try to destroy a website. but that is IMO

Last edited:
Interesting...
I sense an element of frustration in this article.
Categories like this work fine as long as you are describing groups of people as kind of amorphous conglomerates with a few common traits. But as soon as one thinks about an individual one realizes their complexity. And it is true enough that "The whole world is queer save thee and me, and even thou art a little queer!" Meaning that every one of us has our own story and our own motivations for loving Michael Jackson, and everyone else's fandom varies from our own in some way that makes it seem curious to us. I find myself wanting to protect Michael from fans who seem to just want a piece of him. But then I see how he gives himself to everyone, indiscriminately in a sense when he is relating to fans. Oh I'm sure that he has become very astute over the years about what "kind" of fan he is encountering (in terms of general categories) but he always seems to offer the same courtesy to all.

I wonder sometimes, if given a choice, what kind of fan (from the four categories above for example) Michael would choose to hang out with. And you know, it would not surprise me at all if he would enjoy spending time with all kinds of fans--winning over the skeptics and rekindling their interest in his art, thrilling the ones who want a piece of him with a token of his talent or his attention, enlightening the "experts" and being nurtured by the devotion and understanding of those who appreciate his mission in life.

I agree with J5Master--Michael deserves respect. He will mean something different to every individual fan depending upon their own filters, perspectives and life-circumstances, but regardless of that Michael deserves respect and the kind of courtesy that he affords everyone else. People need to understand that first and foremost he is a person, and not a product and they should show him the same kindnesses as they would hope to be shown. Fans forget that all too often, and it saddens me.

Re: Dissecting Fandom - What MY take of it is...

Some wonder what MJ's appeal is. Let me explain this in my own words...

The appeal of MJ goes far beyond the music. It touches you on a human level. He is such a humanitarian, and I look up to that so much. He has been hurt and betrayed a lot, and that is another reason why he appeals to me.

You see, when I was young, I was teased, ridiculed, humiliated and harrassednon-stop for about 8-9 years during my time in grade school...for this reason, MJ appeals to me, cause I felt like I was robbed of feeling good about those years of my life. One day, the WHOLE BUS decided to pick on me, pushing me and verbally abusing me, INCLUDING THE SCHOOL BUS DRIVER!!

It got to the boiling point one day when I was in school. I got excused from class to go to the bathroom..I was about 12 or 13 at the time. Well, this one girl (the chief instigator all along) got wind of that, and she and her girlfriend posse followed me in. I was already in one stall, with my panties down at my ankles doing my personal business. Well, SHE decided right then and there to try to open the stall door by kicking it!! My God, I couldn't even go to the BATHROOM alone!! She kicked the door open, and I just saw her and then I saw red. I calmly wiped myself, put back on my personal clothing, straightened up, then proceeded to WIPE the FLOOR with her. I think I cold-cocked her. It was scary, I was that mad. I even entertained thoughts of KILLING her, I was that angry. HOW DARE SHE INVADE MY PRIVACY LIKE THIS?

I left her in a heap on the bathroom floor, with her little girlfriend posse fawning over her saying "Poor Baby"...I just wanted to VOMIT on her at that point. I then went to the sink, calmly washed my hands (as calmly as I could, I was trembling uncontrollably - tried to keep my tears at bay...) and looked down at her and said "Number one, Do NOT EVER harrass me ever again, do you hear me AND Number TWO, IF you want to CONTINUE this little fight, we can meet after school - I'll FINISH THE JOB - COUNT ON IT!"

I went back to class, trembling and trying hard not to cry. It really irritated and hurt me that I had to hurt someone like that to get them to stop the harrassment. I didn't feel that I should have been pushed into doing something like that. It was depressing. I hate hurting ANYONE. And I did NOT like the idea of feeling out of control like that.

Yeah, it happened a long time ago - but I just wanted to share. Sharing makes the hurt less unbearable. I am 49 years old now, and I still think about all of that harrassment and humiliation even to this day...

But getting back to the topic at hand, and that is, why is there such an appeal to Michael Jackson? I think it has to do a lot with fans finding some bit of his persona that they can identify with. For some, it is the black heritage. For others, it is the outcast, the misfit. For even others, it is identifying with their inner child. Whatever the reason, you will find every fan has a good one. That is my personal opinion. Just the other day, I got a personal message from a fan who has cerebral palsy. Not only does this fan identify with MJ with regards to being a "misfit", but also on a social outcast level too.

MJ has many wonderful, fantastic, devoted fans...each one has their own personal reason why they adore him. Michael Jackson hits you in a visceral level....down to the very pit of your soul. If you love the music, you start looking past that and find a very deep connection with the man..It would be very interesting to one day try to meet as many fans as possible, and compile this list of the special qualities that Michael Jackson possesses that keeps fans loyal and enduring...

Michael, If you are coming across my blog, you definitely need to remember these two quotes...I know I do...
My mother taught me such an important lesson while I was growing up and having to endure teasing and humiliation...she said "Sticks and Stones will Break My Bones, but Names Will Never Hurt Me"....I still live by that credo even today...take care!

Remember that famous quote from Friedrich Nietzsche - LOVE reading him...he has such great quotes...):

"That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger"

and THAT is so true also!

This is on my blog...and remember, these are my own personal insights as to why fans are fans....I do not consider MJ to be some sort of deity...I just identify with several parts of his public persona....and of course, I know nothing about him personally...just what I have seen and heard..

Last edited:
I agree with J5Master--Michael deserves respect. He will mean something different to every individual fan depending upon their own filters, perspectives and life-circumstances, but regardless of that Michael deserves respect and the kind of courtesy that he affords everyone else. People need to understand that first and foremost he is a person, andnot a product and they should show him the same kindnesses as they would hope to be shown. Fans forget that all too often, and it saddens me.

Bingo.....

This an honest & open question - would you liken this third fan behaviour to following a religion? The language you use is more than spiritual; it's almost biblical. I just wonder if for some fans, it is almost a religion as many follow christianity and are un-wavering, almost blinkered in their faith.
If so, I am pleased that they get so much from MJ, but I have to admit that I feel there's something quietly sad about it.
MJ is no deity or spiritual leader - as everyone keeps saying, he's just a human being with a great deal of talent. Does that make me no. 1 or 2?
Not in my book. :flowers:

I'll say it once and again and again, MJ is a human being. And thats why he deserves respect from fans. I wouldn't say/do/believe anything to MJ that i would any other person on the street. He's an incredible human being, my role model, a great talent...and for that, he deserves my utmost respect. I don't expect him to be put on a pedestal and I don't expect him to be perfect...and I don't expect him to cater to me.

Thank you for sharing that story Linda. Yes, I think all fans relate in some personal way. As such, no one fan can really characterize another. Human beings do not fall into slots so easily.

Michael said something once about never taking his clothes off because he wants his fans to use their imagination. In the same way the degree to which he keeps his life private infuences the degree to which each fan can emotionally see him as they wish. (Of course that works for haters too.) He is in part a blank slate we paint on. I feel fairly certain Michael knows this. He wrote about it. Is it Scary is one of my favorite songs ....

"I'm gonna be
Exactly what you wanna see"

So it is silly for fans to argue about what Michael really is. They are only arguing their own fantasies.

Well I guess MJ killed that with the YANA video.

I think he plays with that to a certain extent...but i also think there's a certain truth to his outward personality as well...that fans connect to.

Well I guess MJ killed that with the YANA video.

I think he plays with that to a certain extent...but i also think there's a certain truth to his outward personality as well...that fans connect to.
As to the first part: Not completely. :lol:

As to the second: I agree.

Back